VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 07:53:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer Won't Boot  (Read 1132 times)
gacl
Vectorite

« on: July 19, 2008, 03:09:47 pm »

Hi, Guys,

So, i bought this SSD for my other portable, i installed 5.9, and everything was OK, but the hard drive always showed up as hdb. So i thought: "That's not right, it should be hda". I checked the BIOS and the drive was not being recognized. So i put the jumper on the drive and it is now being recognized by the BIOS but the computer won't boot. I checked with 5.8 Live and the drive's showing up as hda now.
The computer freezes after LiLo. Some of the lights in the computer start to flash but i can't tell what message the computer displays because of the splash screen. . . probably "kernel panic?"

“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 03:23:39 pm »

Try putting the install disk in and reinstalling Lilo so that it finds the correct drive.

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 04:36:24 pm »

Thanks, kc1di.

I did that and i chose standard display to get rid of the splash screen and i can see now that it is in fact a kernel panic. I'm not going to bother anymore with it and just reinstall. Thanks.

Gus

“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 11:14:10 am »

Sorry, I suppose this is too late now. But here it is anyway for future reference:

You probably had to change /etc/fstab as well, since your partitions changed. You could've used a liveCD or something to get to it, and changed all references to hdb to hda.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 08:32:57 am »

I did try that to some extent but since i'm not an expert on this matter i didn't get far. I guess i should had asked about that but i was in such a hurry to get that computer going. . .

Thanks.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: