VectorLinux
July 22, 2014, 05:19:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 5.9 LIGHT final has been released  (Read 19373 times)
nooby

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 11:45:57 pm »

Isn't this the link I should use? Is it a link to a light that only do install on a resized and partitioned HDD?
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/iso-release/VL5.9-Light-FINAL.iso

I thought me downloaded and burned a "Live" CD but the first text that F1 showed me was all about
installing.

So I must have misunderstood?

I make  a citation from the text me maybe got wrong.
Quote from: Masta
... there are the other VL liveCDs that are , in a manner of speaking, intended to be somewhat , a portable OS (like the VL Light for example), and I think this was what caitlyn was trying to point out earlier (however they don't offer KDE as the desktop Window Manager, as she also pointed out), but I think you might be amazed at the VL Light's desktop , and I would recommend giving that one a try for a frugal situation.
From here
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=7035.15

So that one has another link?

EeePC 900 1GB 16GB Vector 7.0 STDGold frugal install.
SnowPuppy 5.0 (Lucid Puppy 513 based)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2008, 05:18:08 am »

Light only comes in one version: traditional installable. The installer does contain the tools needed to partition and format a disk.
nooby

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 08:23:46 am »

Hehehe they told me in another thread that light was a live cdd but I could have misunderstood.

Quote from: Masta
there are the other VL liveCDs that are , in a manner of speaking, intended to be somewhat , a portable OS (like the VL Light for example), and I think this was what caitlyn was trying to point out earlier
Noty easy for me to get what he says here. He says there are a live Std that like vl light also are supposed to be used
as a portable os using a cd but he doesn't say that vl light was a live so I misunderstood what the like was pointing to
or referring to. Well nothing bad did happen cause me did ctrl+ald+delete and took it out instantly when I realized it was
no a live cd at all.

But as far as I know the std has some limitations too despite it says in one presentation that it is a full blown one.
As I remember it was very different and no full blown at all. But I maybe miss remember.

I am incredibly bad at reading text.

EeePC 900 1GB 16GB Vector 7.0 STDGold frugal install.
SnowPuppy 5.0 (Lucid Puppy 513 based)
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2008, 10:05:06 am »

Vector Linux Light is designed for tradition installation only.  No Vector LInux variant is designed for the frugal install you want to do.  That just isn't how Vector Linux is designed to work.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2008, 04:39:00 am »

I'm considering getting a copy of Vector Light. Does it have a full set of development tools, to enable the installation of packages from source?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 05:35:09 am by Colonel Panic » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2008, 04:54:03 am »

It does. Install the optional "Dev" bulk package.
EyesOnly

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2008, 09:22:43 am »

Just wanted to say "Congrats!" to one and all for putting together one beauty of a system here as it's been this VL-5.9 Light which has brought me back to Vectoring once again. Wow! I just knew I was missing out on something and this little charmer was IT!

Excellent job people. It truly is. I've been using it now for about 1 1/2 weeks and just having a total blast here. Even my wife and grandson are highly impressed, along with everyone else to whom I've sent along screenshots.

One of the multitude of items which so highly impressed me was the fact that so little needed to be added on my behalf to set it up for what I do in particular. It always seems like, no matter how much software a distro adds/compresses onto a 700meg disk I seem to spend the better part of one to two weeks (at the very least!) adding extra programmes, themes, "esoteric window managers" (as some might consider them), and whatnots to the install for me to be comfortable.

Not so with VL-5.9 Light! I added one extra theme (Nimbus), and a couple of programmes, and that was basically it. I was up and being "productive" within the hour. Incredible!

Keep up the great job people! Far as I'm concerned you've "built the perfect mousetrap."

Amicalement/Cheers!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

(P/S: Wave to Col. Panic and Nooby up there both whom I've come to know from "elsewhere/elsewhen". Wink )

"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a friend, or person, in need and heal them." (jimmymac)
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008, 01:44:17 pm »

Thanks for the name check Smiley Would that be the Puppy forum? That's the other Linux forum where I've got more than 200 posts.
EyesOnly

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2008, 02:50:54 pm »

Wink Righto Col. Panic. The one and only. Only a few for me here while several hundred there. I more or less just lurk in the background here rather than comment. When it comes to technical devices and operating systems these days I'm far from the brightest lightbulb in the package so it's best for me to zip the lip. Over there I make mostly "observations". (i.e. "I'm a forum pest.")

Anyway Col. Panic, great seeing you here as well. I've been truly enjoying this 5.9 Light like you simply wouldn't believe! On second thought... maybe you would? LOL!

Amicalement/Cheers!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a friend, or person, in need and heal them." (jimmymac)
T_Hobbit

Save the Lynx

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2008, 02:50:36 am »

EyesOnly? You're here also?

I'm a regular user of Puppy and an old user of VL (from 1.8 till 3.x at least)
I just installed 5.9Light on my Laptop. Not happy with the 1024x768 resolution.
Where is the driver for the ATI HD2400? vlati script?
Anyone know how to configure the Bison webcam?

Thanks

This little country by the sea!
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2008, 04:20:01 am »

Where is the driver for the ATI HD2400? vlati script?

Yes (so far as I know).

Anyone know how to configure the Bison webcam?

The uvcvideo module supports several Bison webcams (if yours has one of these Device IDs: 5986:0100, 5986:0101, 5986:0102, 5986:0200, 5986:0202, 5986:0203).
Check the list at http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/#devices

If you need help, start a new thread on that, and I'm sure you'll get some responses.
claudioxe

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2008, 11:48:27 pm »

i am new of Vector

is possible install on hard disk live version??
is possible install on hard disk live version of SOHO with KDE??

can you tell me were download live version with KDE (i think it is SOHO) ?

thanks
Claudio
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2008, 06:29:55 am »

is possible install on hard disk live version??

5.9 Light Live Beta 1 is installable.

is possible install on hard disk live version of SOHO with KDE??

No, but there is a traditional installable one.

can you tell me were download live version with KDE (i think it is SOHO) ?

5.9 downloads are available here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/iso-release/
claudioxe

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2008, 06:38:17 am »

thank you

I want install SOHO vector 5.9 with KDE

the 5.9 Light Live Beta 1 (tath is installable) has KDE??

which ISO i have to install (from http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/iso-release/) for free vector linux with KDE?
i prefer have a live iso for installing (now i use Mepis and i can see live version end install it)

Is true that SOHO version KDE is the fastest disto with KDE?

thanks
Claudio
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2008, 07:35:07 am »

the 5.9 Light Live Beta 1 (tath is installable) has KDE??
No it does not.
which ISO i have to install (from http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/iso-release/) for free vector linux with KDE?
VL 5.9 SOHO v5.9.1
i prefer have a live iso for installing (now i use Mepis and i can see live version end install it)
It it NOT a live ISO, but the install process is quite easy and fast.
Is true that SOHO version KDE is the fastest disto with KDE?
I don't know about absolutely the fastest. But it is a lot faster than Kubuntu, Fedora, Mandriva, SUSE that is for sure ;-)

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: