VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: ISO install from hard drive  (Read 2582 times)

johnnycanuck

ISO install from hard drive
« on: July 27, 2008, 05:41:56 pm »

I'm trying to install VL 5.9 on my Dell laptop using the ISO on a small FAT32 partition.  I can get the install to start by using
loadlin sata root=/dev/ram rw initrd=initrd.img
The problem is when it gets to the part where it tries to find the install media it can't find the ISO.  I get this message:
ERROR, ERROR .  I could not find the install media in the hardisk or the cdrom as well. please check that you have
-vector linux cd rom in a cd drive
-a hard disk partition with vector linux iso file
- a hard disk partition with /vector/linux directory
I've looked through the forums and found some topics about this but no answer yet.

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=6215.0
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=5135.0
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=6232.0
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=5190.0

It seems that you must use an earlier ISO.  Well, I want to use the 5.9 ISO.  Any suggestions?

overthere

• Vectorian
Re: ISO install from hard drive
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 06:27:38 pm »

The spec of the unit and the desire may help others to assist...one assumes low ram and no cdrom and a win install you wish to keep..is this your primary unit..curious...I think one can remove the drive and install on another unit then return...but that is not helping
cheers
Everything Is Relative

johnnycanuck

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 06:38:27 pm »

This is not my main machine.  Its a PIII 450 with 512mb and a 30GB hard drive.  I just like to have all my machines with good OSes on them.  The CDROM drive is not reliable.  I have tried many times with many different burned CDs and it either will not boot the CD or will be unable to copy files later on during the install.  I've got about 10 different CDs of vector 5.9 lying around now and I don't want to waste anymore blanks.

johnnycanuck

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 09:10:59 am »

Nothing I did would make VL5.9 install from the ISO.  I don't think its possible.  I did finally get it installed by letting the laptop cool down, cleaning the CD lens with a q-tip and alcohol, disabling power management in the BIOS, burning a CD at 2x, and praying.  Frankly, I don't think I'll be able to do it again. 

wcs

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 11:16:06 am »

I did finally get it installed by letting the laptop cool down, cleaning the CD lens with a q-tip and alcohol, disabling power management in the BIOS, burning a CD at 2x, and praying.

LOL, that's very persistent...  :) Good that it worked.

hata_ph

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • -- Just being myself --
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 11:20:19 am »

try this......it do work but then it require a hell of lot of work to install it.... :(

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=4557.0

The Headacher

• Louder than you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
  • I like the bass to go BOOM!
    • Multimedia on VL (work in progress)
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 01:34:38 pm »

I'd just like to point out that installing from .iso is perfectly possible, at least from a Linux host. Not quite sure how you tried, but that doesn't really matter anymore, as you got it installed and working now.
Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.

kidd

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 03:48:16 pm »

it's been more than a year since I burnt last VL CD... always doing hosted
installs from other linuxes, and never got a single problem

nooby

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 07:26:06 am »

If you don\t need a full install then you can do a frugal install that works like a live cd.
I haven\t found out how to save changes yet but that must be possible one only have
to do it right.

You extract from the iso the two folders book and vector and place them in the partition
where you want them and then in menu.lst you point to them and they boot up just like
if it was a live cd. But you have to use the live cd iso. I\m not sure if the soho is a live?

I used the lv5.9 Std live iso.

in menu you write

title Vector
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=5000 root=/dev/ram0 rw splash=silent vga=791 max_loop=255 init=linuxrc load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 changes=/dev/hda1
        initrd /boot/initrd

You changed root hd0.x to the number that partition have in linux style.

wouldnt that be a compromize while you continue to search for how to do a full install from iso.
you only need a prog that open the iso. both windows and linux has such progs.
EeePC 900 1GB 16GB Vector 7.0 STDGold frugal install.
SnowPuppy 5.0 (Lucid Puppy 513 based)