VectorLinux
November 26, 2014, 01:02:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Enable compiz-fusion  (Read 2447 times)
carlo

« on: July 29, 2008, 01:47:16 pm »

Can somebody help with instructions to install and enable at start up compiz-fuzion please... I'm interested in the cube, since it's very helpful for my job but I haven't been able to get it work correctly under VL 5.9 soho

The problem I came up when I tried is that I end up without title bars in windows,

Can somebody give me instructions to follow from a fresh install please? (I'm going to reformat my pc)

Thanks

kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 03:21:10 pm »

... I'm interested in the cube, since it's very helpful for my job ....

Could you explain me what is what you find useful about that? I always thought it was only about eye-candy...

Unfortunately, I cannot help you in compiz issues Sad

carlo

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 04:00:40 pm »

I need to have many applications opened at the same time so alt+tab is not enough... I need to split the applications in different desktops and the cube allows me to switch quickly between desktops.

I already got so used to it so that's why I want to have it working in soho... Having it by default turned on without clicking the compiz icon would be great

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 04:09:09 am »

Try using gslapt to install it

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 04:17:47 am »

To have it auto start will depend on what desktop or window manager you are planning to use. Not sure about KDE, I think there is a auto start folder somewhere. Xfce has a setting that will run a command on start up. MenuButton > Settings > Autostarted Applications > AddButton. Then fill in the info in the pop up. 

The command you would use for whatever method you choose is '/usr/bin/compiz-fusion.sh'

HTH
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 10:51:23 pm »

I had a similar problem when I had installed compiz rather than compiz-fusion from gslapt or was it that I installed both. Any way I just set it up again on a fresh install and installing compiz-fusion only work just fine. Using it now.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
carlo

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 04:25:35 pm »

Thanks stretchedthin, I think I also installed both maybe that's the problem I'll try installing just compiz-fusion

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 01:19:29 am »

the cube allows me to switch quickly between desktops.

You can also map some key combination to desktop switching in Control Center > Regional Accesibility > Keyboard Shortcuts.
I mapped Alt+q to previous desktop and Alt+w to next desktop, but you can map whatever keys to it... and, at least in xfce, you can make the pager switch to the first one when it reaches the last desktop.
There are a lot more options, also depending on the spacial layout of the desktops, but I find "previous" and "next" work fine.

Not to slag off the cube, but just thought I'd mention this because it is even faster (because you don't waste time watching the cube spin).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: