VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 05:28:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: My VL story  (Read 4090 times)
Sivatheja
Vectorite

« on: August 03, 2008, 06:51:52 pm »

Hi all,

It was in Feb 2008 I think that I've installed VL and started using it. It has been rocket fast and occupies only 112 MB of RAM on initial boot (just yesterday I've checked this with Ubuntu, it takes 223MB on the initial boot!)

I was trying to put up an open solution at home, and am now satisfactoryli done with it. People are impressed with VL, luckyli, Linux has also improved and people could get on with mouse, instead of typing ugly commands at the command prompt Cheesy

With the inspiration of M0E-lnx I've also tried to check feasibility of Linux at my work place. I agree that scope for Linux at my workplace is not 100%, but let me give a try! I spoke to our network support in office, and they were readyli in agreement with this because that would help them professionally also Smiley

I've been asked to give a demo by our PMO (Process/ project management office) on this Open solution, and at the same time my family gave me Laptop to work on Cheesy

I'm waiting for the day where I'll show the thing on my laptop using VectorLinux

Thankyou VL Team and all Grin,
Sivatheja

Full Linux Machine - Vector Linux 5.9 STD Gold, Intel - 1.79 GHz, 1Gb RAM, 60GB HDD
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 07:35:18 pm »

With VL, I haven't had to upgrade my computer for years

It rules

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 06:31:28 am »

That's pretty kool.
I run VL Light @ work on a PII 600 or so MHZ with 256mb of ram on a 20gb hdd

A co-worder runs win2k on a similar box. Her's takes about 5 mins to boot, mine boots in about 30 secs Wink

I hope you get as lucky as I did and are allowed to work using linux.
I thill think the linux environment in general (not a specific distro) needs to focus a lot more in business solutions. There is hardly any business software at all for linux and I think that's a shame. I wish I was able to turn this whole thing into a linux-based network rather than that piece of crap XP SP2 that they have to reboot twice daily because it keeps freezing up.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 06:55:41 am »

The lack of some kind of software will be solved with the time. I have been working here and there in a migration for the factory where I work. The office thing is more or less covered, we don't do fancy stuff there and I think I can migrate the macros and other stuff. The cad drawing software is being the more difficult thing. Even where there are some solutions, they are not even close to Autocad. Also, Autocad requires some study and training so is not that easy to tell some people to use another thing. I found a .dwg viewer for Linux, I will have to try it. MS Project seems to be a bit of a challenge also, we'll see.

M0E-lnx: Is weird they are using XP in an area where Linux is supposed to be stronger.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 07:07:34 am »

yeah.. they have this weird setup where they have a XP 2003 SP2 running terminal services and other clients (normally thinclient PC's) connecto to that. It kind of works like VNC
Well that's not going that well at all.
Installing software to that thing is a nightmare. The printer services only cooperate when they feel like it.

I do agree w/ you. Autocad is probabbly one of the most difficult holes to fill in linux.
We do use a very complex accounting program here (which is very much buggy in itself I might add) that requires window's fox pro thingies.
I bet within a few of months I could write a gambas program that works exactly the same with a mysql backend Wink ... I hope to some day get some time to write a good program like that... something that's actually useful.

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 07:30:00 am »

I hope to some day get some time to write a good program like that... something that's actually useful.

Hey, what's with the self-deprecation?  Wink
VasmCC and vpackager are amongst the most useful utilities for us users!
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 07:56:22 am »

VasmCC and vpackager are amongst the most useful utilities for us users!

I mean like in the real world... like something useful to a lot more people.

But thank you for the kind words though Wink  Grin

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 11:46:30 am »

Caution: if you want to do anything good, prepare to have your efforts dashed against a wall.

It's a very real possibility.

Sivatheja
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 06:19:27 pm »

I've done many things in office against the stream Smiley

Full Linux Machine - Vector Linux 5.9 STD Gold, Intel - 1.79 GHz, 1Gb RAM, 60GB HDD
Sivatheja
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 11:47:35 am »

Just got done with the Vector thing on my Laptop

FYI: http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=7013.msg47902

Now I'll have to put somethings to work, and then get ready with my things for the actual thing.

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 03:03:32 pm »

I've done many things in office against the stream Smiley

Well that's at a small scale

What I intended to say is that, if you try to do something good at a larger scale, it will probably come to naught

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 04:29:47 pm »

I hope to some day get some time...

a little out of context perhaps but....you will likely never GET time unless you MAKE it..thus it is not a real priority...at least that is my experience.

if you try to do something good at a larger scale, it will probably come to naught

truer from one perspective I can imagine...there are convieniently many perspectives for any given situation, also truer....thus the expression...what ever gets you up the ladder. Naught can be very educational and has proved many an epiphany

sorry.. could not resist  Smiley
cheers

Everything Is Relative
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 05:39:00 pm »

lol  Grin
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 05:45:15 pm »

a little out of context perhaps but....you will likely never GET time unless you MAKE it..thus it is not a real priority...at least that is my experience.

Truer words have never been spoken.

This is why I have retired ZAngband, Battle for Wesnoth and posting on any forums besides VL.

In lieu of anything worthless to do, I actually have to find good use for my time...

truer from one perspective I can imagine...there are convieniently many perspectives for any given situation, also truer....thus the expression...what ever gets you up the ladder. Naught can be very educational and has proved many an epiphany

Well yeah

Like I figured out that trying to get a bunch of animals to behave civilly is a waste of time

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 06:49:34 pm »

ya.. I here ya..a young bear walked by the other day in the woods while I was stopped to have a drink..he may have continued by but I turned and noticed him and screamed like a girl and said git, go on..then he stopped to sniff and then stood up on two for a better look..he was bigger than me... I may have p'd myself had I had the drink...I went about my buisness and moved away slow and so did he..next time I'm not gonna draw attention and waste time talkin. Wink

Everything Is Relative
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: