VectorLinux
July 22, 2014, 05:12:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from Texas  (Read 3936 times)
anxious

« on: July 17, 2008, 11:07:43 am »

Hi all,

New guy here.  Been running Debian for last couple of years.  Read several reviews about Vector Linux and am really interested in this distribution. 

Anyway, my real name is Mike.  I have been a developer now for the last 26 years.  Got into Linux back in 1998 ( I think ) with Mandrake 7.

May I ask - I am a lil confused about which distro version to download and install.  I am a KDE man, my hardware is good - 2gb ram, 3.2ghz clock speed, nvidia 8600GT video card,  400gb internal drive, 750gb USB external drive, 22" LCD monitor, HP Officejet 7310 all in one printer.  My PC is a Compaq SA4000T - has firewire, several USB ports and a 9 in 1 card reader.

Could someone point me to the right distro to try?

Thank you.

Mike

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 11:27:37 am »

Hi Mike.

Another KDE user here  Smiley  You can download the SOHO version of the older VL 5.8 for free. The current 5.9 version is for sale, but there is a "Live Preview" that you can use to test that one out.

Otherwise, you can use the free 5.9 Standard and install KDE using the package manager.

Welcome to VL,
Roy
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 11:35:01 am »

Welcome Mike!
Glad to have you aboard and certainly hope you decide to stay.  We can use your experience here. With your hardware you can swiftly run anything we have to offer here. nightflier pretty much summed it up telling you your KDE options.

Tell my Mom in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area Hello for me please Smiley
Take care,
Lee
anxious

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 11:44:52 am »

Hi Mike.

Another KDE user here  Smiley  You can download the SOHO version of the older VL 5.8 for free. The current 5.9 version is for sale, but there is a "Live Preview" that you can use to test that one out.

Otherwise, you can use the free 5.9 Standard and install KDE using the package manager.

Welcome to VL,
Roy

Excellent!  Thank you, Roy.  Can you install from the Live Preview?
anxious

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 11:46:07 am »

Tell my Mom in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area Hello for me please Smiley
Take care,
Lee

LOL.  Sure will.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 12:57:10 pm »

Can you install from the Live Preview?

Nope, sorry.
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 03:35:00 pm »

Welcome aboard Mike,
Hope you enjoy the distro..

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
anxious

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 01:47:45 am »

Last night I tried out the live preview - detected my nvidia card and installed the driver - priceless!

As far as pkg mgmt - roughly how many are in the repos?
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 05:25:03 am »

It's a bit tough to compare our package count to other distributions package counts. Most distributions split one single application into countless smaller packages. Don't quote me as this is a example I'm making on the fly. Packages will often be broken down into foo-1.2.3.rpm, foo-1.2.3-dev.rpm, foo-1.2.3-data.rpm, foo-1.2.3-config.rpm and such.  Our packages are all complete.  Just foo-1.2.3.tlz, are all rolled up into one.  Just as if you had compiled it yourself.
Also some of our packages are actually several related programs combined.  For example Gnuchess.  If I remember correctly it is made of 5 or 6 chess related programs and dependancies.  SDL is another.  Several SDL_xxx apps are combined.

So as I've attempted to clarify, comparing package count to other distros isn't easy. Currently our 5.9 repos have a combined count of 1551 packages. But just to screw with your head even more, many of these are dupes with different versions, as packages are waiting in our testing repo, or there are upgrades and fixes as well.

As far as unique packages are concerned.  I haven't the slightest idea. The question hasn't bothered me enough to invest the time to sort through all the dupes to single them out.

After all this explaining, I'll bet your question isn't answered.  But at least you now know what we know Smiley

Edit: Keep in mind we love you guys.  You can always request a package that we don't have in our repos, in the package requests section of the forum.  Our packagers read these threads and do a pretty good job of delivering.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 05:27:59 am by exeterdad » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 08:25:29 am »

WoW!... I've never thought about it that way exeterdad.... But you're the package guy, so your argument makes a lot more sense than mine (My argument="") Wink

You've really put things in perspective... well stated

Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 07:16:24 pm »

LOL exterdad.  Smiley

Welcome to Vector Linux Mike! I am sure you will enjoy this sweet operating system and its wonderful community. Looks like you have a decent computer and you will be impressed with the speed of VL on it. Have fun!

EDIT:
Here are a few things that you may be interested:

Since you are a developer, you may be interested in the 5.9 SOHO version which has several development tools on the second disc.
VPackager http://code.google.com/p/vpackager/ (The included packaging utility for compiling and creating installable packages graphically)
Check out my website www.VectorLinuxSolutions.com. (LOL, have to get that one in there.  Wink)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 07:22:21 pm by Dweeberkitty » Logged

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 07:35:48 am »

Hi, Mike.
Welcome to VL.

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 08:42:59 am »

btw, Welcome to VL Mike. Another guy from Texas here ( I live near pearland (just south of Houston))

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: