VectorLinux
September 14, 2014, 07:48:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Dual Booting With Windows Vista  (Read 2645 times)
RevJack

« on: July 06, 2008, 11:18:44 am »

I'm not sure this is the right place for my question, but I am considering Vector Linux 5.9 Standard Edition, and was needing to know if the bootloader will detect my Windows Vista partition and set it up for dual booting?
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 12:42:42 pm »

It has worked for me under 5.9 SOHO but I've not specifically tried with 5.9 Std.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
RevJack

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 12:44:36 pm »

Thanks! I'll give it a try.
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 01:21:20 pm »

It can work, but Vista gets in a bit of tizz if its own bootloader isn't used.

Grab yourself a little something called EasyBCD and that will do things automagically for you in setting up both Vista and Linux to be booted from the Vista bootloader.  I'm personally using it to boot into Vista and VL64 and have had precisely zero problems.

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
RevJack

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 02:08:30 pm »

Thanks! I'll check into it!
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 10:51:59 am »

I have VL5.9 Standard and Vista on my wifes work laptop. Didn't notice any problems at all with VL or Vista.  I installed LILO to the MBR as usual, but backed up the MBR (Vista original) first.  Just in case.  Haven't needed to restore it.
RevJack

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 01:52:40 pm »

Thanks for letting me know you haven't had any issues!
no2thesame
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 05:14:58 am »

I had no problems with Vista and 5.9 std since December. But I rarely use Vista.
see the thread.
http://supergamer.org/vl/forum/index.php?topic=4996.0
I've just installed SOHO and the kids won't even let me try Vista.  I think it's OK, it appears on the LILO boot menu. (still as "DOS" - which I really like)
no2
RevJack

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 07:17:48 am »

Thanks!
fightingspirit

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 04:01:22 pm »

Just a tip, I've heard that Vista goes loldongs if you partition and resize Vista with any other partition manager (i.e. Partition Magic, GParted) than the one included in Win Vista. Vista just sucks like that.

And yes, I've installed a few distros beside the Win Vista I have installed on my Desktop (which I never use... It's a crappy E-Machines) and both Lilo and GRUB have detected Vista (sometimes the bootloaders call it 'Windows Longhorn').
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 04:04:54 pm by fightingspirit » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 06:16:42 pm »

I resized a Vista partition with something other than Vista itself and haven't had any problems. I think I used whatever comes on the SystemRescue CD, which it stated was Vista compatible. I did this almost a year ago.

Actually, the reason I used another tool was I didn't remember that Vista itself includes a partition resizing tool. What you MUST do is make sure whatever you use is Vista compatible. At the time I did my resizing, Partition Magic, for example, was not Vista compatible. I think the popular third-party partitioning/resizing tools are now Vista compatible, but if you have an older version, you'll have to upgrade or use something else.

I don't use LILO or Grub on this computer. I boot to VL with the VL installation CD. I'd break down my usage to about 85% VL 5.9 Standard and 15% Vista.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 03:21:55 am »

I don't use LILO or Grub on this computer. I boot to VL with the VL installation CD.

For some reason I thought you were using the Vista bootloader to boot VL. When installing to my wife's laptop, I was searching for your posts about it without luck. I guess I know why I couldn't find them Cheesy
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 12:46:41 pm »

Just a tip, I've heard that Vista goes loldongs if you partition and resize Vista with any other partition manager ...

I've never seen the word loldongs before.  I just googled it and got 14, 500 results.  Man, I must really be falling behind.

Oh, and if you google that word, some of the results might not be safe for work, or might not be safe for you if you're squeamish. 

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
no2thesame
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 03:15:35 am »

Like GrannyGeek I resized the Vista partitions with SystemRescue CD. It worked well.
Unlike GrannyGeek, I boot from the MBR with Lilo and it also works well, so far. But I rarely use Vista especially as everything we need (to play and hear DVDs for the 13 yo) works out of the box with 5.9 SOHO (worth every cent).
no2
RevJack

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 10:48:39 am »

Thanks for letting me know!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: