VectorLinux
July 22, 2014, 09:25:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FATAl: Kernel too old error when install VL 59 Light final [SOLVED]  (Read 2999 times)
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« on: July 26, 2008, 03:16:08 am »

I am trying to install VL59 Light Final at my old Compaq M300 laptop but at the end of installation it show error "FATAL: kernel too old". Is VL59 Light using kernel 2.2.6 instead of 2.6.22 that come with VL59 GOLD?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 10:24:00 am by hata_ph » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 05:50:02 am »

Light comes with two versions of the 2.6.22.19 kernel. To try the alternate version, type "ide" when booting the CD.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 06:33:20 am »

I am trying to install it using the floppy and ISO method....will it work?
I will try it and tell you all the result...thanks...

EDIT:

I try it again but it seem the boot floppy that I make from bare.i file don't have any option to select the alternative kernel.....
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 06:47:54 am by hata_ph » Logged
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 09:22:18 am »

You're using the vlinstall-iso script, right?   I ran into the same issue with an ancient Toshiba Libretto laptop which doesn't have a bootable CD-ROM drive.  The error you're seeing is NOT telling you that the Vector Linux kernel is too old.  It's telling you that the kernel in the host Linux distribution (what's currently installed) is too old.  I've seen this error before.  It will come up with any of the older 2.4 kernels or prior.  Oh, and no, there is no fix other than upgrading the host installation.

The workaround I used is to boot from a very recent version of Damn Small Linux.  That distro is tiny and can be installed onto almost anything.  Once DSL is installed I can run the vinstall-iso or vinstall-cd script without problems.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 11:27:28 am »

I have not done a floppy + ISO install. I suspect the "too old" reference is to the kernel on the boot floppy. You won't get the option to choose another kernel because that's a function of the CD boot process.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 11:29:24 am by nightflier » Logged
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 07:30:58 pm »

I have not done a floppy + ISO install. I suspect the "too old" reference is to the kernel on the boot floppy. You won't get the option to choose another kernel because that's a function of the CD boot process.

Do you mean is the bare.i file that I use is too old?
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 10:01:19 pm »

I download a 2.4.xx kernel boot disk from slackware website and it still have the same result....is there a 2.6.xx kernel version boot disk available?
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 10:54:16 pm »

Can I use below method to create a 2.6.22 version kernel boot disk?
I have a running VL59 STD on the same laptop...

http://www.linfo.org/make_linux_boot_floppy.html
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 04:06:10 am »

I remember a similar thread a while back. I think consensus was that standard 2.6 is too big to fit on a floppy. It was necessary to compile a special kernel for this purpose. I also believe people used 2.88 MB floppies.

Now, do I understand you have VL59STD running on that laptop? If so you can do a hosted install from it.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 06:47:45 am »

I remember a similar thread a while back. I think consensus was that standard 2.6 is too big to fit on a floppy. It was necessary to compile a special kernel for this purpose. I also believe people used 2.88 MB floppies.

Now, do I understand you have VL59STD running on that laptop? If so you can do a hosted install from it.

I mean I am trying to setup VL59 Light on my Compaq laptop in a different HDD.
So is that mean I cannot install VL59 by using the floppy and ISO method?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 06:53:18 am by hata_ph » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 12:05:03 pm »

Not sure if the floppy/ISO method will work for you, I don't quite understand your hardware configuration.
- Does the machine have a CDROM?
- Is there an OS on the hard drive that the machine will boot to?
- What kind of file system(s) is used?
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 04:54:34 pm »

Sorry for the confusion. Tongue

- Does the machine have a CDROM?
No. Just have an external floppy drive and 1 USB port.

- Is there an OS on the hard drive that the machine will boot to?
Is a blank HDD. I want to install VL59 Light on it.

- What kind of file system(s) is used?
Ext3.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 03:44:40 am »

As Caitlyn said, you will need a 2.6 kernel to perform the install. The DSL boot floppy is here: http://ftp://ftp.oss.cc.gatech.edu/pub/linux/distributions/damnsmall/current/bootfloppy.img (I don't know what kernel it uses).

I had a similar issue on my Toshiba Libretto, which does not even have any USB ports. I found two solutions: The easy one was to take out the hard drive and put it in another machine, install DSL in "frugal" mode and return it to the Libretto. Another workaround was to install DOS on a small partition, then use loadlin.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 10:23:35 am »

The DSL bootdisk is way too advance for me.....instead I found another way to install it....it do require a LOT of work thou....

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=4557.0

It send the floppy-iso/cd-rom installation method will not work as there is no 2.6.xx kernel that can fit inside a 1.44MB floppy disk. But then I do hope some one can make it work as it can help ppls to install VL on some really old hardware...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: