VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 10:48:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wireless DHCP problem  (Read 972 times)
johnnycanuck

« on: July 28, 2008, 08:06:15 am »

I have finally got VL5.9 installed on my laptop.  My laptop does not have a built-in ethernet port so I have been using a PCMCIA ethernet card (no problems with that).  I have just configured a Trendnet USB wireless dongle and its working....except the PCMCIA ethernet card has to be plugged in (not connected to a cable, just plugged into the slot) or I can't get an IP.  This problem has nothing to do with the make of the USB dongle as I also tried a Linksys USB wireless adapter and the same thing occurred.  I believe it may have something to do with the DHCP service trying to start during boot and then quitting because it doesn't see the PCMCIA ethernet card.  I would like to get a PCMCIA wireless adapter in the future and I can see a problem if I can't force DHCP to start during the boot.  Issuing the command dhcpcd at a command line does not start DHCP if only the wireless USB is plugged in.

To recap - DHCP won't start unless my PCMCIA ethernet card is plugged in.  How can I get around this.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 10:01:11 am »

do you get an interface loaded up?

iwconfig or ifconfig should show you something like eth0, eth1, wlan0, ath0 or something similar

after that try dhcpcd <interface_ID> as root

johnnycanuck

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 11:44:11 am »

Yes, as I said earlier the USB wireless dongle works perfectly as long as my PCMCIA ethernet card is plugged in.  It is wlan0.  If I boot with the PCMCIA ethernet card plugged in I get an IP from my router.  If I boot without the PCMCIA ethernet card plugged in I cannot get an IP.  iwconfig shows the adapter but no IP.  iwlist shows all the wireless nodes in my neighbourhood.  dhcpcd wlan0 I haven't tried and may work but I'd rather have the network just start automagically like it does on my P4 laptop with Ubuntu.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 11:55:48 am »

In that case, try editing your network settings via vasmCC or vasm.
if you have to, edit your /etc/rc.d/rc.wireless to reflect the right interface.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: