VectorLinux
November 26, 2014, 01:13:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: TSClient and x11vnc  (Read 2332 times)
taime1

« on: July 28, 2008, 09:18:13 am »

tightvnc just doesnt cut it. its slow and rather lousy. besides that, have to compile or sift through several versions at linuxpackages before you find one that only halfway works.. i would love to see tsclient for a client and x11vnc for a server. thanks in advance. you guys do an awesome job.

x11vnc: http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/

TSClient: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tsclient
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 09:28:28 am by taime1 » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 09:54:44 am »

To tell you the truth, The only difference I can see between the 2 clients is the GUI in TSClient. Other than that, seems the same.

I use both. TSClient for work(with rdesktop or just rdesktop sometimes)
do vncviewer --help to see all the avialable options
The compression rate and the quality level is what really slow your connection down.

Tsclient wouldn't make any difference because it is simply a front end to a vnc backend.

taime1

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 10:00:58 am »

does this mean that i must sacrifice quality for speed? i have never had to do this in the past. what about x11vnc for a server? i have used a few, and x11vnc is by far the best. thanks for the quick response.

i will read more about getting tightvnc to run properly. but is there a way to get it in the repos?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 10:03:59 am by taime1 » Logged
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 06:39:20 am »

have packaged x11vnc and that one should be moved to testing soon.

tsclient is a bit more of a challange.. as it's gnome program and require a lot of gnome dependancies. see what we can do though.

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 07:14:21 am »

The only difference I see from tightvnc to x11vnc is that tightvnc does not allow you to make your display :0 (native display) available over a network. x11vnc does exactly that.

tsclient and others (like avahi) are front ends to these cli tools. IOW, you can install tsclient, but if you dont have tightvnc or some other vnc backend, the VNC features will be disabled.

taime1

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 08:47:01 pm »

thank you very very much for your consideration and explanations. i guess i will have to read more to understand why tightvnc isnt running correctly for me as a viewer.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 01:55:38 pm »

I have ran into bumps with the vncserver due to the font path problems in VL. Pay attention to the command output in the terminal...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: