VectorLinux
October 02, 2014, 06:22:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Upgrading Opera  (Read 3822 times)
ger

« on: July 12, 2008, 12:12:53 pm »

I'm running opera 9.50 using 5.9 gold and the last time I started up opera an upgrade notice pop up and said there was a newer version available.  How is upgrading done, there is no upgrades in the repositories so upgrading using the stand upgrade format is not available.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 05:24:00 pm »

I think the notice is via opera..I received them frequently on an old windows install that was not exactly upgradeable....I have not yet received the notice for the 9x on vector but suspect if a newer version is available you may find it at the opera site and download it for linux. the link is usually in the opera browser bookmarks..you may want to choose the slackware 12.0 version as vector 5.9 was based, to my understanding, on this version. I am not certain if the new version would be an upgrade or require a fresh install..
hope that helps
cheers
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 05:32:55 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
ger

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 05:39:29 pm »

I can down load the update, but I'm not sure how to install it.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 07:59:32 pm »

Sorry..have not figured that out myself but have downloaded the tar.gz and used tar -xvf <file> to untar...you can run the browser from the folder..I am useing it now on VL light..I did see an install.sh...will post if I figure it out...looks good so far
cheers
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 09:30:56 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 07:45:49 am »

Decided to check out the install.sh today on my VL light install

change directory...in a terminal..cd  opera 9.51-2061.gcc4-shared-qt3.i386

su to root and enter password
as root type...   ./install.sh

this installed opera with a prompt for opera6rc and opera6rcfixed...I said NO as they were already installed

opera 9.51 now opens via my toolbar icon in lxde as did the original 9.5 with my personal bar links and bookmarks .

I discovered that there are instructions on the opera site to this effect along with more options on the download page under support/knowledge base/ install , reinstall, upgrade and backup.. if this does not sound like something you want to try

hope that helps
cheers
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 08:00:05 am by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 08:00:50 am »

Great info overhere, thank you.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 10:31:38 am »

It would be nice for someone to package the latest opera for VL. I did try it once but the opera installer is not using the usual configure script. Tongue
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 05:57:31 pm »

I am a longtime Opera user on Linux and Windows and I don't think I've *ever* used a Vector or Slackware package for Opera. What I always do is click on the Download link on Opera's Web site. I select Other/Static RPM as my distribution and vendor and I have a bullet beside Static QT Package and "Download this package in TAR.GZ format." I download to my usual download directory. I then highlight the opera tar.gz file in Midnight Commander, hit F2 and have it Unpack selected file. I then switch to the directory created by unpacking, hit Control-o to get a terminal window in Midnight Commander, su to root, and type ./install.sh (or whatever the correct capitalization is). I use the default directories and type yes (y) for everything. Then I do ldconfig at a prompt, type exit to return to running as user, and type opera at a prompt. No error messages--I'm good to go. Then I type Control-o to return to Midnight Commander. When I'm confident that everything is working, I start Midnight Commander as root, switch to /usr/lib/opera, and delete the directory for the old version.

There's no need to use a Vector or Slackware package for Opera and therefore no need to wait for somebody to package it.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 06:27:08 pm »

I am a longtime Opera user on Linux and Windows and I don't think I've *ever* used a Vector or Slackware package for Opera. What I always do is click on the Download link on Opera's Web site. I select Other/Static RPM as my distribution and vendor and I have a bullet beside Static QT Package and "Download this package in TAR.GZ format." I download to my usual download directory. I then highlight the opera tar.gz file in Midnight Commander, hit F2 and have it Unpack selected file. I then switch to the directory created by unpacking, hit Control-o to get a terminal window in Midnight Commander, su to root, and type ./install.sh (or whatever the correct capitalization is). I use the default directories and type yes (y) for everything. Then I do ldconfig at a prompt, type exit to return to running as user, and type opera at a prompt. No error messages--I'm good to go. Then I type Control-o to return to Midnight Commander. When I'm confident that everything is working, I start Midnight Commander as root, switch to /usr/lib/opera, and delete the directory for the old version.

There's no need to use a Vector or Slackware package for Opera and therefore no need to wait for somebody to package it.
--GrannyGeek

Don't get me wrong as there is a simply instruction on the opera website on how to install opera. Yes it is simple but I hope to package it so that other ppls that are less confident in using CLI can install the latest opera through gslapt or slapt-get. Tongue
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 03:24:33 am »

I never bothered packaging because I thought Vector (Robert) had some kind of arrangement with Opera since they weren't open source. I was just leaving up to him to dink with.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 03:35:20 am »

I never bothered packaging because I thought Vector (Robert) had some kind of arrangement with Opera since they weren't open source. I was just leaving up to him to dink with.

Opera is not open source?
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 06:25:07 pm »

Opera is not open source?
No, it is merely free to use.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: