VectorLinux
November 22, 2014, 09:39:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector Linux experience improved but not yet perfect;-)  (Read 3852 times)
AtariFan

« on: July 28, 2008, 06:56:55 am »

Hi,

thanks to bigpaws and hata_ph I can now access my cd drive and have already installed the MS Win Fonts from a backup CD. Sound is played too, but not with Xine:-/ I've tried gXine from the slackware repo - didn't start. I would like to install a newer XineLib (V1.1x is out), but didn't find such with gslapt. This tool seems a bit too primitive - there is no command for continue search?! Perhaps I should install XineLib, gXine and more apps with vpackager and gcc? I don't understand why binary packages downloaded from elsewhere often don't run - this is Linux? But I will build the packages because I will stick to this Linux. I like it more than my old MS Win 2000.
Another minor bug seeming to me is that the Vector-Docs on the default desktop are only loaded with Seamonkey browser, although Firefox is selected in the "Preffered applycation" applet. Dragging the Vector docs into a Firefox Window displays only:

Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=Application
Name=Vector-Docs
Comment=web browser
Categories=Application;
Exec=browser_vl
Icon=globe-bubble
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false

I appreciate the usually friendly responses here very much, but when I f. e. say "no K3B" after noticing that it's far below the Ashampoo burning suite for MS Win in usability and functionality - believe me, please. I've not yet tested CD burning with the other Linux programs.
I will continue these little VL experience comments later.

Regards, Ludwig
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 07:11:09 am »

Xine and MPlayer usually play well for any normal music, video and CD. Did you encounter any error using it?

VL is still a small comunity if compare to other big linux distro. All the packages in VL repo may not be 100% all up to date. For any new packages that not available in the repo you can either package it yourself or request it from the VL repo.

Happy Vectoring.... Tongue
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 10:21:37 am »

To my knowledge, selecting preferred browser through the applet is merely creating a launcher for you using your favorite browser. Not sure there is a easier way to do this, but it's how I always do it:

In a terminal as regular user launch this command:
mousepad .bashrc

Then scroll down to about line 33.  Can't tell you exactly since I don't remember if my .bashrc is modified.
You will see this, or something very close:
## Set this for your first choice
export BROWSER=seamonkey
#export BROWSER=firefox
#export BROWSER=opera
Change it to this:
#export BROWSER=seamonkey
export BROWSER=firefox
#export BROWSER=opera

In case you can't see the difference, I added a comment (#) to the seamonkey line, and removed the comment in front of the firefox line. In case you aren't familiar with coding, the comment makes a line "invisible" to the shell that is processing it.
Save the file and log out, then log in again, or reboot, whatever is easier for you.
Firefox will now be available for all applications or shortcuts that call for the default browser ($BROWSER).

Let me know if you have troubles Smiley
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 10:42:32 am »

I don't understand why binary packages downloaded from elsewhere often don't run - this is Linux?

Probably because of missing dependencies.
Is this Linux? Yes. You have lots of software in the repository that other people tried to make sure runs fine, and no need to go to any website and download stuff...
That's cool, no? If the stuff you want is not there, ask for it in the package requests subforum. Someone will likely jump along and help out.

Slackware packages will almost always work, but you need to make sure you have the necessary dependencies. That's why the repository is better, and sorts the dependencies out for you.

I would like to install a newer XineLib (V1.1x is out), but didn't find such with gslapt

You'll find 1.1.14 in the testing repository. In gslapt, go to edit > preferences > sources and enable the testing repo.
A lot of the software in the VL repo is in the testing directory.... usually, it runs fine; I never have any problems. But yes, it's being tested, so it's less risk-free than the extra directory. You can always downgrade it if you find some problem with a "testing" package. And report the problem, of course.  Wink

"no K3B" after noticing that it's far below the Ashampoo burning suite for MS Win in usability and functionality - believe me, please

I don't think you're lying.  Wink But it would take a lot more than a burning suite to make me go back to windows. Especially when k3b rips audio cd's, burns audio, images and data, and burns cd's and dvd's. I'm happy with it, and don't have to spend $49.99 in Ashampoo.

Certainly, not all software in Linux is the best you can get. Sometimes software that's only available for other platforms is better... I have lots of friends who would never abandon Photoshop, for example. That's up to the software developers... Say, if you want games, Windows is definitely the best OS for that.

But I will build the packages because I will stick to this Linux

That's a great way to learn stuff.... you'll be mastering configure options in no time.  Smiley
But, honestly, sometimes building software can be a pain.
Try the repos first (including testing), a package request, vpackager, slackware packages.... after you try these, you;ll probably have your needs catered for.

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 10:45:55 am »

Oh, just something else about burning software... you're not stuck to open-source software in Linux.
You can check out Nero for Linux, for example. http://www.nero.com/eng/linux3.html
AtariFan

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 10:58:35 am »

Xine and MPlayer usually play well for any normal music, video and CD. Did you encounter any error using it?
I could play a music CD with XMMS, but when I tried the same CD again some hours later, the sound got chopped after the first second. xine only causes a repeated mechanical noise from the CD drive with the same CD.
Thus the only reliable way for sound so far is the command "play *.wav" in xterm which indicates that the soundchip from ESS was configured  properly
Any help is very appreciated.

Regards, Ludwig
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 11:09:45 am »

Put a music CD in the drive, or play an mp3 file with xmms, open a terminal, type alsamixer and unmute any channels you need with the "m" key. Use arrow keys to incr/decr levels. Read "man alsamixer" for more info....

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
AtariFan

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 11:12:30 am »

I would like to install a newer XineLib (V1.1x is out), but didn't find such with gslapt

You'll find 1.1.14 in the testing repository. In gslapt, go to edit > preferences > sources and enable the testing repo.
A lot of the software in the VL repo is in the testing directory.... usually, it runs fine; I never have any problems. But yes, it's being tested, so it's less risk-free than the extra directory. You can always downgrade it if you find some problem with a "testing" package. And report the problem, of course.  Wink
Sounds promising. I'll try the testing repo
"no K3B" after noticing that it's far below the Ashampoo burning suite for MS Win in usability and functionality - believe me, please

I don't think you're lying.  Wink But it would take a lot more than a burning suite to make me go back to windows. Especially when k3b rips audio cd's, burns audio, images and data, and burns cd's and dvd's. I'm happy with it, and don't have to spend $49.99 in Ashampoo.
The 49.99 price is only for offering the burning suite with a great discount. Usually the burning suite costs only 10 EUR (V8 now) and I got V6 that suited my needs for free from Ashampoo. The service is great too.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 12:02:10 pm »

The 49.99 price is only for offering the burning suite with a great discount. Usually the burning suite costs only 10 EUR (V8 now) and I got V6 that suited my needs for free from Ashampoo. The service is great too.

Maybe you can run it with wine... But if it's not on their compatibility list, the chances are slim.
AtariFan

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 02:17:52 pm »

To my knowledge, selecting preferred browser through the applet is merely creating a launcher for you using your favorite browser. Not sure there is a easier way to do this, but it's how I always do it:

In a terminal as regular user launch this command:
mousepad .bashrc

Then scroll down to about line 33.  Can't tell you exactly since I don't remember if my .bashrc is modified.
You will see this, or something very close:

#export BROWSER=seamonkey
export BROWSER=firefox
#export BROWSER=opera

In case you can't see the difference, I added a comment (#) to the seamonkey line, and removed the comment in front of the firefox line. In case you aren't familiar with coding, the comment makes a line "invisible" to the shell that is processing it.
Save the file and log out, then log in again, or reboot, whatever is easier for you.
Firefox will now be available for all applications or shortcuts that call for the default browser ($BROWSER).
Let me know if you have troubles Smiley

I followed your tip, edited the .bashrc, logged out and logged in - no change. The Vector-Doc launcher on the desktop always starts seamonkey. Mysterious, but I won't dig into the launcher code. To me, the launcher file seems really complicated. It at last passes the index.html of the docs to Seamonkey - wouldn't it be easier to drop a vector-doc.sh "browser vectordocpath/index.html" on the desktop? Not possible?
The second bug is, what is the XFCE-applet for selecting the preferred browser good for, if I then still have to edit the .bashrc? The applet should do this.

Regards, Ludwig

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 02:44:11 pm »

The second bug is, what is the XFCE-applet for selecting the preferred browser good for

I think that's just to start whatever browser you want when you click the "planet laucher" or the "Web Browser" icon in the menu.
AtariFan

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 04:18:43 pm »

[To me, the launcher file seems really complicated. It at last passes the index.html of the docs to Seamonkey - wouldn't it be easier to drop a vector-doc.sh "browser vectordocpath/index.html" on the desktop? Not possible?

The story about the vectordoc launcher continues. I've changed the command field in XFCE's "Edit Launcher" dialog to
   browser /usr/doc/VLHelpCenter/index.html
but again Seamonkey is launched. The same command in the XTerm starts Firefox. Not logic. Annoying.
Any help is very appreciated.

Regards, Ludwig
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 04:56:04 pm »

browser /usr/doc/VLHelpCenter/index.html
um..should that read firefox /usr/doc/VLHelpCenter/index.html?
cheers

Everything Is Relative
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 04:59:28 pm »

No actually.  It was correct the first time.  Not everyone loves firefox Smiley

AtariFan, something has gone wrong with your edit. Please show me the output of:
cat .bashrc | grep BROWSER
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 05:25:59 pm »

sorry.. it works for me, I just right click the icon, open with mousepad, edit and save...firefox opens the doc via the xfce desktop icon rather than seamonkey...must be a special set up..ok..i'm going... Smiley
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=Application
Name=Vector-Docs
Comment=web browser
Categories=Application;
Exec=firefox /usr/doc/VLHelpCenter/index.html
Icon=globe-bubble
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 05:29:04 pm by overthere » Logged