VectorLinux
August 31, 2014, 12:11:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy birthday VL  (Read 4672 times)
metvas
Vectorite

« on: August 07, 2008, 07:26:14 am »

Happy Birthday Vector Linux
I can recall talking about this in March and here we are. Vector Linux is 10 years old one full decade of excellence in computing technology.
Vector Linux as you all may be aware of was born in Robert’s (vec) living room a decade ago. Robert myself, Leah my partner, Cara-Leah Roberts partner all contributed to the birth of Vector. I can vividly recall our first order for VL. I never did cash the cheque but have it here to this day. Looking back seems like a blur in time. Come and gone are countless trials and tribulations, some sleepless nights and equal moments of glory. Well y'all as my friends in Texas would say, outstanding job. Mission accomplished several times over. Vector Linux so far beyond our original expectations, I to this day am constantly astounded at our progress, we have even the most well funded competition biting at our heels trying to emulate what we are doing. We can beat them all on a shoestring budget !! Go figure.
With our affiliation with SQI in full forward throttle, we are now on a secure server that requires a mouse click to fix should anything go wrong. We have our own high-speed download server and the forum is more efficient then it has ever been. SQI has devoted many hours of their expertise to Vector, with a promise to devote more in development and marketing. All at their cost what a positive move forward. Corporate sponsorship with no strings attached. Thanks Jeff, Cheri and Steve. The VL team thanks them for their huge contribution. We have several projects on the go and find it necessary to prioritize our many, many options for advancement.
With that I am going to have a beer to celebrate and Thank the powers to be for our good fortune and product. We easily can make the claim that the world is a better place because we are here. By now millions of users will back that claim up. We would welcome letters of support or experiences you have had with Vector Linux.
Thanks to all of you. Notably would be Bigpaws for his knowledge with servers and to Rodrigo for his expertise in IT and his time to get the Plone site up. He did the vast majority of the work. Thanks Rodrigo. John B for his packaging techniques. Masta, Uel,exeterdad, caitlyn,Chris, MOE-Inx, SuSE-Refugee, LLL and all of you if we missed your name we sincerely apologize for that and rest assured you are all there in our vision of the past , present and future. I used to think that the phrase,” the future is so bright I have to wear sunglasses to look at it”, was so lame and corny. Now I am looking to buy sunglasses. Thanks to all the VL Team, without all the input from names come and gone over the last decade we would not be celebrating our first decade of excellence nor be known as the fastest distro on the planet. Think that one through, fastest on the planet, so were do we go from here? Maybe wait for the rest to catch up? Be merciful VL'rs
Lets be the best we can be for year 11. Anyone who wants to contribute  a name for v6.0 lets base it on 11. Not 11 as in eleven, but 11 as in 00 11 00.
Lonely at the top isn't it !! Glasses on everyone, here comes 6.0110011.......
Take Care All
Very Gratefully Yours
vec7 + metvas
aka
Robert and Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 08:39:00 am »

I would like to join in the congratulations  Grin  The VL community certainly is a good place to be.

As soon as I get off from work, I will join in the celebrations as well!
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 09:10:30 am »

Just last night I was wondering about how old VL was and when there would be a birthday.  Smiley Funny.
So, here's the answer...

Happy birthday, VL!!
Thank you, vec and metvas.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 09:28:00 am »

I would like to show my appreciation to whom that create such a good system......

Happy Birthday...... Smiley
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 09:28:40 am »

I haven't been around that long, but I have certainly seen a lot of progress. I'm sure that VL6 will be a staunding release. The way I see it, we can only move in one direction.... forward that is.. that's the way VL moves, and that's the way we want to keep it moving.

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 02:37:39 pm »

Happy Birthday!

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 03:19:37 pm »

I'm going to have a ...

/looks around

Never mind

Happy b-day VL

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 03:26:18 pm »

Happy Birthday VL  Smiley

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 04:59:02 pm »

cheers Smiley

Everything Is Relative
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 08:36:34 pm »

base it on 11

Well, the slogan for Vector Linux 6 could be:

"Vector Linux. . . it goes to eleven!"

Where was i in '98? Oh, yeah, i was graduating from high school. It was exhilarating. And i had never heard of Linux. I became quite good at reinstalling Windows, though.

So, where is the party?

“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 12:21:00 am »

Pen Blwydd Hapus, Happy Birthday Vector.... an excellent distro and an excellent OS!  Here is to the next 10 years!
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 05:07:52 am »

I retroactively toast my martini in Vector Linux's name.

Good show all.

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 08:02:23 am »

*Raises coffee cup to the founders*
You done good! May you live long and prosper.
Happy Birthday VectorLinux!
I made ya a cake
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 11:11:35 am »

Is that for real?

What flavor is it inside?

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Tommy599