VectorLinux
July 26, 2014, 02:54:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My little Vector Linux experience  (Read 3009 times)
AtariFan

« on: July 27, 2008, 10:08:33 am »

Hi,

I've installed VL 5.9 und will sum up:
Pros:
- excellent boot and startup information
- fast
- nice UI with GTK

Cons:
- Microsoft fonts not available
- the CDs I've inserted were not recognized so no music is played
- I didn't found the cd tool vburn recommended in this forum and other apps with gslapt in the standard and extra repositories

I now will kill the installation and again install MS Win 2000 because my hard disk is to small (6 GB) for Linux and MS Win and I am more productive with only one OS.
Perhaps I could run my favourite MS Win apps, especially the scanner an printer tools provided with my Epson device, with VL and Wine, but that could be complicated. I've only tested the great Atari emulator MagiC-PC (runs well with Wine).

See you later, Ludwig
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 10:32:22 am »

the CDs I've inserted were not recognized so no music is played

Do you mean they were not mounted, or that you couldn't acces them from any program?
Audio cd's are not mounted.
Did you try lauching xine and pressing the cd button? That should work.
Amarok also plays cd's.

(If it doesn't work, you night need to go to xine's preferences and change the cdrom device, but I think that is rare.)

I didn't found the cd tool vburn recommended in this forum

Vburn doesn't seem to be in the repository.... strange. It comes as a default in VL SOHO and VL Light, so you might want to give those a try.
Or install k3b, which is a very good cd burner.

I now will kill the installation

If that already happened, I guess you won't be trying what I suggested...  Wink
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 11:08:25 am »

Honestly Ludwig I do not believe you have given the OS enough chance. Learning any new OS takes a little bit of work, and of course, things are done slightly differently than in Windows. But f you are not prepared to put in that time to learn how to use it then yes, going back to Windows is probably what you should do.

We could have helped you and solved all your problems and "cons" had you given us a chance ;-)

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 03:27:34 pm »

Sorry to hear you are going (or maybe even gone at this point). lagagnon hit the nail on the head with his comments. Windows fonts aren't available.  Nor will they.  They belong to Microsoft and are not free to distribute. Don't know about you, but Microsoft is one of last companies we want to get ticked at us.  But all you had to do is ask. Installing them and obtaining them legally is easily enough.  We just can't distribute them.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 04:54:54 pm »

well ...fear is natural..but the programs included with the free download of vl5.9 std gold rival any program windows includes by such a large degree that a few fonts of limited actual useage seems hardly an excuse for not testing further.

k3b is perhaps the best tool for burning cd and dvd and requires you to run it once as root prior to useing as user.

playing cd and dvd is as simple as opening xine and clicking cd or dvd and there is additional choice of playing cd and mp3 via xmms and playing movies in mplayer..the cd does not auto play as with windows somewhat cheesy cd player as there are several options not one.

the abiword word processor is far better than winwrite or what ever it was called and medit is so much better than notepad all I can suggest is adding metapad to windows which is a freeware for windows..even it is lesser...cups for printers has a wide selection of drivers and is as simple to use as the browser and is found in vasm a splendid root tool

perhaps you installed vl-light ...vlburn is a very good light burner and seems to work very well for me on vl-light although I am spoiled by k3b...

perhaps you installed vl5.9 soho...I can hardly imagine win2000 a preferance

I have winXP but have to admit I used damnsmall or puppy on a thumb for internet as xp was always at risk..I found that that little 256meg thumb did everything windows could do better and cost 20 bucks for the drive..it also had xmms, xine, k3b and abiword with spellcheck,printing, plus firefox and opera amoung others.

if you do not like the default xfce window manager in std you may customize fluxbox, jwm, twm or install kde..you have considerable choice conpared to windows...I run a screensaver as wallpaper in fluxbox and the icons are what ever I want includeing windows ones and are stored in a drawer that rolls out at will and disappears when you take the pointer off it

if you have a desire and a few bucks to spare perhaps confidence can be had by aquireing a used computer..my first was ten dollars at a yard sale..this one cost 50 but I aquired all the parts seperately at yard sales and built it myself...I have no issues playing cd's and watching movies, typeing and printing documents, reading pdf books, downloading and burning iso,installing desired programs...it is great fun and for the cost of a program for windows that is likely included in any distro you download or is free to addon with the click of a button...

vector linux is without question a superior alternative to anything windows has produced. compare on two units with any windows install and a vector install and you will discover the differance. like it or not.

If you have any issues the forum is glad to assist, simply provide enough information about the unit and the issue so others in the community can help you move on.

my guess is 2000 is just familiar and works for you, and that is fine also, computers after all are just appliances...one likes hover another whirlpool

best of luck to you
  cheers
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 05:04:30 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
AtariFan

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 05:21:17 pm »

Honestly Ludwig I do not believe you have given the OS enough chance. Learning any new OS takes a little bit of work, and of course, things are done slightly differently than in Windows. But f you are not prepared to put in that time to learn how to use it then yes, going back to Windows is probably what you should do.
We could have helped you and solved all your problems and "cons" had you given us a chance ;-)

I'll give a chance because of problems with configurating my MS Win2k system (copying the Docs&Prefs folder to another drive not possible, I've changed the registry for this).
The hardest issue with Vector was that data CD's were not mounted (invisible in Thunar) I suppose that can be solved - what would you suggest? Does it depend on user privileges?

Regarding the Microsoft fonts, I understand that they cannot be distributed on the VL CD's, but AFAIK Microsoft offers them for free download - where and how to install them on Vector?

Another question: Are there howto Docs for installing, Configuring and tuning Wine here in this forum?

regards, Ludwig

bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 05:29:54 pm »

For MS fonts use the search bar and type in ms fonts first hit is this:

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=6097.0

Now onto CDROM make sure that you are a member of plugdev
and you should be good if you are using HAL.

Wine docs are at winehq:

http://www.winehq.org/

There is also good information in the HOWTo section.

HTH

Bigpaws
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 05:38:24 pm »

For installing ms fonts I just copy all the *.ttf from your MS system and paste it inside /usr/share/fonts/TTF
Then open a terminal as root and run
fc-cache -fsv
then reboot the system or restart your X server and it work.

PS: I duno is this legal or not. You might need to double check the fonts path as I am not sure of it... Tongue
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 05:52:09 pm »

Just in case..did you mount the drive prior to looking for the content of data cd/dvd..commercial cd/dvd just open a player..xine.. and click the button cd/dvd...with data cd/dvd first click the device icon on the toolbar in xfce and check it is mounted or mount it first.

there are lots of free fonts for windows in ttf

hope that helps
cheers

Everything Is Relative
AtariFan

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 11:50:10 pm »

For installing ms fonts I just copy all the *.ttf from your MS system and paste it inside /usr/share/fonts/TTF
Then open a terminal as root and run
fc-cache -fsv
then reboot the system or restart your X server and it work.

Thank you, that helped
AtariFan

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 11:57:32 pm »

Now onto CDROM make sure that you are a member of plugdev
and you should be good if you are using HAL.

Thank you, now the Data CD's are mounted and Thunar pops up showing the CD's
BTW the XPDF Viewer is very good, it also correctly displays pdfs which some older versions of acrobat cannot apply.

Regards, Ludwig
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 04:04:45 am »

Thank you, now the Data CD's are mounted and Thunar pops up showing the CD's

Just for the record, if you opt to use VL-HOT instead of HAL (VasmCC > Hardware > Mounter > VL-HOT), your cd drive should be available in a little applet icon near the taskbar. (in VL Standard) Is it there?

The amount of choice can be a bit overwhelming, as there are so many options and different ways of doing things. That is usually a good thing, though. You can use it as you like it. Very light or full of features, manual or automatic, etc.

Another question: Are there howto Docs for installing, Configuring and tuning Wine here in this forum?

You can also buy Crossover Office. You have to pay for that, but it is basically wine all ready to use. Maybe wine isn't difficult at all, but when I first started using Linux, I preferred not to have the extra hassle and got it.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 07:58:52 am »

BTW the XPDF Viewer is very good, it also correctly displays pdfs which some older versions of acrobat cannot apply.

Yeas xpdf is good and very fast and light. However, it is a bit clumsy at saving files as its directory structure on the save window is complicated. Otherwise great!

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 10:10:44 am »

However, it is a bit clumsy at saving files as its directory structure on the save window is complicated

Yea, especially when opening from within the browser, I find it always wants to save it in the temp directory... very messy.
I've tried searching for a way of assigning it a "default" save directory, but no luck so far...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: