Author Topic: Security updates  (Read 1341 times)

todds

Security updates
« on: August 09, 2008, 07:28:20 am »
Hello all,i have just come over to vector linux from gentoo/mepis/slackware triple boot system.Iam now using vector 5.9 soho deluxe only on my desktop,and have been keeping a keen eye on the vector linux wiki and editing it as necessary with new information anyway sorry :-) My Question is:-

As far as security updates,i now see they are listed on the main website which is good news,i have aslo subscribed to the email mailing list but have yet to receive anything even though the site has been updated with new packages and security information.

Also is there a reason the packages that are updated because of security issues are placed in testing first??? i understand perhaps because they are not part of the original stable distribution,in that case what repository will they eventually go into patches??? perhaps.

many thanks

Adrian

VL 6.0 RC3 on Athlon AMD Athlon™ 2650e Emachines D620

caitlyn

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • The Linux Works
Re: Security updates
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 09:41:21 am »
Hi, Adrian,

Yes, all packages go into testing first.  The process of moving from testing --> patches does happen but it happens way too slowly, IMHO.  If you are serious about keeping your system secure and you need a package you may want to enable testing to get it.  Don't do a system wide upgrade with testing enabled, though, as you'll get "upgrades" that have nothing to do with security and which may cause breakage.

The security update system is being discussed in another thread and I and others have pointed out that it really needs to be improved.
eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VL64 7.1

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1

todds

Re: Security updates
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 10:20:26 am »
thanks caitlyn that has made things a lot clearer,i currently just have packages,extra,and patches selected with gslapt. i have upgraded with that and have just installed any other relevant security packages from testing.

it would be good to sort the security issues out,as i feel it lets this excellent distribution down a litle,but iam sure it will be solved.

excellent review by the way  ::)
many thanks

adrian
VL 6.0 RC3 on Athlon AMD Athlon™ 2650e Emachines D620