VectorLinux
July 25, 2014, 04:09:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Which CD burning apps available for Vector?  (Read 1607 times)
AtariFan

« on: July 21, 2008, 05:22:04 am »

Hi,

my question is because K3B doesn't support multisession burning on my Samsung SM 354F Combo. This device is from 2001 and the only program that fully supports it is Ashampoo Burning Suite, unfortunately for MS Win. What do you recommend?

TIA, Ludwig
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 07:46:46 am »

I didn't realize that "cdrecord" multi-session burning was restricted to specific hardware, especially 2001, because that is not really that old in terms of CD burning equipment.

Why don't you try doing it with the command line with "cdrecord --multi" and see what happens, because k3b and virutually all Unix/Linux GUI burning programs are simply front ends to cdrecord anyways.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
AtariFan

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 08:20:09 am »

If K3B is a frontend to cdrecord, I suppose that cdrecord doesn't suit my needs as K3B didn't.
Perhaps I should try a burning app using the cdtrtools? And what do you think of brasero? Is it better than K3B?
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 09:11:11 am »

K3B doesn't support multisession burning

How did you come to this conclusion?

The Windows application is the only one that
supports your burner. Nero and others do not?
That would appear to be strange. After Googling
your burner not much is returned as far as problems.

Maybe you could try Wine?

Bigpaws
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 09:34:10 am »

And what do you think of brasero? Is it better than K3B?
It's my opinion that NOTHING is better then K3B. I'd also bet a large percentage of this forum would back up that opinion. Have you tried burning with the Windows app using the EXACT same blank CD's? Did it work? Your media may not be compatible with your hardware. The firmware for that drive also contains a long list of vendor (CD'S), with product speeds, and other identifiers.  Lot's has happened since 2001.  Lot's of new product.  Is it possible your drive doesn't know what it's looking at? Even if the drive supports the write speeds of the media, it still will not use the media if the mentioned numbers aren't included with it's firmware.

And if K3B is at fault, and it very well could be.  Doesn't mean cdrecord is to blame.  cdrecord is only as good as the settings/commands/detection sent to it by it's frontend.  Or the user executing the commands directly.
AtariFan

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 11:19:13 am »

K3B doesn't support multisession burning
How did you come to this conclusion?
The Windows application is the only one that
supports your burner. Nero and others do not?
That would appear to be strange. After Googling
your burner not much is returned as far as problems.
Maybe you could try Wine?
Nero 5.5 which was included with the hardware didn't work.
Perhaps I should do a CDrecord test on xterm as suggested by lagagnon.
I will try the Ashampoo app with wine.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 08:58:35 pm »

I agree with all of what exterdad wrote.  K3B is the gold standard for Linux.  Brassero isn't bad but the feature set is much more limited than k3b.  Trying cdrecord at the command line is a great idea.  If you get an error message share it with us and we may be able to help you troubleshoot the problem.

There is also a very simplistic graphical front end for cdrecord called vburn which is unique to Vector Linux.  It is included in VL 5.9 SOHO and VL 5.9 Light.  If you're running Standard it should be in the repository.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 10:30:19 am »

If you're running Standard it should be in the repository.

Doesn't seem to be. Would like to try that one.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: