VectorLinux
November 27, 2014, 07:54:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems whit wireless  (Read 7343 times)
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 08:37:24 am »

VL Light has the 2.6.22.19 kernel so the driver may not be there.  It depends on whether or not the developers added it.  I don't know if the did or didn't.

First, as ecs says, try the modprobe command.  That would mean the drivers are already installed but just not loaded at boot.  If that works you will need to make a one line change to a file to make it work on boot from now on.  Let us know if that works before you try compiling.

If not, the yes, follow the links and instructions you've already been given.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
umfufu

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2008, 01:13:26 am »

VL Light has the 2.6.22.19 kernel so the driver may not be there.  It depends on whether or not the developers added it.  I don't know if the did or didn't.

First, as ecs says, try the modprobe command.  That would mean the drivers are already installed but just not loaded at boot.  If that works you will need to make a one line change to a file to make it work on boot from now on.  Let us know if that works before you try compiling.

If not, the yes, follow the links and instructions you've already been given.

i've done this but nothing is there to post here, only this: module rt2500 not found.

The problem is i am a noob, don't know anything to compile or whatever .
i don't know how to and where to get the files or something you are speaking about in the previous posts and if i could, how to put them on my laptop or make this work
the only thing a i can see that only one led is burning on the card and thats it.
I think i should find an other distro for my old laptop to run, one where i do not have to do all off this, all you write here is chinese to me, pitty because i like this distro a lot it's the only one working out of the box except the internet access.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 01:27:38 am by umfufu » Logged
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 03:56:31 am »

Ok. We do it step by step....

1. Download the drivers from http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Downloads
2. Unpack the folder. Inside you there will be a module folder.
3. Open a terminal as root inside the module folder. Run make and if there is no error prompt out then run make install.
4. If all go well then run modprobe rt2500. Then run lsmod | grep rt. If there is output that mean the module/driver is loaded in your system.
5. Run ifconfig and iwconfig, there should have something like ethx show up.
6. Run VLwifi to test your card.

Read this link for reference...http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Slackware_Howto
umfufu

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 05:09:20 am »

1. Download the drivers from http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Downloads
2. Unpack the folder. Inside you there will be a module folder.
3. Open a terminal as root inside the module folder. Run make and if there is no error prompt out then run make install.

Ok i done wat you told me but when i go into this folder as you type, after make i get an message
make : *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop and get back command promt.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 06:18:40 am »

What version of the drivers you download? I download the CVS version.
Then I unpack it, open a terminal as root and to the module folder.....
then type make, just like below picture......

BTW, do you have the kernel source install...I think you need that to compile it.....I think you can get it from the VL59-Light CD.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 06:21:07 am by hata_ph » Logged
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2008, 07:43:20 am »

hata_ph,

You can also just send him the rt2500.ko module you compiled there.

Uelsk8s
umfufu

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 12:05:01 pm »

BTW, do you have the kernel source install...I think you need that to compile it.....I think you can get it from the VL59-Light CD.

Sorry for my stupidness but can you tell me what you mean with that and howto do this?
BTW i downloaded the latest cvs version rt2500-cvs-daily.tar.gz
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 12:28:40 pm by umfufu » Logged
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2008, 04:08:14 pm »

When you installed vl-light you should have had the option of installing the kernel sources.
If you already did so, they should be in /usr/src/linux-2.6.xx.xx (with the version number in the folder name).

If you don't have them, you need to fetch a package called kernel-sources or something like that from the VL cd and install it by running as root:
Code:
installpkg (and name of package file here)

Modules are like drivers and they are "integrated" in the kernel. So to install a module (such as your wireless driver), it needs to be compiled by looking at the kernel sources.
You only need to install the kernel sources once, and most modules are already in you system and being used.
But this wireless one isn't there. Apparently it is a part of kernels that were released later than the one used in vl-light, but for that kernel you're using the module needs to be compiled and installed.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2008, 05:59:26 pm »

I always install the kernel source whenever I install any new Linux OS especially VL. But then if you have enough HDD space. Tongue
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2008, 06:36:45 pm »

Our 2.6.25.7 kernel has these modules included:
root:# modprobe -l rt25*     
/lib/modules/2.6.25.7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2500usb.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.25.7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2500pci.ko

Might one of those work?
umfufu

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2008, 07:30:39 am »

I finaly found it, appears that the cvs file i downloaded a few days ago had no make file in it.
Today i downloaded a new daily and it all just did like you said.
Thank you , thank you , thank you for you're patience with me i'm so very grateful.
it finally works.
You are TOP!!!!
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2008, 07:33:48 am »

Happy that you can solve your problem. Pls mark this thread as close. Tongue
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2008, 12:39:00 pm »

Cool!
Geekster

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2008, 12:39:42 am »

Hi all, I started using linux about a week ago. I tried pclos, puppy, xubuntu, and then vector. Vector seems to be the best os that I have tried out. But I cant get my rt73 usb wireless to work. I have tried all the things mentioned in this post. I dont even know if vector is mounting my usb. Before you try to help me, please remember Im a windows user until a week ago. I downloaded the cvs driver and tried to make and make install, but dont know if I did it correctly. Thanks in advance for you help.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2008, 01:14:20 am »

pls post your lspci, lspcmcia, lsmod as root while your wireless USB is plug in.....

btw, it would be nice if you can open a seperate thread for your question...thanks...

PS: Pls post your version of VL also and the wireless name... Tongue
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: