VectorLinux
August 29, 2014, 12:02:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: All's not well in 5.9SOHO (on my machine, at least..)  (Read 11559 times)
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« on: August 06, 2008, 07:03:52 am »

First off:
Machine-specs:
  • AMD Athlon, 1667Mhz
  • Asus mainboard
  • Asus Geforce 6200<something>,256MB
  • 2Gig DDR2 RAM
  • Realtek8913(I think...) Nic
  • WD Caviar 200Gig(plus a little)
  • Quantum Bigfoot 4 Gig
  • AOpen DVD-re-writer
  • LG "LightSribe"DVD-RW
  • Soundblaster Live! (value)
  • Sweex Multicard-reader
  • IIyama E2202WS TFT (22"widescreen)

Partitioning of the main harddrive:
  • hda  1: 5 Gig; VL5.9 std Gold
  • hda  5: 5 Gig; unused(yet)
  • hda  6: 100Gig; storage of assorted files(Safekeeping-partition)
  • hda  7: 10Gig; Install of 5.9SOHO-Gold, root-partition
  • hda  8: 20Gig; Install of 5.9SOHO-Gold, /opt
  • hda  9: 50Gig; Install of 5.9SOHO-Gold, /home
  • hda10: 13Gig; Install of 5.9SOHO-Gold, /usr

Tested both the disc, send by snailmail AND the one I DL-ed later, since the first was a "bad burn"(can happen...)
The DL-ed disc: I burned it at 8-speed(to stay on the safe side),checked the MD5Sum and have the installation check the files.
The install went (mostly) smooth, but...(see lists below)

OK, first off: the installation
  • Console-VASM after initial install) is b0rked.(as is confirmed by others, so it's not my system))
    This is UNACCEPTABLE in a GOLD-release!
  • I need HAL to be able to mount my optical drives, whereas VL-Hot won't let me. Why is that option there at all, if it doesn't work?
    And why is it listed as the first choice to start with?
  • User-accounts can be generated during install, but later on the dreaded
Code:
User 'nels' contains illegal characters (CAPITAL)
    prevents any form of creating new accounts. Has to do with some UTF-Lang-thingy... BIG BOO![/li]
  • During install, after choosing the X-keyboard-layout it goes wrong when the installer asks for the console-keyboard; "Default" will not be accepted and you have to pick one from the presented list, before you can continue. messy....
  • No choice offered regarding wether or not to install wireless-programs; They're included.period and I had to remove them via GSLAPT afterwards. Whereas MOST SOHO-systems are DESKTOPS and have no use for this stuff; They're on wired networks.(exeptions are EXTREMELY rare).
    Laptops are still NOT the standard!
  • Same goes for that Synaptics touchpad driver and PCMCIA-stuff: that's laptop-specific.

After install:
  • In GSLAPT: Remarkable how many of the offered packages have NO DESCRIPTION at all... Right... Like EVERYONE knows what those (often quite cryptic) names represent.
    Well... in most cases, I don't have the faintest notion, what these packages do.
  • Same for: "package created with checkinstal 1.x.x"...
  • Ditto: "XXXX is part of x.org"(or something along those lines...)
  • Installed fonts; In GSLAPT I encountered a lot of fontpackages, NOT installed, so I installed them.(I like fonts. And so will anyone, dealing professionally with the world....) Any particular reasons, why they were not installed by default?

So; I logged in as root, edited the xorg.conf to adjust my keyboard-layout, so I could use these nifty things like "€, ß, µ," etc, went into X,fired up GSLAPT and removed the laptop-specific packages and installed the remaining font-packages and XFCE, found I couldn't create new user-accounts(see lists) and rebooted....
...to find the X-server went belly-up...
Code:
Could not open default font 'fixed'
giving up
Thus:
Code:
mcedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
But not referrence in there to any "default font", let alone one called 'fixed'...
How do I fix this?
And more importantly: What the hell caused it?
Was it the extra fonts, I installed?
If so: Why are these packages there at all?

As it is now, that install is pretty useless

My overall impression of this release is (as you may be able to understand, I hope...) less than stellar...
This should never have made it into the release-stadium.

Ladies and gentlemen developers: You have some work to do.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 10:03:38 am by SuSE-Refugee » Logged

<Lame sig>
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 02:12:50 pm »

OK... the font issue is weird.  I've added a ton of fonts to my system as well and it all works.  I suspect the problem was caused by one or more of the X.org font packages that weren't installed by default.  (They were all installed by default in Standard.)  Do you know which ones you installed after the fact?  Can you provide a list?  By comparing your installed list to mine we may be able to narrow this down.  It could be just one rather broken package.

Now... on to how to fix X.  The error you received comes about when one of two things happens:

1.  xfs (the X font server) isn't running
2.  the default font path points to something that isn't there

I expect your problem is the latter one.  What I *think* happened is that you installed a piece of X.org (a font package) but not all the missing X.org font packages.  (You didn't really need Ethiopic script, did you?  Grin)  Anyway, that offending package rewrote your default font path and included something that isn't present on your system.  Assumung that xfs is running and I'm right about the cause there are three ways to fix this:

1.  Install the missing bits that X.org now expects
2.  Alter the default font path to match reality on your system
3.  Rip out X and reinstall what comes with SOHO and then very carefully add fonts one package at a time.

I recommend #2 as the easiest approach.  The defailt font path is defined in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf with additional fonts defined in
/etc/fonts/conf.d  By default Vector Linux uses an unusually short font path (just TTF and OTF fonts) while most distros use a rather long one.  VL makes up for this by defining anything additional in /etc/fonts/conf.d/51-local.conf.  Nothing wrong with this approach, BTW, as it allows VL to exclude fonts that most people won't use, like the aforementioned Ethiopic glyphs.

So... if you look at /etc/fonts/fonts.conf you should see something that looks like this:

Code:
<!-- Font directory list -->

<dir>/usr/share/fonts/OTF</dir>
<dir>/usr/share/fonts/TTF</dir>
<dir>~/.fonts</dir>

<!--    Commented out font directories:
These are not indexed by default, as fontconfig then seems
        to prefer bitmapped fonts in some cases...

-->

I'd bet your list goes way beyond /usr/share/fonts/TTF and defines a whole bunch more including some you just don't have.  This happened when fontconfig regenerated the file above when the evil, borked font package was installed rather than simply rebuilding the font cache.  Edit the appropriate section of /etc/fonts.conf to look like what I quoted above and you should be able to start X. 

After you get X going again some of your recently installed fonts may be "missing".  They're still installed but no longer enabled.  That will happen if the offending package overwrote your /etc/fonts/conf.d/51-local.conf file.  If that is the case reinstall a package called fontfix from the repository and make sure it replaces all the files.

Code:
slapt-get --reinstall fontfix

That will reenable everything. 

I'm not one of the devs but I have built some optional (non-X.org) font packages for Vector Linux as well as fontfix.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 03:21:34 pm by caitlyn » Logged

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 02:54:04 pm »

* User-accounts can be generated during install, but later on the dreaded

Code:
User 'nels' contains illegal characters (CAPITAL)
    prevents any form of creating new accounts. Has to do with some UTF-Lang-thingy... BIG BOO![/li]
[/quote]

Was this before or after the installation of the second disc? Or did you not install it in the above results?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 02:57:36 pm by Dweeberkitty » Logged

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 07:35:46 pm »

I never got to installing Disc2 in this case.
First I wanted to make sure, the original install was ok.
But appearantly, I screwed up with the fonts...
Never new, such a simple thing as installing a font could wreak so much havoc....

<Lame sig>
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 07:56:09 pm »

The issue with the fonts came about because of two things:  First, the VL devs decided not to include a complete X.org to reduce the size of the SOHO iso.  They left out rather obscure bits to make room for more apps.  It's a sensible decision.  However, SOHO shares a repository with Standard and Standard did have a complete X.org.  Since the packages repository includes everything on the iso it included the bits not included in SOHO.  What wasn't tested and cause the breakage was adding those bits back in as you did.  It probably didn't occur to anyone that the custom font configuration for SOHO would be overwritten.

Again, just get your font path issue straightened out as I detailed above and I'm reasonably sure X will work properly again and all your new fonts will be available.  If not I'm also reasonably sure I can help you figure out what else could cause this.  WHat you describe isn't that hard to fix but it is certainly annoying.

On another issue...

I disagree with you about leaving out WiFi on SOHO.  Here in the States WiFi is commonly used on desktop systems as well as laptops.  It's cheaper to have a home or small office wireless network (properly secured, of course) than to have to run network cables through walls and over ceilings if they aren't already in place.  Family and small office wireless networks are common.  In some places WiMax successfully competes with DSL and cable for high speed internet service.  In some smaller towns WiMax is the only choice other than satellite.  WiFi doesn't always mean laptop and I do believe it belongs in SOHO.

Also here in the States a number of companies I've worked for don't use desktops at all.  They use laptops exclusively since it allows workers to do work off hours from home.  Some employers are giving employees one or two work from home days a week to save energy and help the environment.  Those companies pretty much have to use laptops exclusively.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 07:53:23 am »

Cait, I disagree with you on the desktop wifi issue.  Of all the the desktop systems I (or people I know) have, none have wireless connections.  Off the top of my head it's in excess of 20 actual desktop boxes.  On the flip side, many of these same people have laptops as well and all are wireless.  I think to say "commonly used on desktop systems" is stretching it a bit.  Not surprisingly, all of the people I know have wireless routers whether they are used or not is another question.  Where I live Of the people I know wireless routers and laptops are common, but not wireless desktop systems.

edit: Damn, sounds like I'm speaking for my entire city - I don't mean to. I only mean of the people close to me it's not common for their desktop systems to be connected wirelessly.  Granted there are millions more folks around me for which I don't know their situation :shrug:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 10:37:11 am by newtor » Logged
gacurt

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 09:01:40 am »

We have five computers in our house. One laptop- wireless, one desktop in middle floor- cable to wireless router, one desktop in middle floor for grandson-wireless when needed, two in basement- one primary one to test- wireless.
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 09:04:16 am »

On another issue...

I disagree with you about leaving out WiFi on SOHO.  Here in the States WiFi is commonly used on desktop systems as well as laptops.  It's cheaper to have a home or small office wireless network (properly secured, of course) than to have to run network cables through walls and over ceilings if they aren't already in place.  Family and small office wireless networks are common.  In some places WiMax successfully competes with DSL and cable for high speed internet service.  In some smaller towns WiMax is the only choice other than satellite.  WiFi doesn't always mean laptop and I do believe it belongs in SOHO.

Also here in the States a number of companies I've worked for don't use desktops at all.  They use laptops exclusively since it allows workers to do work off hours from home.  Some employers are giving employees one or two work from home days a week to save energy and help the environment.  Those companies pretty much have to use laptops exclusively.
You misunderstood me; I didn't mean to leave WiFi out alltogether; I meant to offer it during install as a seprate package and not installing it by default.(ie.-lumping it in with the bulk of the basic packages, like it is now.)
How logical does this sound:
"You have the option to leave out a BASIC office-application(OOffice), which is pretty much crux of a SOHO-distro, but you have no choice to leave out stuff, you're only for some 20% likely to need(WiFi)?..."

Oh, And the USA isn't the only market and things are handled quite differently elswhere; Here in Europe, networks are more and more gearing towards thin-client desktops. Laptops are for mobile work.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 09:08:34 am by SuSE-Refugee » Logged

<Lame sig>
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 10:54:55 pm »

So... if you look at /etc/fonts/fonts.conf you should see something that looks like this:

Code:
<!-- Font directory list -->

<dir>/usr/share/fonts/OTF</dir>
<dir>/usr/share/fonts/TTF</dir>
<dir>~/.fonts</dir>

<!--    Commented out font directories:
These are not indexed by default, as fontconfig then seems
        to prefer bitmapped fonts in some cases...

-->

I'd bet your list goes way beyond /usr/share/fonts/TTF and defines a whole bunch more including some you just don't have.  This happened when fontconfig regenerated the file above when the evil, borked font package was installed rather than simply rebuilding the font cache.  Edit the appropriate section of /etc/fonts.conf to look like what I quoted above and you should be able to start X. 
Uhm...
No.
Mine looks EXACTLY as what you posted there.
But I followed through nonetheless.

After you get X going again some of your recently installed fonts may be "missing".  They're still installed but no longer enabled.  That will happen if the offending package overwrote your /etc/fonts/conf.d/51-local.conf file.  If that is the case reinstall a package called fontfix from the repository and make sure it replaces all the files.

Code:
slapt-get --reinstall fontfix

That will reenable everything. 
That is: IF I manage to find fontfix...
Code:
slapt-get --install --reinstall
Told me there was no such package , called "fontfix" available.
I guess, I need to find the full name of the package.

Now, while digging in that system a little further, I noticed that "/etc/fonts/conf.avail" and "/etc/fonts/conf.d" do not match entirely; conf.d doesn not contain links to all that's in conf.avail. In fact, it's missing links the first eight or ten items or such.
Could that have anything to do with it? 

<Lame sig>
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 06:03:45 am »

running the commands below as root will fix your fonts
Code:
cd / && sh /var/log/scripts/x11-fonts*
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 08:32:11 am »

Thanks, uelsk8s.  That's a much easier solution I wasn't aware of Smiley

fontfix, despite being included in both SOHO and Light, is still in the testing repository but it is there.  Why is something that is part of two isos in testing?  I don't understand that myself.

SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 09:01:11 am »

Code:
Worked like a charm!
Now I can test that MMBD-installation.

<Lame sig>
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 01:56:14 pm »

Code:
Worked like a charm!
Now I can test that MMBD-installation.

Cool, but first, can you add a user using vasm?

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 02:22:31 am »

Cool, but first, can you add a user using vasm?

Nope.
Same *&*% again...
I can by the command-line though, so it's definately a bug in VASM.

<Lame sig>
sullysat

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 04:00:14 pm »

Well folks, I have enjoyed using a variety of Vector distributions on several low to modern computers and decided to show my support by purchasing the Deluxe gold CDs... and I find myself in the same boat as the initiator of this thread.

I haven't had any issues with fonts yet, but I do share two other issues that I'd like to get some help with.

1.  Wireless connects and sets up just fine, but it won't SAVE.  I have to reset it every time I reboot the computer.

2.  USB drives are seen and mounted by VL-Hot just fine, but I can't get the CD mounted.  It comes up with an error telling me HAL must do it.

How do I get HAL to do this?  Will it screw up what's already working?

I can't use the 2nd disc I purchased either and I agree that these sort of issues are totally not cool in a GOLD/purchased release.

My system is a Dell Inspiron 1100

2.2 GHz Celeron
1.0GB RAM
30GB HD w/ Vector running on a 10GB partition

I chose VL-hot because its worked great on every other version of Vector and system I've loaded it on.

I'm trying to choose a distro to replace WinXP in my office.  This is not a good omen.

Help Please.

Thanks,
SullySAT
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: