VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Hello from Edmonton  (Read 1510 times)

dukefluke

Hello from Edmonton
« on: July 29, 2008, 12:14:15 pm »

Hello Everyone,

I am a 6 year linux user(still consider myself a novice hehe,maybe intermediate)
First distro I tried was Redhat 6 or 7 can't remember, at a linux install party. Never ended up using it much.
Then I used Mandrake up until after they changed to Mandriva. Next was Slackware then Ubuntu.

Along the way I have used various live cd's based on gentoo(system rescue cd), debian(knoppix), and slackware(slax).

Finally my travels brought me to Vector. I had been using Slackware 12 on my laptop until my hard drive died(can't afford to replace it quite yet) and after a few weeks of using my gaming desktop(XP) I decided to free up some space and try out this Vector linux I had read about on slashdot.

That was 3 days ago and I haven't booted into Windows since.
My main desktop is a 64bit AMD 2.2ghz 1GB ram and let me tell you it is blisteringly fast. boot/shutdown times are amazing!

I also installed 5.9light on a p3 800mhz with 128mb ram and an older 8gb seagate drive and I was also really impressed by the boot times and performace.

I have been looking for a lightweight distro for a while and Vector is the best that I've found!  ;D
Also the Vector 5.9 SOHO Preview is a great way to show people compiz!

Thank you to everyone behind VL. I am happy to join this friendly VL communtiy!

btw which country is VL based out of? For some reason I thought it was canadian.

kc1di

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16
Re: Hello from Edmonton
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 02:20:13 pm »

Welcome Aboard hope you enjoy,

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608