VectorLinux
September 19, 2014, 09:28:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Printer Sharing  (Read 2726 times)
BigTimer

« on: August 03, 2008, 05:01:57 am »

Hi,

I'm trying to share the laserjet 1300 on my vector linux box so other (linux & win) computers on the LAN can use it.

The printer works fine on my PC but I can't connect to it from other PCs; yet the CUPS webpage shows that it (printer) is published to the network. What could the matter be?

(The printer is connected to my PC on the parallel port, so I chose 'LPT #1' on the device page during the CUPS configuration; I tried using ipp & http but then I couldn't print locally.)
peaceful_salman

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 11:36:28 am »

Hi there!
I am having the same issue! I got my HP Deskjet 840C installed correctly on my Vectorlinux PC, it is actually an old machine with only 256MB or RAM and Pentium-III 800Mhz processor. And I really am trying to figure out how to share my printer with my windows 7 machine, again on CUPS it shows that my printer is published. Ohh! one second, I think I forgot to set a static IP address on my Vectorlinux machine. ok! let me try do that and if I got things to work, I'll come back and post another reply!
And Guys if anyone has a way of doing this, sharing the printer with another winodws based machine do share with us.
Best wishes,

~sam~
peaceful_salman

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 11:46:31 am »

hey guys!
I just noticed this post is two years old! waw! and i am the first one to reply to it. making me think!

anyways, i got my vectorlinux machine on a static IP address on my LAN, and again tried to add it on my windows machine (add my printer which is published on my vectorlinux machine), but no luck!  there has to be a trick somewhere. I have always been a windows guy, and recently I decided to try a lightweight linux flavor for my old machine, so I am now trying to investigate the usual things on my vectorlinux machine.

I will carry on looking around the forum, maybe someone has a tip somewhere
~sam~
peaceful_salman

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 11:47:22 am »

By the way "BigTimer", have you ever figured out how to do this? i mean share your printer with other windows and linux machines on your network? do share please.

~sam~
peaceful_salman

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 01:55:56 pm »

Grin Hi there!
well, I finally found some instructions online and believe it or not I finally got my HP Deskjet 840c shared with my windows 7 machine! i mean, I really went like "WAW!!!" and "YAAAAYYYY!!!". Smiley

ok, here is how i did it:
first on the Vectorlinux, make sure you are logged in as ROOT, and then in your browser type in: http://localhost:631/admin
and remember, at times you will be asked to enter some username and password, so make sure you put in your ROOT as username and your Root's password.

now, with the above link, you will be able to add your new printer, and then make sure you check the box next to "make my published printers shared", or the one that means that, i can't remember the exact sentence now.

Next, once all this is done, go to your Windows XP or VISTA or 7, and go to the printers and devices options, and add a network printer, here you will probably see few options besides the TCP/IP port printer, but don't choose that, instead you have to choose the option next to "Enter printer's name", so here you have to enter the following path:
http://vector-linux-ip-address:631/printers/vector-linux-printer-name
now translate the above to what reflects your real scenario. then you will be prompted to specify a printer type and driver and so on, follow the wizard and you are done.

one more thing, get to your new added printer properties and find the "Advanced" tab, and make sure you choose "send directly to printer".

Best wishes guys!

~sam~

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 04:25:37 pm »

Thanks for telling us how you did it. I copied the directions to my Tuxcards file with computer tips.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: