VectorLinux
November 24, 2014, 06:55:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to select default sound source?  (Read 2731 times)
YeOldeFarte

« on: August 09, 2008, 01:38:39 pm »

Greetings!  After replacing the motherboard in my computer, I was treated to the anomalies of the new Intel HD Audio chip.  It has good sound, but it  tends to monopolize the system.  Now, when I want to watch Tvtime, I no longer have sound.  Before the onboard Intel sound chip simply allowed my Ensoniq card to handle it.  Volume was adjusted with the "Aux" slider.  I now have an Audigy card to replace it.  None of the volume adjustments for the Audigy card will generate sound in Tvtime.  I need a way of making the Audigy card the default sound source.  In Kalsamixer there is such a selection option.  It does nothing.  Does Kmix override it?  By the way I am using VL 5.9 SOHO.  My TV card is a Dvico Fusion 5 Lite with a Brooktree 878 chip--with excellent Linux support. I miss TV sound.  Any ideas please?
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 02:06:28 pm »

See if this helps.
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=4888.0
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 04:14:46 pm »

Try playing your TVSound as normal. Open a terminal, type "alsamixer" and play with the controls until you get sound. "m" mutes/unmutes channels and up/down arrow keys incr/decr levels. Did you try that?

You might want to go into your BIOS setup and turn OFF the onboard sound chip, then rerun VASM, ALSA to pickup the new Audigy card.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
YeOldeFarte

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 02:02:56 am »

Thanks everyone for your ideas. It has been so long since I built a computer I forget how many onboard features can be turned off. The Audigy card is in every manner superior to onboard sound, so I disabled the onboard chip in BIOS.  I have Tvtime sound once again.  Thanks all.  This is why I use Vectorlinux--great tech support. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: