VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 01:21:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Removing and updating software  (Read 1825 times)
w2gnd

« on: July 17, 2008, 04:41:19 pm »

I could have posted this in a variety of places because it covers several topics.  I have a Linksys WPC54GX4 wireless card (with a Argo Networks ACG300 chipset).  Linksys doesn't make a Linux driver.  I am trying to use Ndiswrapper to configure the Windows XPl driver to work in my Micron PC TransPort GX3 laptop.  I am using SOHO 5.9 which comes with Ndiswrapper 1.43.  Somehow, I must uninstall it and install version 1.53 which is supposed to work with the Argo chipset.

Do I use the G Slapt package manager to do the uninstall and install?  I can find no documentation on how to use G Slapt.

Thanks
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 07:12:45 pm »

As root in terminal pkgtool.

Gslapt should also give the option of removing Ndiswrapper.

HTH

Bigpaws
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 07:17:32 pm »

You will need to compile your own ndiswrapper as it is kernel specific and would be a nightmare to maintain multiple versions to accommodate all our available kernels. It would be easy for a user to grab the wrong one. Building is very easy.  And the directions are available from the ndiswrapper site, or inside the source archive you will download.

Before doing your make install...  remove your current ndiswrapper package with this command as root:
removepkg ndiswrapper-1.48-i586-1vl59.tlz

Have fun!
w2gnd

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 06:07:18 am »

I followed the instructions on the Wiki site, got an ID number using lspci -n, opened the XP .inf driver file, but did not find my wireless card in there.  So, according to Wiki, the card is not supported.....yet.

I going to re-load Windows 2000 and wait for a newer version of Ndiswrapper.

Thank you for the replies!
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 06:47:00 am »

If your card is not listed inside the XP .inf file...  you must not have the correct Windows driver. Has nothing to do with nidswrapper.
Ndiswrapper isn't really a wifi driver.  It's a "translator" that allows Windows drivers to run on Linux. It's only as good as the Windows driver that's fed to it.

Can you post the line with the cards ID number so we may help you a bit more?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: