VectorLinux
September 30, 2014, 05:32:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 080731 truecrypt-6.0a [VL59]  (Read 2148 times)
exeterdad
Vectorian

« on: July 31, 2008, 05:51:22 am »

I've packaged truecrypt-6.0a for VL59

Package: truecrypt-6.0a-i586-1vl59.tlz
MD5: bf307cb269967f66fa2f0e1703771425
Package Size: 1,886 KIB (1.84 MB)
Installed size: 5,000 KIB (4.88 MB)

Sources: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/source/testing/x-apps/truecrypt
truecrypt: TrueCrypt (Free open-source disk encryption software)
truecrypt:
truecrypt: Manages encrypted TrueCrypt volumes, which can be mapped as virtual
truecrypt: block devices and used as any other standard block device. All data
truecrypt: being read from a mapped TrueCrypt volume is transparently encrypted.
truecrypt: This package supports TUI or GUI modes.
truecrypt:
truecrypt:
truecrypt: License: TrueCrypt Collective License Version 1.4 - See License.txt
truecrypt: Authors: TrueCrypt Foundation <syncon@truecrypt.org>
truecrypt: Website: http://www.truecrypt.org

After testing this package, please take a moment and come back to this thread to let us know how it works for you.
VgnFrnd

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 09:45:06 am »

So far, so good. TrueCrypt is behaving as expected, which means that it still is not auto-correcting for user error.  Roll Eyes   I forgot I had to create a partition table and specify a file system before encrypting an external usb drive. At least, I think that's what happened. I'm starting over and will report back tomorrow.
sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 11:35:10 am »

When you try to mount a volume in VL 5.9 standard it gives you the following warning:

Your system uses an old version of the Linux kernel.

Due to a bug in the Linux kernel, your system may stop responding when writing data to a TrueCrypt volume. This problem can be solved by upgrading the kernel to version 2.6.24 or later.

So it seems to use this app you really need to upgrade to a newer kernel first.

Also when mounting a volume as a user it asks for an administrator password for which I type my root password but it then fails to obtain administrator privilages, I guess I could solve this by changing permissions but being a newb I'm not sure what needs changing. Otherwise it works fine here on VL 5.9 standard when as root.

Chris
VgnFrnd

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 12:13:54 pm »

I can confirm the behavior that sparkyhall reported. Tomorrow, after TrueCrypt finishes pre-encrypting the external USB drive I have it chewing on, I'll see if I get any of the kernel errors that TrueCrypt warns about. I've never upgraded my kernel before, but maybe it's not too late to learn how?
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 02:56:34 pm »

About the kernel, message, you always can download and install one from here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/kernels/
As an example, for installing 2.6.25.7 kernel you have to download the modules and kernel image:

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/kernels/kernel-2.6.25.7-i586-1vl59.tlz
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/kernels/kernel-modules-2.6.25.7-i586-1vl59.tlz

And as an option the kernel sources (needed to compile some stuff):
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/kernels/kernel-src-2.6.25.7-i586-1vl59.tlz

Then as root, install all of them with installpkg:

Code:
#installpkg kernel-2.6.25.7-i586-1vl59.tlz
#installpkg kernel-modules-2.6.25.7-i586-1vl59.tlz
#installpkg kernels/kernel-src-2.6.25.7-i586-1vl59.tlz

iirc the install script updates lilo, but if it doesn't, you just need to reinstall lilo with vasm and the new kernel will be available the next boot as another lilo option.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
exeterdad
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 05:00:02 pm »

About the kernels. NEVER use the right click and chose to install the package! It will upgrade your kernel. Meaning your old WORKING kernel will be removed and replaced with a kernel that "might" not work like you expect.  I made that bone-head mistake a couple weeks ago.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 01:13:06 am »

iirc the install script updates lilo, but if it doesn't, you just need to reinstall lilo with vasm and the new kernel will be available the next boot as another lilo option.

Oh, I thought these kernel packages only put vmlinuz-kernelversion in /boot and then it was up to the user to make vmlinuz link to the new one... or somehting.
I would prefer to have control over what is in lilo myself, rather than boot immediately with the new version.

Come to think of it, is it possible to put two entries in lilo, one for each vmlinuz-kernelnumber so that one chooses at boot-time which kernel to use?
sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 01:53:04 am »

Come to think of it, is it possible to put two entries in lilo, one for each vmlinuz-kernelnumber so that one chooses at boot-time which kernel to use?

That's exactly how I do it.

Chris
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 04:10:19 am »

Great. Thanks a lot.
VgnFrnd

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 07:31:28 pm »

By now, I've tried a few strategies for using TrueCrypt to encrypt the entirety of a 500GB external USB drive, but I'm not having any luck. I've tried formatting the drive prior to encryption and after encryption, but neither works. I haven't updated my kernel yet, so that could very well be the problem. I've created an account on the TrueCrypt user forum, and I will begin asking some questions there soon. I could be making some kind of silly mistake. TrueCrypt worked ouf-of-the-box on another distro I used to use, so I'm new to troubleshooting the program. Meanwhile, I'll next be trying to encrypt some container files instead of the entire drive, and see how it goes.

By the way, this post is not really a bug report. I don't have any reason to suspect that there is any problem with the packaging. I'm just reporting my results thus far.
exeterdad
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 05:47:17 am »

Keep up the good work VgnFrnd! I'm not going to lie to you. I'm not familiar with this app, nor does it seem something I'd need. I also don't have a spare drive or anything to play around on.  I'm a bit chicken testing on my "live" machine Smiley

Since you've used it in the past, and are the requester, I guess that makes you our resident expert.
Keep us posted!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: