VectorLinux
September 30, 2014, 03:31:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with TightVNC or any remote Desktop?  (Read 2600 times)
fightingspirit

« on: July 23, 2008, 06:00:46 pm »

So I just installed TightVNC successfully, it was a painless process.

Now that I have it up, I'm trying to view my own desktop as a test. But I can't even do that. I get

Code:
New 'X' desktop is Vector_Linux:7
$vncviewer Vector_Linux:7
Couldn't convert "Vector_Linux" to host address

I have no idea what I'm doing, actually. All I've done is set my password and my "New 'X' desktop" as seen above. So if anyone has the slightest idea of how to set things up so I can get a friend to view my desktop (or even control it), please help! I don't mind if you have tips on another application other than TightVNC, I'll be willing to try it out.

Thanks for all your help.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 06:56:29 pm »

Probably /etc/hosts does not point to your host name.

Why would you need someone to remote desktop? Use
ssh it is better and has better accounting.

Bigpaws
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 07:19:05 pm »

To connect to your new desktop, you need your public IP and the desktop number
it'll be like
<ip>:7 in that case
but make sure you use your PUBLIC IP (go to www.whatismyip.com)
if you're behing a router, you may need to set up some port forwarding to let connections in

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 03:31:51 am »

To test the connection locally on the same machine, use:
vncviewer localhost:7

If you want to access your computer from the outside (the Internet), you will need to open ports in your firewall. This is a huge security risk. You should study security procedures and weigh the risks and benefits before doing so.

TightVNC is a very good choice for remote control, I use it quite a lot. For security I use it in conjunction with ssh.
fightingspirit

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 02:51:33 pm »

To test the connection locally on the same machine, use:
vncviewer localhost:7

If you want to access your computer from the outside (the Internet), you will need to open ports in your firewall. This is a huge security risk. You should study security procedures and weigh the risks and benefits before doing so.

TightVNC is a very good choice for remote control, I use it quite a lot. For security I use it in conjunction with ssh.
Thanks, localhost helped.

As for the using my own IP thing, I know that, but my connection keeps getting refused.
Code:
$vncviewer 123.456.7.8*
vncviewer: ConnectToTcpAddr: connect: Connection refused
*That being my IP address

I already have all the needed ports forwarded. Also, when I connect to my laptop (where vncserver is running) over LAN with my windows desktop running vncviewer, I only get kind of like a portal. I can open any apps I need to (opera, pidgin, mousepad, etc... but not terminal  Undecided ), but I cannot control my mouse or view the apps already opened on my laptop as I expected (i.e. I have an opera window open on my laptop, but I cannot see it through vncviewer on my desktop).

More in depth help would be greatly appreciated, especially on how to connect via the internet, not just LAN. Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 02:53:36 pm by fightingspirit » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 03:54:38 pm »

That is the procedure to connect via the internet.
can you post the command you are using to connect?
also, which ports did you forward?
VNC by default uses 5900 I think (you may need to google for exact port number) for the first desktop. So you will need to forward your private 5900 to something else (ie 1026)
in your case, if you are starting desktop 7, the port will be different.

So to connect remotely, you would do
Code:
vncviewer 123.456.7.8:1026

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 04:04:15 pm »

To me, it sounds like your VL/VNC server machine is blocking your connection via the firewall.  I think you will need to open the VNC ports on your VL/VNC server machine to connect via plain-text VNC.  Your better bet, as mentioned earlier, is to connect via ssh and tunnel the connection over ssh to keep all transactions encrypted (plus you get the benefit of not having to open any other ports in your firewall).

The other issue of wanting to vnc to your machine and see your remote desktop with all it's open windows is another matter.  I think you'll need to use x11vnc to accomplish this.  Well that, or export the display to the remote machine.  Check out x11vnc because I think it's what you're after.

HTH!
newt
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 04:51:31 pm »

VNC needs port 590x port, where x is the number of your desktop. In this case 5907. If have a router, you need to forward that port to your LAN IP (some routers call this "virtual server"). When behind a router, you can not connect to your public IP (the "outside" address") from the "inside".

VNC will display the entire remote desktop with everything that a local user would see.
Again, please heed all the warnings about the security risks involved.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 05:12:12 pm »

Thre is one thing though... your VNC will not display your display 0, like newtor said, YOu may want to check out x11vnc. I've tried this in the past, but never did get it accomplished.
I have however had my share of experience w/ ordinary vnc connections / setups

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 05:54:00 pm »

This is good stuff.  Keep pumping the info, I'll need it later Smiley
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 06:06:10 pm »

your VNC will not display your display 0, like newtor said

Good point. If you want to share a desktop with someone, you can connect to localhost on your own machine, and have your friend connect to the same virtual desktop from the outside.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 06:21:49 pm »

I already have all the needed ports forwarded. Also, when I connect to my laptop (where vncserver is running) over LAN with my windows desktop running vncviewer, I only get kind of like a portal. I can open any apps I need to (opera, pidgin, mousepad, etc... but not terminal  Undecided ), but I cannot control my mouse or view the apps already opened on my laptop as I expected (i.e. I have an opera window open on my laptop, but I cannot see it through vncviewer on my desktop).

More in depth help would be greatly appreciated, especially on how to connect via the internet, not just LAN. Thanks.

I just noted your edit there. The reason why you don't see the same on your remote VNC destop as on your physical screen is because those are separate. Your monitor is display 0. The windows machine is connecting to display 7. You can have several virtual displays running.

If you were to connect the other way (Linux to Windows), you would gain access to the equivalent of display 0 on the windows machine (it only has one). That way you see what is displayed on the monitor. I don't think you can use display 0 for VNC on Linux, but as I outlined above, you can share still a virtual desktop.

What Window Manager are you using? Do you have a Start > Run option? You may need to customize that desktop, using the remote connection.
fightingspirit

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 12:10:39 pm »

Thanks for all the info! I'm currently using Fluxbox. I previously said that I opened all the needed ports, but that 590x thing should really help. As for x11vnc, I'll try that in a bit, after I get this working. Thanks again, everyone.
fightingspirit

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 12:15:02 pm »

Okay, here's the problem now. I try to connect to my IP via VNCViewer on my 12th virtual desktop:

Code:
$vncviewer 123.456.78.90:5912

And it just stalls there. Nothing is happening. No error message. I can't even enter another command because it has stalled. Any ideas?

edit: Sorry for the double post, I swear I thought I clicked on the modify button  Huh
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 03:10:37 pm »

Use vncviewer 123.456.78.90:12
vncviewer will then know to use port 5912
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: