VectorLinux
April 17, 2014, 10:03:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 5.9 LIGHT final has been released  (Read 18943 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« on: July 22, 2008, 07:58:14 pm »

The VectorLinux team is proud to announce the release of VectorLinux 5.9 Light final.

Living up to the Vector motto of "When Choice Matters," we give you lots of choices in a small package. JWM and Fluxbox window managers for those who want something very light and basic, and the exciting new lightweight desktop environment, LXDE for those who want more features. You will find XFE and Pcmanfm file managers, Opera, Dillo and Lynx web browsers. Xine, MPlayer, and XMMS handle Multimedia while Abiword and Gnumeric cover basic office tasks. Of course the usual Vector tools are included to make your life easier. We think you will find this very fast and very efficient and a perfect fit to any pc new or old.

Although centered around lightweight applications, the complete underlying Vector base allows you to modify and customize your system to your liking. Additional applications are available through the package manager or by compiling your own applications. Standard command line tools or graphical versions like gslapt and vpackager are at your disposal.

Download here:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/iso-release/VL5.9-Light-FINAL.iso
md5sum:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/iso-release/VL5.9-Light-FINAL.iso.md5.txt

ENJOY!!
The VectorLinux team
Tommy599

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 11:48:16 pm »

Yess!!! Thank you!! Cheesy

Vector Linux 6.0 Light Final
Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 @ 500Mhz/128MB/20GB
Registered Linux user #470287
t599.mybrute.com <- can you defeat me?
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 08:35:29 pm »

I'm surprised this hasn't shown up on Distrowatch yet since other announcements did get posted today.  (I am assuming y'all have sent the announcement to DW, of course.)

Anyway, I downloaded the iso last night and I hope to have time to attempt an install by tomorrow evening.  I've really been looking forward to this release.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video
VL 7.0 Light
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 09:32:40 pm »

I'm surprised this hasn't shown up on Distrowatch yet since other announcements did get posted today.  (I am assuming y'all have sent the announcement to DW, of course.)
We of course announced to DW but they are of the opinion that we have to many sub distro's and are only willing to publish standard and soho and the occasional live cd of the above. That means light and 64 bit versions are relegated to the sidebar. I argued the point with how many ubuntu knockoff's there are and mini versions of pclos and mepis but doesn't seem to make any difference they refuse. So if you have any influence there help would be appreciated!
Cheers,
Vec
shahgols
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 09:54:26 pm »

We of course announced to DW but they are of the opinion that we have to many sub distro's and are only willing to publish standard and soho and the occasional live cd of the above. That means light and 64 bit versions are relegated to the sidebar. I argued the point with how many ubuntu knockoff's there are and mini versions of pclos and mepis but doesn't seem to make any difference they refuse. So if you have any influence there help would be appreciated!
Cheers,
Vec

That's weird.  What difference does it make to them if we have 2 or 5 flavors? 
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 05:55:27 am »

Maybe we should consider forking off the releases they refuse to recognize? I can't see it as hurting anything. The main VL will still get it's exposure more often, one way or another.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 06:01:26 am »

VL Light was mentioned...just not with a blurb in the center section where one typically would expect it. It was on the left sidebar. I can't get DW to load right now (0858 CDT) to confirm that it is still there.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 08:43:40 am »

As a matter of fact, I just checked, and it is still there...

On the side though.

I've also thoguht about the fork idea.... haven't really considered the pros and cons though

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 09:19:42 am »

I have no influence at Distrowatch.  Quite the opposite.  They have no problem announcing insignificant development releases of obscure distros or 31 flavors of Ubuntu so I agree this is ludicrous.  We're in better shape than Mustang Linux, which Distrowatch refuses to list at all because they don't have a forum for support.

Ladislav does whatever Ladislav wants to do.  It's his website.

Forking?  Not a good idea.  Vector Linux has an excellent reputation.  There are other ways to get press.  I'm sure I'll be writing about Light, for example.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video
VL 7.0 Light
shahgols
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 06:46:41 am »

Maybe one has to point out to DW that when Ubuntu, Suse, and some other distros, come out with alpha, beta, etc. releases, they are listed on their site.  Whereas with Vector, only the final version is promoted.  I bet if they counted how many times their distros were listed compared to ours, we would be well behind. 
mutencillo

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 02:59:59 am »

Can you put the chnagelog??

thanks

Vector Linux 5.9 Light RC1
Dell Latitude C610
P3 1000 128MB RAM 20GB HD
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 07:54:56 pm »

This is a very nice release! Congrats to the devs who worked on it. Looks good, runs very fast. Overall, very good quality!

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 04:53:27 am »

Changelog highlights:

Made KDM required
Updated Docs
Added cyrillic-fonts
Added gambas-runtime 1.0.19
Upgraded Opera to 9.51
Upgraded Pidgin to 2.4.2
Upgraded flash plugin to 9.0.124
Upgraded pcmanfm to 0.4.5
Removed obsolete driver martian
Edited .bashrc and vasm.sh for ssh/scp functionality
- ISO size 381 MB -
alec

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 03:15:55 pm »

two questions
what kernel version is in Light?
and
is adding xfce a trivial task of using the repo?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 05:44:20 pm »

Kernel: 2.6.22.19

If you want XFCE, you will get a better result installing Standard, as it is tweaked for that environment.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: