VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 09:52:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Intro: G'day from Sydney,Australia  (Read 3113 times)
kato4059

« on: July 26, 2008, 12:25:33 am »

Hi there :
 I was introduced to VL by a VL Diehard from our informal Westlakes Linux Learners Group.
 We have installed Vector 5.9 Standard Gold , I believe. At first the Distro would not install, it kept "hanging up " so He installed another 64Mb Ram which totaled 128Mb Ram.
 The tower was donated to me ,which is a HP Pavilion 6700 with the following specs.
 128Mb 100MHz SDRAM
 Intel Celeron 600Mhz. Processor
 15Gb Ultra DMA Hard drive
 48X Max. CD Rom Drive
 Integrated Intel Direct AGP3D Graphics
 up  to 1Mb dynamic video memory.
  It is much faster ,except for web browsing seems to lag a bit. At present I am endeavoring to"marry"
 an Epson Stylus Color 740 printer, but I seem to be having problems; I tried the USB cable, but I shall try the Parallel cable.
 My handle is Joe. I live midway between Sydney and Newcastle, New South Wales.
 kato
 p.s. "kato" was from The Pink panther movies.
 My version is :5.9 Standard Gold Dec.16,07

« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 01:06:38 am by kato4059 » Logged
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 01:54:16 am »

Welcome to Vector Linux Joe,

Hope you will enjoy the experience.

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 03:38:43 am »

Hi Kato!  Great to see Vector working on older hardware, giving them a new lease of life, and it positively flies on new hardware.... Sounds an interesting Linux group you have there, for learners, excellent way to learn with others :-)
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 10:20:13 am »

Hi, Joe!  Welcome to the Vector Linux community.  I think you'll find it among the most helpful and friendly out there.

A couple of suggestions:

Seamonkey 1.x and Firefox 2.x web browsers will be slow on your system.  That is to be expected.  If you install Opera it will be faster, as will Firefox 3.0.1.  Opera is faster and lighter than Firefox, including 3.x.

The Epson Stylus series printers are very well supported.  I have a Stylus C66 now and I had a Stylus Color 660 before that.  I'm using mine with a USB cable and it works fine.  Can you describe the problems you are having?  Is CUPS not recognizing the printer or is printing coming out wrong in some way?  Can you share any error messages you get?  I'd bet we can help you figure this out if you haven't done do already.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
kato4059

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 06:46:38 pm »

Reply to kc1di:
I can imagine that I will have a good learning curve;especially using a terminal.
kato
kato4059

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 06:50:47 pm »

Reply to Lyn :
  I cannot see why the majority of "old towers" are thrown away, they could be re-used with "thin clients "
 I believe that somewhere in the U.S. there is a chap that refurbishes bicycles and donates them to
third world countries.
 thanks,
kato
kato4059

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 07:08:16 pm »

Reply to caitlyn:
I cannot believe the friendly and helpful group that is involved with VL. Would you believe that last night at our linux group meeting  our Vector -Guru suggested "Opera" which I made default, and we are zinging thru the ether waves. My Guru is going to send me the setup that he used to enable VL to accept printers.
I shall gladly inform the group my results of my labor to print from Vecto Linux.
regards,
kato Smiley
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 07:10:55 pm »

an Epson Stylus Color 740 printer, but I seem to be having problems; I tried the USB cable, but I shall try the Parallel cable.

I had one of those, same model, and had no problem installing it with CUPS (using the USB cable).
If you try the parallel one, I think you need to enable parallel in VasmCC > Hardware > Hardware Set.
But as caitlyn said, post away, if you have any problems.
kato4059

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 02:15:53 am »

Reply to Wcs:
Thanks once again, I shall try the USB cable if its easier. Too bad that Brother all-in-ones are a pain in the neck for compatibility problems. I have a DCP-115C Brother, and It is a pain for Linux. A friend installed it on my Linux Mint machine and it works fairly good.
 cheers,
kato Wink
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 03:42:43 am »

You are right about Brother printers being a pain for Linux. I have a DCP-1000 multi b/w laser printer. I love the thing as my primary printer since black toner is so much cheaper then the ink cartridges in my HP Deskjet. But...  at the moment it's offline since I can't bear the thought of going through the pain and suffering of getting it running yet again. Unfortunately I do fresh installs of VL often to keep things clean for packaging. But that means I have to wrestle that $#@! printer again.

Welcome to VL by the way. Looking forward to rubbing elbows with you here. Say Hello to "Crocodile Dundee"  for me. ")
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 03:24:15 pm »

You are right about Brother printers being a pain for Linux. I have a DCP-1000 multi b/w laser printer. I love the thing as my primary printer since black toner is so much cheaper then the ink cartridges in my HP Deskjet. But...  at the moment it's offline since I can't bear the thought of going through the pain and suffering of getting it running yet again. Unfortunately I do fresh installs of VL often to keep things clean for packaging. But that means I have to wrestle that $#@! printer again.

Well, that explains half my problems with the printer at my last job...

Welcome to VL by the way. Looking forward to rubbing elbows with you here. Say Hello to "Crocodile Dundee"  for me. ")

Wrong side of the country Tongue

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
kato4059

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 08:00:15 pm »

Reply to Bluemage:
You should be able to purchaes your inks/toners cheaper from suppliers other then the OEM .
Someone told me,that works in the Printing industry, that The reason you can purchase printers so cheaply is because they make up their profit in ink retail.
regards,
kato
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: