VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 07:58:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: XMMS (for streamtuner)  (Read 4142 times)
VgnFrnd

« on: July 06, 2008, 01:27:14 pm »

This is a request to please package XMMS for SOHO 5.9. Here is the link:

http://www.xmms.org/

I would like to use it because one of the music tuners I prefer, streamtuner, comes preconfigured with xmms as its player. There is no way that I can see to configure streamtuner to use a different player, and thus my request for xmms.

By the way, thanks for packaging streamtuner a while back. It's playing the hits for me on my VL-Lite RC1 installation.  Wink
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 08:58:50 pm »

There is no way that I can see to configure streamtuner to use a different player, and thus my request for xmms.
Try the preferences: Edit -> Preferences -> Applications.

Man I'm so glad we finally got rid of the dinosaur that is xmms.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
VgnFrnd

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 08:14:58 am »

Thanks for your quick reply, Headacher. I saw the /edit/preferences/applications/ path, but when I open it in streamtuner, all it does is display the programs configured without giving me an option for changing them. It doesn't look like that function is enabled in the gui, so maybe I can manually edit the config file? I'll look into it. Meanwhile, it sounds like there is a good reason not to update xmms, so no worries. I'll figure out the streamtuner config thing. Thank you.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 08:43:40 am »

Having used xmms for a long time, I like to have it in my toolbox.

It is available from linuxpackages.net:
http://www.linuxpackages.net/search_view.php?by=name&name=xmms&ver=12.0
VgnFrnd

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 08:55:08 am »

Cool, NightFlyer! Thanks. I didn't know about the LinuxPackages site. Thank you for the link, and for drawing LinuxPackages to my attention.  Grin
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 09:27:23 am »

Thanks for your quick reply, Headacher. I saw the /edit/preferences/applications/ path, but when I open it in streamtuner, all it does is display the programs configured without giving me an option for changing them. It doesn't look like that function is enabled in the gui, so maybe I can manually edit the config file? I'll look into it. Meanwhile, it sounds like there is a good reason not to update xmms, so no worries. I'll figure out the streamtuner config thing. Thank you.
I find this hard to believe. Have you tried double clicking on the "command" you wanted to change? Enter/Return should do it as well.

VgnFrnd

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 09:46:01 am »

OMG!  Shocked I am so lame! I tried double-clicking on the aplication line, I tried right-clicking on the line, and I tried selecting the line and pressing "enter"; but I didn't try clicking exactly on the text in the command cell! What a doofus.  Cry  Sorry about that, and thanks for the tip. I'll be crawling back under a rock somewhere now.  Grin
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 09:58:31 am »

Well, apparently streamtuners GUI just isn't intuitive enough Wink

kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 12:04:35 pm »

This is a request to please package XMMS for SOHO 5.9. Here is the link:

http://www.xmms.org/

I would like to use it because one of the music tuners I prefer, streamtuner, comes preconfigured with xmms as its player. There is no way that I can see to configure streamtuner to use a different player, and thus my request for xmms.

By the way, thanks for packaging streamtuner a while back. It's playing the hits for me on my VL-Lite RC1 installation.  Wink

if you still want xmms or anyone does I have it packaged but if there is not intrest I'll not upload it.

Dave

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
VgnFrnd

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 12:46:40 pm »

Sure! I'll take it. I didn't realize it was old. It just plays, plays, plays; la la la. Smiley Thanks.
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 01:17:38 pm »

Sure! I'll take it. I didn't realize it was old. It just plays, plays, plays; la la la. Smiley Thanks.

Ok will upload it tonight may take a fewdays to get to the Repository.

Dave
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 03:23:34 am »

I uploaded Xmms last night should work in any 5.9 release. it will be in the repository soon.
 Smiley

Dave
VgnFrnd

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 06:06:48 am »

Thanks, kc1di. I'll keep my eye out for it and report back after testing it out.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 07:44:38 am »

VgnFrnd...  It's in the repo now.  Not where you'd expect though.  It's the same version of the package that comes default on the VL5.9 Standard iso.  And as luck would have it, that original package is not in the repos.  Or wasn't until now.  Just refresh your sources and you will find it in packages/x-apps.
VgnFrnd

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 08:51:28 am »

I got it, thanks, exeterdad. It's working beautifully. It's nice to have the same player on my 5.9 SOHO installations as on my 5.9 Lite and Standard. Streamtuner presents my favorite channels in a clean, uncluttered interface, and xmms reminds me of the days when I aspired to a sweet rack of audio components. Ah, those were the days.  Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: