VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Wireless DHCP problem  (Read 1058 times)

johnnycanuck

Wireless DHCP problem
« on: July 28, 2008, 09:06:15 am »

I have finally got VL5.9 installed on my laptop.  My laptop does not have a built-in ethernet port so I have been using a PCMCIA ethernet card (no problems with that).  I have just configured a Trendnet USB wireless dongle and its working....except the PCMCIA ethernet card has to be plugged in (not connected to a cable, just plugged into the slot) or I can't get an IP.  This problem has nothing to do with the make of the USB dongle as I also tried a Linksys USB wireless adapter and the same thing occurred.  I believe it may have something to do with the DHCP service trying to start during boot and then quitting because it doesn't see the PCMCIA ethernet card.  I would like to get a PCMCIA wireless adapter in the future and I can see a problem if I can't force DHCP to start during the boot.  Issuing the command dhcpcd at a command line does not start DHCP if only the wireless USB is plugged in.

To recap - DHCP won't start unless my PCMCIA ethernet card is plugged in.  How can I get around this.

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Wireless DHCP problem
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 11:01:11 am »

do you get an interface loaded up?

iwconfig or ifconfig should show you something like eth0, eth1, wlan0, ath0 or something similar

after that try dhcpcd <interface_ID> as root

johnnycanuck

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 12:44:11 pm »

Yes, as I said earlier the USB wireless dongle works perfectly as long as my PCMCIA ethernet card is plugged in.  It is wlan0.  If I boot with the PCMCIA ethernet card plugged in I get an IP from my router.  If I boot without the PCMCIA ethernet card plugged in I cannot get an IP.  iwconfig shows the adapter but no IP.  iwlist shows all the wireless nodes in my neighbourhood.  dhcpcd wlan0 I haven't tried and may work but I'd rather have the network just start automagically like it does on my P4 laptop with Ubuntu.

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 12:55:48 pm »

In that case, try editing your network settings via vasmCC or vasm.
if you have to, edit your /etc/rc.d/rc.wireless to reflect the right interface.