VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 08:47:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with keyboard when installing Vector Linux Light 5.9  (Read 1916 times)
domscarpa

« on: July 20, 2008, 11:43:02 am »

Dear forum members,

I'm trying to install Vector Linux 5.9 Light (Final version) in an old computer, an AMD K6,  359 MHz, with 64 MB of RAM, 8 GB of HD. The computer has a keyboard with AT connector type (DIN5). This connector precedes the PS/2 connector type, I think.

Unfortunately I can't go ahead with the installation process, as after the boot starts the keyboard is disabled. The keyboard leds are turned off and I can't type anything.

I've tried to install another lite distros (Damn Small Linux, Puppy Linux, Kurumin Light, etc.), but I had the same problem. I only had no problem with an old Conectiva Linux version (Conectiva nowadays has  merged with Mandrake into Mandriva). But I wouldn't like to install an outdated distribution.

A solution could be install an extra board with a PS/2 connector, but I'm not sure this could work. I could spend money in an old computer, without any results.

Does anybody have any guess? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
domscarpa
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 01:35:28 pm »

That is strange because I have installed numerous copies of VL Standard (not Light, but very similar) on many old computers with AT style keyboards. It should not matter that it be a newer PS/2 keyboard. I don't know what to suggest other than:

- something funny in your BIOS setup. Go to your BIOS and check it ....
- a faulty keyboard, keyboard plug, keyboard cable or keyboard to motherboard connector

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
domscarpa

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 06:21:06 am »

Thank you for your attention, lagagnon,

I'll check the BIOS settings. With regard to the hardware keyboard problem, I don't think the keyboard has it, because at the very beginning of the installation it works, allowing me to choose the kernel installation options (“linux” or “ide”). Moreover, the keyboard is currently working properly on the same computer, running Windows Me.

The keyboard is disabled and its LEDs indicators are turned off as the installation goes ahead. As I could go several steps ahead by using an ancient distro, I thought the problem was due to installation procedures.

I didn't finish with the installation of  Mandriva 6, because I wouldn't like to substitute the current Windows Me by a so old Linux version.

A friend of mine gave me a suggestion: first to install an old version, change the repositories and afterwards update the distribution. Do you think this could be feasible with Vector? In this case, it would be of great help if you indicate me a version which surely works with AT keyboards connectors.

Thanks,
domscarpa

---
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 10:30:48 am »

A friend of mine gave me a suggestion: first to install an old version, change the repositories and afterwards update the distribution. Do you think this could be feasible with Vector?

No. Not recommended or easily done with VectorLinux. I would have recommended VL5.9 Standard but as that machine only has 64MB of RAM it wouldn't work for you. Can you not get an extra stick of old RAM somewhere? - they are so cheap these days.

But first of all double check your BIOS settings!

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 09:26:39 am »

Actually VL 5.9 Standard DOES work in 64MB.  Some of the applications (i.e.: Seamonkey, most multimedia stuff) don't because they are too resource intensive, but the core OS works just fine.  Run jwm instead of Xfce, rip out the resource hungry apps, install lightweight ones from the repository and you're done.  VL Light is easier, of course, but Standard does work.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: