VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 05:24:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: IT Guy Vs. Dumb Employees.  (Read 1826 times)
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« on: July 06, 2008, 06:17:12 pm »

Contains what many would consider strong language.

http://www.break.com/index/it-guy-vs-dumb-employees.html

Cheesy
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 06:15:33 am »

This is why I don't want to work in IT.

I've had a foretaste of what this guy had to put up with working in the school library

I've never seen such a creative arrangement of desktop icons though. This video was staged, wasn't it?

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 06:55:00 am »

That video was hilarious.  Thanks exeterdad.

I can't go into too many details, but I know an IT guy who deals mostly with knowledgeable, reasonable people who follow instructions and don't bother him unless it's something serious.

Then there are what he calls his "idiot children."

There's one guy in particular who can't figure out how to use his email.  He's always paging the IT guy.  The IT guy will go over to this man's office, and the man will say something like, "I can't get to ... you know ... that list thing."

"Your email?"

"No, that's not it.  You know, that daily thing."

"Your EMAIL?"

No, no ... that one thing where people write stuff."

"YOUR EMAIL?"

"Well, it's kinda like this thing where you can send messages."

"YOUR EMAIL!!"

"Hey, don't get mad, dude."

Apparently this happens fairly frequently.  It might be exaggerated, but as far as I know the IT guy isn't making this up.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 07:30:13 am by tomh38 » Logged

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 10:33:33 am »

Talk between techies and technophobes / techn00bs is probably equally frustrating for both parties. It's pretty hard for me (as a long time computer user) to explain why or how I do something to somebody who's pretty new to computers. Someone who spent less time with computers though, might understand the problems a newbie faces better, and be able to help better because of this.

That being said, I sometimes don't feel like helping newbies either because you have to explain pretty much everything. This can be rewarding, but also very frustrating.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
dawnsboy
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 07:04:08 pm »

A woman once dialed up the tech support department at Compaq (long before it was bought up by HP) and complained that her new computer would not start up.  This particular case was documented in a book about customer service that became popular a few years ago.  I had access to a copy of the book that was circulating around the office where I had taken a temporary position on a help desk assisting the clients with account access on the company web-site. 

I can no longer recall enough of the conversation between the caller and the tech support representative to make it as funny as the author intended it to be and I do not know if I recall the story correctly but it seems that she had taken the computer out of the box and successfully connected the mouse, keyboard and monitor.  During the course of the conversation the caller was asked to confirm that she had in fact plugged the computer into the wall outlet.  The caller responded by stating that she thought that it had been plugged in but could not confirm that fact because the lights were out...

Most people will respond well to instructions on how to use their computer for its intended purpose if the person giving the instructions understands that most folks are not at all familiar with the technology or the terminology.  It is possible to develop instructions or explanations in laymans terms that meet the needs of most people.  Some people however, simply cannot be helped no matter what you do.

Custom Mini-Itx - VL6.0 Light
fightingspirit

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 02:52:58 pm »

I lol'd at "You can't arrange icons by penis"
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 02:57:27 pm »

I think this video was staged.

blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 12:41:15 am »

bwahaha...
"but i can't arrange them by penis"

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 10:03:02 am »

If I had icons, I guess I would arrange them by Hypatia.

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 01:25:40 am »

Very funny!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: