VectorLinux
July 24, 2014, 03:36:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What controls font size in Vasm?  (Read 1878 times)
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« on: July 12, 2008, 09:41:16 am »

Not VasmCC, but the menus called from VasmCC. Can anyone tell me what sets the font size for those?

I've now had this happen on both 5.9 Standard and 5.9 SOHO. When I first install and set the fonts as I want them (usually several sizes smaller than the default), the Vasm menus (partitions, services, etc) all look fine. But, at some later stage, and for reasons I haven't managed to track down. the fonts become much larger. I've yet to find what sets them, and how to get them back to the size I had when I first installed. Anyone?

paul.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 10:43:41 am »

Hi Paul, I think that is controled by qtconfig.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 10:23:31 am »

Hi Paul, I think that is controled by qtconfig.

Thanks. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be it. After playing with qtconfig, I can just about make the text in VasmCC vanish completely, but it doesn't affect the size of the fonts used in the Vasm submenus - they are still much too big.

The really annoying part is that they weren't when I installed, and I have no idea what has caused them to change size.

paul.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 04:19:19 pm »

No response. Surely, someone must know what controls the font size? I've seen the fonts used in Vasm sub menus expand in both 5.9 Standard and 5.9 SOHO. I would really like to have a fix for this problem....

paul.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 06:02:23 pm »

I have no idea, but I did notice (VASM dialogs) the fonts change size and even look nicer when upgrading xdialog with the patched xdialog that uses GTK2. So I am guessing whatever is used to control fonts in GTK1 would be where you need to look. I don't know what that may be, and it's a guess.  Or...  you can upgrade xdialog and your fonts will be controlled by GTK2 configs and match nicely with the rest of your desktop. Assuming you are using GTK2 based Desktops or WM's.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 08:21:13 pm »

VasmCC will behave according to what WM you're running.
If you run KDE, you contol it's fonts and colors from qtconfig
if you run GNOM, XFCE, LXDE, or any other GTK+ oriented WM, you control it with GTK

try using gtk-chtheme or your WM's config utility

The fonts in the external dialogs (the ones that pop up after you click on vasmCC) are controlled by the gtk configuration all the time IIRC
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 08:24:30 pm by M0E-lnx » Logged

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 08:36:23 am »

I have no idea, but I did notice (VASM dialogs) the fonts change size and even look nicer when upgrading xdialog with the patched xdialog that uses GTK2. So I am guessing whatever is used to control fonts in GTK1 would be where you need to look. I don't know what that may be, and it's a guess.  Or...  you can upgrade xdialog and your fonts will be controlled by GTK2 configs and match nicely with the rest of your desktop. Assuming you are using GTK2 based Desktops or WM's.

Grin Great. Many thanks. I upgraded xdialog and that seems to have fixed the problem - fonts have gone back to a much more reasonable size, and, as you say, look cleaner. Works on both 5.9 Standard and SOHO.

I still have no idea why they changed in the first place, but I'm happy with the results of the xdialog upgrade.

paul.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 08:39:30 am »

VasmCC will behave according to what WM you're running.
If you run KDE, you contol it's fonts and colors from qtconfig
if you run GNOM, XFCE, LXDE, or any other GTK+ oriented WM, you control it with GTK

try using gtk-chtheme or your WM's config utility

Thanks. I worked that one out (  Grin by reducing the VasmCC fonts to the point that they could hardly be seen..)

The fonts in the external dialogs (the ones that pop up after you click on vasmCC) are controlled by the gtk configuration all the time IIRC

Shocked I had a look at the gtk config stuff, but couldn't make much sense of it. For the moment, upgrading xdialog seems to have fixed the problem, though I still can't work out why the font size changed in the first place.

Still, looks much better now....

paul.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 10:26:53 am »

That worked out pretty good considering I had no idea how to fix the root of the problem. Have band-aid, will travel. Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: