VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 06:25:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: exiting window manager freezes computer.  (Read 1538 times)
dukefluke

« on: July 30, 2008, 09:59:14 pm »

I used the exit button to logout of xfce. I got a black screen and my comp froze. I tried ssh'ing in from another comp and couldn't connect. Reboot the machine and when I logged in my tool bar was different. Some of the icons were showing a generic icon and weren't setup. Plus my 'menu' button now says "xfce menu" and it doesn't have the vector logo now.

At the time I needed to logout a lot because I needed to restart the window manager to test some settings. I tried exit 3 times with the same results. Froze with black screen. I CAN use ctl-alt-backspace to return to the login prompt and choose session, etc. Which is what I am now using. Not a big deal really I can keep doing it the way I have been but I'd like to know why this happens.

I am using 5.9 Standard GOLD and my kernel is :
Code:
2.6.22.14 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Nov 25 19:27:11 MST 2007 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

Right before this happened I had just downloaded and installed SUN's virtualbox software. Not sure if that was a coincidence or not but thought I'd mention it.

I'd like to get my 'Menu' button(start_button) back with the old Vector linux logo and text  Shocked.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 03:50:36 am »

One thing to test would be to create and log in as a new user to see if problem persists. If issue is only for one user, there is a problem with that profile.
dukefluke

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 08:35:51 pm »

Ok so I created a test user and everything was fine so I guess my profile did get corrupted. As a test I decided to try and log out as the new user. Black screen, computer freezes. Rebooted and the new user profile was corrupt too! Only the icons and the arrangement of the virtual desktops on the taskbar. The start button was ok this time.

ctl-alt-del works ok to return to login menu.

Should I just create a new user and copy over my data? or is there a simpler way to fix this?  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: