VectorLinux
September 21, 2014, 07:48:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL5.9 Std Gold on IBM box w/ IDA  (Read 1791 times)
abolis

« on: July 16, 2008, 09:38:23 am »

I initially posted this in Vectorbie Questions, as I'm new to the Vector distro, but 24 hours, ~15 views, and no replies has lead me to cross-post here.

I wonder about the kernels suggested at the boot loader menu.  The only kernel file I can find on the CD is simply "linux".  Do I need to add some kernel parameters to the end of "linux" to get it to boot appropriately, or do I need a different kernel, and where do I find those different kernels for the ISO?

I'm having trouble getting the install CD to see my drive. 

IBM xSeries e232 Server
2x PIII 1.333Ghz
512MB RAM
Compaq Smart Array 4200
6x 36.4GB HDDs in RAID5 Volume

The CD will boot, load the kernel, load the cpqarray module for my controller, and get to setup, at which point it states it can't find any drive.  From CLI, I find that the system hasn't created the block devices necessary to access the drive (/dev/ida/c0d0 and c0d0p{x}).

I started with a 180GB array that had Win2K NTFS partitions on it, have since cleared those and created 3 partitions:
  /dev/ida/c0d0p1 - 512MB ext2 (/boot)
  /dev/ida/c0d0p2 - 2GB swap
  /dev/ida/c0d0p3 - 20GB ext2 (/)

The basic process of booting and accessing my drive from the CD goes like this-
  boot, setup fails, CLI
  mkdir /dev/ida, mknod /dev/ida/c0d0 b 72 0, mknod /dev/ida/c0d0p{x} b 72 {x}
  chmod 660 /dev/ida/c*, chown root:disk /dev/ida/c*
  mount /dev/ida/c0d0p{x} /mnt/{whatever}

As I said, cpqarray module loads AOK (and now that I have it partitioned, it sees /dev/ida/c0d0p{x}), parted and cfdisk see the volume just fine, though fdisk doesn't see the drive geometry correctly, but probedisk won't find the partitions or the drive, and I have to manually create the block nodes every time.

Ideas?
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 09:57:15 am »

have you been able to install it at all and just unable to boot it or is this problem at the installation stage?

bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 10:20:04 am »

The kernel should be fine.

Have you zeroed the disks?

Since you had another OS then there were no
other changes to the physical disks. ( Could be a question)

Have you tried creating the array with a live CD like Slax or
Knoppix, then try an install (This problem has crept up in a
strange way awhile ago).

Those are mine ideas so far.

Bigpaws

abolis

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 11:17:31 am »

M0E-lnx: As of yet, the installation system will not find my disk, much less my partitions, when it tries to install.  So I haven't even been able to try the install yet.

bigpaws: While I have not completely re-initialized the volume with the RAID controller, I have deleted all partitions and rewritten the disklabel completely. I'm not entirely sure what you're asking after asking about zeroing the disks.  And I assume you mean have I tried to create the partitions with a system that appropriately recognizes the controller and automatically creates the block files, and no, I haven't.  I didn't have another good distro CD last time I played with it, but I do now, so I will try that.

Thanks, both of you.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 12:15:32 pm »

M0E-lnx: As of yet, the installation system will not find my disk, much less my partitions, when it tries to install.  So I haven't even been able to try the install yet.

bigpaws: While I have not completely re-initialized the volume with the RAID controller, I have deleted all partitions and rewritten the disklabel completely. I'm not entirely sure what you're asking after asking about zeroing the disks.  And I assume you mean have I tried to create the partitions with a system that appropriately recognizes the controller and automatically creates the block files, and no, I haven't.  I didn't have another good distro CD last time I played with it, but I do now, so I will try that.

Thanks, both of you.

Sorry to hear read that. I'm unable to help at all w/ this issue as I've never owned enough hard drives to have such a configuration Sad
However, as we move towards VL6, I'd like you to try to find an answer to this problem, so that we can take tackle it before the release, so you (and other users with the same hardware setup) dont have to go through your pain.

If you would, please keep a log of what you're doing to get this fixed...
The devel team will appreciate it.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: