VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 03:43:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to compile gcc's Fortran 77 [SOLVED]  (Read 2835 times)
telepibe

« on: August 07, 2008, 10:15:01 pm »

Hello everyone. I'm trying to compile fortran 77 in my Pentium 133 with 64Mb Ram but can't succeed. I get an error while bootstraping.

I was wondering if anyone succesfully managed to compile f77 and perhaps give me some tips.

Anyway I'll try a few more things and if i can't do it i'll post again with the errors.

I have VL 5.9 Light installed with the optional dev package.

Thanks in advance.

Juan

PS: i must tell you that i am really new to Linux and even newbier to Vector Linux. I managed to get VL running yesterday after two weeks of trying to get it installed, because my bios can't boot cd's. Before, i was experimenting (i hope i didn't invent a new word  Tongue) with DamnSmall and g77 compile without problem.
By the way when configuring g77 i use:

Code:
/home/juan/g77/configure --prefix=/usr/local/gcc/3.4.6/ --enable-languages-f77

Hope that's ok.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 11:25:37 am by telepibe » Logged

Runnning VL 5.9 Light on Desktop P133 Mhz, 64 Mb Ram, 4 Gb harddisk.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 03:38:36 am »

Would this one do? It's gfortran, not 77, I don't know if it makes a difference for you:
http://packages.slackware.it/package.php?q=12.0/gcc-gfortran-4.1.2-i486-1

I'll submit this to the repositories. According to uelsk8s, it shouldn't even be rebuilt, as I think gcc in Vector also comes from Slackware.
(of course, you can still compile a fortran compiler for yourself if you want, and it will probably work... But I cannot help you with those options).
telepibe

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 06:25:20 am »

Hello wcs. Thank you for your response.

Would this one do? It's gfortran, not 77, I don't know if it makes a difference for you:
http://packages.slackware.it/package.php?q=12.0/gcc-gfortran-4.1.2-i486-1
It makes a difference because I really need Fortran 77 and gfortran I think it's 95. I could learn 95 though...

(of course, you can still compile a fortran compiler for yourself if you want, and it will probably work... But I cannot help you with those options).
As I said before I'll give it a few more shots and if I can't compile it myself, well, don't know...

Thanks again.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 06:38:58 am »

I would try --prefix=/usr since the includes are located there

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 07:07:36 am »

From googling around, it seems gfortran compiles 77 and 90 code as well (well, a lot of it at least).
On the other hand, g77 is no longer supported.

If you really want to compile g77, make sure you have the gcc source, as the webpage says:
To build g77, you must have a source distribution of gcc. You cannot build g77 just using binaries of gcc.

And I *suppose* that the source of gcc and the version of g77 should be the same.
telepibe

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 07:15:57 am »

I would try --prefix=/usr since the includes are located there
OK, I'll try that. Gracias.

If you really want to compile g77, make sure you have the gcc source, as the webpage says:
To build g77, you must have a source distribution of gcc. You cannot build g77 just using binaries of gcc.
And I *suppose* that the source of gcc and the version of g77 should be the same.
I'll look into that, but I think I have everything right. Thanks one more time!

telepibe

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 03:16:37 pm »

It has been compiling for 7 hours now, no errors. I did what rbistolfi suggested and I untared (¿?) the sources again just in case they'd been corrupted someway (with the first tries probably). Anyway, what troubles me is the time is taking to finish considering I only compiling one language. I think it didn't took this much the first time I successfully compiled.
Well, that's all for now. I guess there won't be any errors but I'll wait till it finishes and then put the [solved] in the title.

Thanks

telepibe

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 08:02:01 pm »

Everything went ok. The only problem I do not know how to solve is the fact that gcc no longer the newest version. I don't know how to explain well.

Code:
juan:$ gcc -v    (it's in /usr/local/bin)
something, something... version 3.4.6
which actually is the version of the fortran compiler

but

Code:
juan:$ /usr/bin/gcc -v
something, something... version 4.1.x
This is the one from the dev package, and is the one I've been using so far.

How can I do to get 4.1.x version when i call gcc Huh

Nevermind, I solved it with symlinks.

SOLVED
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 06:24:24 pm by telepibe » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: