VectorLinux
November 23, 2014, 01:33:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector Linux experience improved but not yet perfect;-)  (Read 3855 times)
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 06:10:33 am »

What exeterdad is saying is that your $BROWSER variable might not be set to firefox, and that something might have gone wrong with your editing of .bashrc
I think the browser_vl command in the launcher of the docs calls browser, which in turn depends on the $BROWSER variable. Don't ask me why.

You can see what the $BROWSER variable is currently set to by doing:
Code:
echo $BROWSER

If it still says seamonkey, open up a console and do:
Code:
export BROWSER=firefox
It should then be set for firefox, BUT it won't be applied to another console or survive reboots... that's why it needs to go in the .bashrc (or /etc/profile if you want to apply it to all users).
If the line that does the export BROWSER command to firefox in uncommented, and the other export $BROWSER lines are commented, then it should work and if it doesn't, I'll be puzzled.

Of course, you can always edit the launcher like overthere said and put the firefox command there directly, instead of browser. But a more robust solution is fixing the $BROWSER variable. Or even get rid of the icon and bookmark the file in firefox.

Now that I think about it, It might be an idea to develop a vector utility to change the $BROWSER variable in .bashrc or /etc/profile.

Hope this helps.
AtariFan

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 01:13:00 pm »

AtariFan, something has gone wrong with your edit. Please show me the output of:
cat .bashrc | grep BROWSER

#export BROWSER=seamonkey
export BROWSER=firefox
#export BROWSER=opera

AtariFan

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 01:32:42 pm »

You can see what the $BROWSER variable is currently set to by doing:
Code:
echo $BROWSER
firefox

Now that I think about it, It might be an idea to develop a vector utility to change the $BROWSER variable in .bashrc or /etc/profile.
Less than 30 lines Pascal, but I suppose awk would be the best tool here.

Regards, Ludwig
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 01:40:41 pm »

Like I said, I'm puzzled. Strange that with $BROWSER set to firefox, the vl-docs laucher still goes for seamonkey.
I cannot test it, as I deleted that launcher.... Perhaps I should look more carefully at the browser script.

I guess what you said is that typing browser in xterm starts firefox, but double-clicking on the launcher starts seamonkey.... very strange.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 02:37:00 pm »

AtariFan I owe you a apology. Although I did test if firefox was the default browser on my system. And got the results I expected, I did not attempt it with the docs shortcut on the desktop as you were talking about. I didn't have it any more.  I recreated it using the .desktop text you posted earlier and sure enough Seamonkey popped up.

Turns out $BROWSER is NOT seen by the /usr/bin/browser script.  I added my own debugging code to the script to print out $BROWSER and the entire inviorment from the script when it was launched by VLdocs.desktop/vl_browser.

$BROWSER was not there.  Very odd! I can't figure out what is causing this, but it seems you've found a bug in VL.
You can set firefox globally (for all users) with this command as root:
echo "export BROWSER=firefox" >> /etc/profile
Log out.... and this time (confirmed) it will work.
AtariFan

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 05:11:19 pm »

I suppose awk would be the best tool here.

After saying so, I made first steps in AWK with help of a little reference from O'Reilly.
   awk '/^[ ]*export BROWSER=/' .bashrc
prints the line that starts with "export BROWSER=" ignoring spaces at first
But how to substitute the whole line with the desired export-command?
AtariFan

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 06:12:08 pm »

You can set firefox globally (for all users) with this command as root:
echo "export BROWSER=firefox" >> /etc/profile
Log out.... and this time (confirmed) it will work.
Even if I'm single (as many Linux users;-) I won't set firefox for all users if it is only wanted by me.
After removing seamonkey the vector-doc launcher starts firefox.

Regards, Ludwig
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: