VectorLinux
September 18, 2014, 03:23:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to start Firestarter without root privileges? [SOLVED]  (Read 5561 times)
Pai Mei

Shaolin Vector User

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 05:32:10 pm »

Great hint WCS, using:

Exec=vsuper firestarter

to ask me for root password and remove the root privileges of firestarter from sudoers.

I tried to add the line to the bottom of /etc/rc.d/rc.local like you said:

/usr/local/etc/firestarter/firestarter.sh start (my system path to firestarter.sh)

saved, reboot, but didn't work. Any hint?

But using Exec=vsuper firestarter in firestarter.sh is a great victory. Thanks WCS.
I will try to study the rc.local structure more to learn what is missing for me.

It's the wood that should fear your hand, not the other way around. No wonder you can't do it, you acquiesce to defeat before you even begin.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 12:35:09 pm »

Are you sure?
Because running the script only means that the firewall is on.
You shouldn't see anything. Firestarter will not start, but your firestarter rules are operating.

To check, run status for that script:
Code:
/usr/local/etc/firestarter/firestarter.sh status
It will tell you whether the firestarter firewall is on or not.

Also, type (as root):
Code:
iptables -L
That should give lots of firewall rules.

If it's NOT working, the iptables command will only show you this (with no specific rules for input and output):
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination         

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Then, when you need to monitor the firewall events or to make changes to your policy that's when you run firestarter from the icon (and put in your root password).
You close it again, but the rules are operating in the background and after you reboot they're always there, protecting your machine.

(another possibility is that you need to write "sh /usr/local/firestarter/firestarter.sh start"... check the command in a terminal and see if you need to write sh before or not).

Pai Mei

Shaolin Vector User

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 04:21:57 pm »

You are right, WCS. Firestarter is running in background. When I tipped (as root):

/usr/local/etc/firestarter/firestarter.sh status

the answer is:

Firestarter is running...

so  my computer is firewalled. The only thing is that the icon doesn't appear in tray bar, but knowing that firestarter is only a GUI to configure the IPTABLES, the absence of the icon at tray is a minor thing.

Thanks WCS for the help.

It's the wood that should fear your hand, not the other way around. No wonder you can't do it, you acquiesce to defeat before you even begin.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: