VectorLinux
October 20, 2014, 01:07:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Two access points  (Read 4277 times)
brig001

« on: July 31, 2008, 11:23:51 pm »

Hi.  Does anybody run two wireless access points with VL?  I have two (different manufacturers) access points with the same SSID and encryption key, but different radio channels.  Windows seamlessly hops between them without the user even knowing.  Vector just sits there with no connection when you physically move the laptop from one zone to the other.
I haven't done any major investigation yet, just thought I'd ask if it should be possible.
brig001

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 12:13:41 pm »

Apologies, there's not much to go on there...
I am running VL5.9 standard on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4300 with a Cisco (Atheros) PCMCIA card.
I have found that even with two access points in range, if I switch the active one off, I lose the connection and when I switch it back on, the connection is not restored.  I think not restoring is the problem, but despite going through the wireless set up guide (very useful for getting it running in the first place) I cannot get the connection to re-establish.

For info, we have one concrete wall through the middle of the house which is all but impenetrable to wifi, hence the need for two access points.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 03:07:37 pm »

I am not sure, but I think the ifplugd daemon should take care of your wireless confections. You can enable this service with Vasm.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
brig001

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 12:46:54 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion,  I did some googling around and thought it might work, but no joy.
I didn't know if it should be enabled for text or graphic mode, so I tried both separately and together.  When it is enabled in graphic mode, I can't connect at all.  Wireless works when it is enabled in text mode, but it still doesn't re-connect when the signal is lost.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 06:18:29 am »

I didn't know if it should be enabled for text or graphic mode

That depends on which mode you start vl with. If you have lilo as the bootloader, it should give you the options graphic and textmode.
Even if it doesn't, you set the default mode in VasmCC > Service > Bootset.
4 is the one for graphic mode with X.

If you want to start vl on other modes, other thatn the default one, you can pass other options in lilo.conf with the append line, like this, for example:
Code:
# Partition 2: Linux TUI mode
image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/sda2
    label = textmode
    append = "2 "
    read-only

2 and 4 are text and graphic modes, 3 and 5 are text/graphic but server modes.

Then you can enable the services for each mode in VasmCC > Service > Services
If your default mode is 4, then enable ifplugd for mode 4 (or for any other modes you might use).

But I guess you've done that already, and still doesn't work, no?
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 06:37:50 am »

Just to add a bit more, you can hop between modes by typing as root (for example):
Code:
init 2
(or whatever runlevel you want to use)
This makes it a very fast way to turn services on and off, by going to runlevel 5 from runlevel 4, for example. Especially, if you enabled VL-init in VasmCC > Service > Init System.

Not that this helps anything regardin your problem....  Wink
Wish I could help more.
brig001

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 06:48:46 am »

I boot into GUI mode.

So if I enable it for text mode in VASMCC, will it only be active for text mode, or, when the PC boots, will it load in text mode and still be resident at the GUI login screen?

ifplugd doesn't seem to do what I want anyway, so this might be irrelevant.  When ifplugd is active for GUI mode (which I use), I can't connect to the wireless network, but I haven't pursued this so will have another try tonight to see if I can find errors/logs etc.

Does everyone run ifplugd, or should it re-connect anyway?
Why would it not re-connect to a single access point after the connection is dropped?

I should have mentioned earlier, I am using the wext driver as in the how to, is it worth trying another like ndiswrapper or madwifi?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 07:00:17 am by brig001 » Logged
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 07:27:26 am »

So if I enable it for text mode in VASMCC, will it only be active for text mode, or, when the PC boots, will it load in text mode and still be resident at the GUI login screen?

If you enable it for text mode as well as graphical mode, then ifplugd should be started whatever mode you use.
If you only enable it for runlevel 2, then it wouldn't be started when you boot into yout GUI login screen.
I guess you want it to be enabled for runlevel 4.

Note that I don't even know what ifplugd does....  Wink
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 08:59:06 am »

I found this:
https://tango.0pointer.de/pipermail/ifplugd-discuss/2004-April/000004.html
Check the link in the middle of the message. Looks interesting, and might be right up your alley. I'd give it a try for you but only have one access point.
brig001

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 01:07:25 pm »

Thanks, that looks promising, but no idea if it can work with WPA as there is only one configuration.  It doesn't run at all out of the box, but think I've got it sussed.  Will try with just one SSID in the list and see how it goes.

Exeterdad, does your wireless re-connect automatically if the signal is dropped?  I still think that this is the underlying problem, but don't honestly know enough about this.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 02:06:32 pm »

Re-connect automatically?  What's that?  Smiley
As far as I know VL doesn't have such tools.  The drawback of fast start ups and low overhead is not having tons of daemon's running and such.  Kind of a pain, I know.

When I lose my connection I run a script I made that executes the needed commands to get connected.  Your mileage will vary. I lose my connection mostly because ndiswrapper doesn't like my windows driver and just craps out on occasion.

I believe wicd or wcid or whatever it's called will re-establish a connection if lost.  It's actually a slick program. But it's not in our repos.

If you need help writing a script let me know.
nightshift

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 08:22:00 pm »

Hi brig001:

hmmmmm Huh If I unplug my wireless Linksys wrt54g router my wireless Linksys wusb54gc adapter disconnects from the router. But as soon as I plug my router back in it automatically reconnects.
    hmmmmm??? I have a D-Link wireless router laying around somewhere and will connect it up in a few days and let you know if it will connect having the same conditions you have.

nightshift   
brig001

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 12:37:22 am »

OK, so I have two options:

Use the same setup as nightshift and get automatic re-connection or use the script from exeterdad.

Nightshift, which driver are you using?  I will probably try ndiswrapper then madwifi, there is a recent topic about madwifi so that should help.

If I can't get this working, I will try a script and contact exeterdad if I have problems if this is OK.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Brian.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 08:53:41 am »

Just PM me if you need help with a script. Just in case I loose track of this thread.
nightshift

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 12:27:30 pm »

Update:

I found my D-Link wireless router and connected it in the garage and tried to move the laptop from the house to the garage. NO GO, as soon as it saw the D-Link it would not connect, but when I returned  to the house the linksys wireless would not connect either, I had to connect manually.

I also have PCLinuxOS on the laptop and I can move from the house to the garage and back to the house and it connects to either wireless router automatically without intervention from me. In PCLinuxOS the usb adapter was recoginized right away and it uses the rt73usb driver. Vector didn't recoginize the usb adapter and I had to compile the driver from the website (the rt2x00 Project) and had to use rutilt to connect.

It looks like script time in order to use Vector.

nightshift
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: