VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 10:02:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector soho 5.9 GUI killed by update  (Read 1998 times)
Rod

« on: August 10, 2008, 02:58:03 pm »

Hi,
   I decided to install Vector SOHO 5.9 on a P4 machine,
The previous dual core AMD machine with pcie nvidia 8600 card gave a black screen
and froze on logout requiring ctrl-alt-delete to reboot after this, as no recent nvidia drivers are suppled in
Vector.

Proceeded----
1G memory, and an nvidia  Gforce 2 AGP card.
I did   gslapt-get --update first
All seemed well until  gslapt-get --upgrade in terminal.
It complained MD5 was wrong but invited --no md5.
then    gslapt-get --upgrade --no md5

It then proceeded to kill the install GUI,
and froze on yellow stripes on the screen.
So first wrong DLX download and now this.
Took it off my main machine as mentioned as it did not like
the Nvidia 8600, a newer card.

Unfortunately old nvidias are leprous too, after upgrading.
So dear old Vector aint what she used to be.
Good night
Good luck
Rod

« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 09:02:35 pm by Rod » Logged
Rod

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 04:12:00 pm »

Nobody has any answers it seems
for a ? stable distro that breaks itself on upgrade.
Not impressed!
Rod
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 04:43:52 pm »

Vector was never designed for upgrade. There was an attempt
awhile ago and scraped. Too many systems were borked by
trying it.

Bigpaws
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 04:45:38 pm »

Vector was never designed for upgrade. There was an attempt
awhile ago and scraped. Too many systems were borked by
trying it.

I think bigpaws is mentioning --dist-upgrade. That's the one that is very risky.
You've done a normal --upgrade of packages, right?
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 04:49:20 pm »

What packages were upgraded?
You can find a list in /var/log/packages (sort it by date).

(The md5 error was probably htop. There's a problem there with this package. But that wouldn't bork your GUI, so far as I know.)

Did you only upgrade with the default repositories or enabled the testing repository as well?

Also, do --update before --upgrade, to refresh the list. Use slapt-get instead when upgrading to see what's going on:
Code:
slapt-get --update
slapt-get --upgrade
Rod

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 07:39:19 pm »

Oh well,
            I never met a distro that is borked by its own upgrade except Debian unstable.
Thought I would try it, cos some of the proggies were a bit dated, as it was released a while ago.
Guess its in the manual somewhere that Vector is borked by slapt-get --upgrade, cos the GUI sure is with
an nvidia gforce2 agp an older card in the system.
Oh well its like Debian Sid, breaks its toys without special scripts like Sidux.
Hmmm
Best
Rod
Rod

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 08:54:34 pm »

Thought I might have put slapt-get  ---dist-upgrade by mistake.
But no, it was slapt-get  --upgrade only, and this gives an incompatible md5 warning,
and invited a --no md5 option which borked my previous install.
Just tried it on a new install, which I left alone!

Guess there had better be a warning given, maybe it only affects nvidia based machines.
Pretty dangerous if it left out there to Vector installations I must say.
Just try it you 4 star folk and see for yourselves.
I find it an anomaly that an apparently stable distro cannot be upgraded safely.
Best
Rod
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 09:04:27 pm by Rod » Logged
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 06:45:39 am »

I have a nvidia Machine, so I though I would try the slapt-get upgrade. Also had to do the no -md5 thing. My Nvidea is newer a GeForce 6150 LE. but I also had trouble with it after the upgrade.
   My computer began to log off the x-server everytime OpenGl was called for, screensavers whatever. Even just clicking on "OpenGL/GLX information" in Nvidia X Server Settings application would kick me back to log in.
  So I went to Nvidia and downloaded the driver from their site.  This has fixed the problem, perfectly. 

I am going to try running the upgrade again and see if it breaks the Nvidia driver. If we are lucky it will just break th VLnvidia driver and leave the Nvidia one alone.

I'll let you know in a future post.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 07:27:55 am »

Did the slapt -get upgrade again, even included testing in the repositories. No problem the second time around. Ran a couple openGL games and many screensavers, nothing that broke it before is breaking it now.  As far as I can tell it is running perfectly.

If you want to keep Vector linux going try downloading from http://www.nvidia.com/object/nv_swlicense.html and run sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-71.86.06-pkg1.run from the Console Login under System at the login screen.  The link given is for the NVIDIA GeForce 2.

Oddly, enough I did not have to do the --no-md5 thing this time around, maybe somebody ironed that out. Anyway, I still think Vector is a great distro, maybe you have spotted something that can help make it better.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 12:57:44 pm »

The vlnvidia package is the same as the nvidia drivers (but it might be different versions than the very latest).
Also, it is just the file that allows you to build the module, so you need to go to Vasm > XWindow > Xconf to install it.
When you do that, you should choose "expert install" and choose the right driver version for your card, by checking in the nvidia webpage.

Rod:
If you didn't do these steps to compile a new module, I don't think the upgrade alone would change anything in the nvidia driver.

Maybe some other package is responsible for the problem?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: