VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 11:42:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing new version of Sea Monkey  (Read 1739 times)
w2gnd

« on: July 19, 2008, 06:42:12 am »

I deleted my old version of Sea Monkey (1.1.7) and installed a new version (1.1.11).  My problem is I need to click, from the Desktop, "Home", then "usr", then "local", then the "Sea Monkey" script file to start Sea Monkey.

Is there a way to way to put it under "Applications" with the "internet" functions?
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 07:00:07 am »

What Vector version are you using? What window manager are you
using?

Bigpaws
w2gnd

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 07:35:00 am »

Version 5.9 SOHO

Window Manager - not sure what you mean.  Is that GSlapt?
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 07:49:35 am »

Then your window manager should be KDE (actually, it's a desktop environment, but nevermid).
Strange that the icon doesn't show up... it should go automatically into the menu. Cannot help, sorry.
w2gnd

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 08:49:55 am »

Yes, KDE is the windows manager.  I thought GSlapt was but it is a package manager. 

The instructions indicated that I should work in terminal mode, but I've had no luck there so I right clicked on the tar.gz file that I downloaded and opened it with "ark".  I then followed the instructions and, by default, the files were installed at /usr/local/seamonkey with no link to the Sea Monkey script file (I guess that's like a .bat file?) in the window manager under "Internet".

I say I've had no luck with the terminal because its not the same as working in DOS.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 09:40:41 am »

You seem to have downloaded the copy from the Seamonkey project, instead of the Vector Linux package.

Uninstall what you have, then use Gslapt to install the Vector package. You will need to enable the testing repository in Gslapt, then click on the refresh button to get the most recent updates. Then search for Seamonkey - there is a Vector package for the most recent release. Once you have installed it using Gslapt, you should find several entries for it in the internet section of the KDE menu.

paul.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 06:26:01 pm »

That's it. No need to go to the seamonkey webpage. Just go to gslapt and you have a lot of software there.
Ther reason you have to enable the testing repository (in Preferences, Sources, if I'm not mistaken), is that all new packages are tested for a while, so that we can be sure there are no problems before they go to the "extra" repository.

Hope this helps.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: