VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 09:57:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0 alpha testing ground  (Read 30849 times)
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2008, 10:34:45 am »

Another thing I noticed:
In Lxde, there's an Opera-launcher in the launch-panel, suggesting this would be the default browser for the system(or this DE at least), but clicking the "Help Forum"-icon launches FireFox....
In Gnome, Opera's place has been taken by Epyphany?... What gives?!
CONSISTENCY, Gentlemen!
It's "Either/Or" , not "And/And"...

PS.- As far as I' m concerned, FireFox is ditched alltogether...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 10:48:02 am by SuSE-Refugee » Logged

<Lame sig>
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2008, 10:41:59 am »

OK,
Another MAYOR gripe: The right-click menus in either DE suck rotten lemons.
Not even a "log out"-option...

I WANT MY XFCE BACK!!!

...or rather: IceWM/ROX....

<Lame sig>
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2008, 10:54:01 am »

Once again the kernel used in 6.0 does not include the toshiba_acpi module.  That means that most Toshiba laptop users get to build their own kernel.  NOT GOOD!

VL has been compiling in the toshiba acpi, is there a reason it should be a module instead?
root:# cat boot/config-2.6.25.7 |grep TOSHIBA
CONFIG_TOSHIBA=m
CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA=y
CONFIG_YENTA_TOSHIBA=y
CONFIG_TOSHIBA_FIR=m
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2008, 11:20:37 am »

Not at all.  Most distros include Toshiba_ACPI as a module.  If it's compiled in everything should work fine.  I didn't think to check that and I haven't exactly been testing 6.0 much yet.  Thanks for the clarification.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2008, 11:22:30 am »

I'm going to disagree with SuSe_Refugee on one thing:  Firefox should stay.  It's the most popular browser out there.

Epiphany is a good addition.  Opera isn't open source so, while I like it, it should either be optional or gone.  Netsurf, which I hope to package today, would be a good lightweight browser to add.  Unlike Dillo it's still in current development and in terms of capabilities it falls somewhere between Dillo and Opera, probably closer to Dillo.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2008, 11:23:50 am »

VL has been compiling in the toshiba acpi, is there a reason it should be a module instead?
Uhhhmmm....
*MOST* systems are NOT Toshiba Laptops, maybe?.....

<Lame sig>
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2008, 11:28:22 am »

Uhhhmmm....
*MOST* systems are NOT Toshiba Laptops, maybe?.....

Yes, which is why I assumed module.  Compiled in does quate to kernel bloat.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2008, 12:26:09 pm »

I can offer IceWM/PCManFM.  Cool
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2008, 12:40:39 pm »

I'm going to disagree with SuSe_Refugee on one thing:  Firefox should stay.  It's the most popular browser out there.
"popular" !/ "Good"...
Can't tel about Epyphany; no experience with that one yet.

<Lame sig>
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2008, 12:59:51 pm »

OK,
Another MAYOR gripe: The right-click menus in either DE suck rotten lemons.
Not even a "log out"-option...

I WANT MY XFCE BACK!!!

Having problems with install too, which is I think due to gparted, sounds like this is an issue we all have..... I can see the point in testing a version based on Gnome if we are going to have a Gnome delux or Soho version, but I think it really is too much for standard.  Like others I'd like XFCE back - or even IceWM/Rox, I can't be the only one who thought that Ice on VL5 looked great!  And they really are light weight.  I know this is a moving game and VL Light really is for the older machines out there (though I suspect ones greater than 233MHz machines).    Of course if the plan is that we test a base system for compatibilities with Gnome/KDE included and then take out the bigger Desktop environments and put back in a medium weight one like XFCE - and I'd love to see Icewm brought back.

Pulse audio seems to be the way to go for sound systems, this is progress I suppose but if its a resource hog then maybe we should have second thoughts on that.
Certainly keep Firefox, its popularity seems to demand that. 
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2008, 10:17:33 pm »

I really don't have time to go into testing right now, but I did anyway. Smiley I put VL 6 on a partition on my 1.33 GHz computer described below. First problem: I couldn't get the CD to boot on this machine. However, it did boot a commercial bootable CD and the VL CD I burned booted on another computer, so I think the problem is that the CD burner on this computer is getting flakier. I'm going to replace it soon.

So, since I couldn't boot from the CD, I tried the install from a Linux hard drive instead. (I have three Linux partitions on this computer--one for 5.9 Standard Deluxe, two for testing releases in development.) The installation from hard drive went fine. However, I was never offered a graphical installer. I had the same text installer as always--which is fine with me, but I wanted to see what the GUI installer is like.

I wanted to put LILO on a floppy disk and my attempts to do this during installation failed. Not having a CD that would boot and not wishing to write to the MBR, I was concerned about how I'd boot into VL 6. I told it not to reboot and to my relief, I got a command prompt. I then formatted a floppy disk after looking up the command on some printed sheets I have. I ran VASM and tried setting up LILO again. This time it worked on the freshly formatted floppy.

I rebooted and continued with setup. I tried to set up the proprietary ATI driver, which I don't think is compatible with my Radeon 9200 card, but it put up an error message that went by too fast to read. I haven't had a chance to see what driver actually is installed. I expected the graphical desktop would fail but it didn't. I'll check xorg.conf tomorrow.

Now----
I had no opportunity to choose between Gnome and lxde and had no idea how to start lxde. Typing startx got me into Gnome. I HATE that black wallpaper, hate it, hate it! I don't like dark wallpaper anyway, and this one is the darkest of the dark. I changed it right away. I should also mention that I always use a text login, so I have no idea what a graphical login looks like, nor do I care.

I've never cared for Gnome but am happy to have the libraries available and I won't use Gnome as my desktop environment, but I did look around. One thing that bothered me was that there were bunches of icons on the desktop and all the drives on my computer were mounted--without asking me. I don't want all my drives to be automounted. I did not mount any drives in VASM, so this happened without my knowledge.

I got out of Gnome pretty quickly and tried to start lxde, which I had never seen before. There is a major typo in the home directory .xinitrc file line 27 that returns a command not found if you startx after modifying the default desktop environment in VASM.

I was not impressed with lxde. Bring back XFce!!!! I love XFce and would prefer to have it as the default. As others have said, why the change? XFce is a middle ground between a real lightweight DE and the heavyweights Gnome and KDE. Some apps (Gimp, Gnumeric, AbiWord) use some Gnome libraries, but do we have to have the whole thing--and the default, yet?

I wanted to configure the way the clock displayed in lxde but it wasn't comprehensible to a simple user like me. It used that horrible %something Unix stuff that I don't understand. Why not something a normal person can understand, like we get with XFce? I don't like not having the desktop menu from a desktop right click, as we have in XFce. I could probably live with lxde with a lot of tweaking, but I won't because I'd most certainly install XFce at my earliest opportunity.

Where is a GUI Shutdown option in the desktop environments? All I could find was logout.

I look forward to seeing how the distro develops. I know this is just alpha.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Vanger
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2008, 12:35:55 am »

More VMWare woes.
I've booted into text mode and partitoned the drive using cfdisk. Then I rebooted to graphic mode and set "Use existing partitions". System went installing fine, but froze on "writing /etc/fstab"
Installing in text mode now...

Running silent, running deep
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2008, 01:18:03 am »

Well the obvious vote is we don't like gnome. OK we kind of force feed you on that one. Believe it or not some where around 50% of the linux user base uses gnome ubuntu fedora etc zenwalk just released a gnome edition  which got one very good review that I found. I have built xfce 4.4.2 based on this alpha so it has some gnome bits in it and I found this was xfce on steriods. Please try it.......do your update in gslapt then install it you can change your session in gdm by clicking on the session button and selecting xfce.  There are some settings left over from 5.9 so may look a little weird at first but go with it............change what you need too. I believe we are missing out on a lot of functionality without a gnome capable desktop so the next idea is xfce with gnome bits and pieces. I will reserve full gnome for soho along with kde4.1 so that should be a treat. We are working on the installer so next alpha release should be quit an improvement. In the mean time play with the new xfce and let us know the gnome apps we should include. My first choices would be evolution, rythmbox and gnomebaker............let us know your choices especially if you graduated from a gnome based distro and miss some things.
keep the comments coming............

thanks
Vector
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2008, 02:20:19 am »

Thanks for the Xfce package. Generally looks good.

I've got a couple of problems with it. The Xfce terminal is unusable here (running with vesa in a virtualbox VM at present - no spare partitions for a normal install). I get a second minor window to the right of the main window, and all text has a sort of rainbow tint to it. Xterm is working ok.

Second, I've got a floppy iocn which I don't seem to be able to get rid of. Not sure if that is down to the VM or not. I'll have to investigate that one further.

There also seem to be a few icons missing in the default theme - I'm getting generic executable icons for the items on the toolbar, and I was also getting generic folder icons for several of the desktop icons.

Smiley Not bad for an alpha ....

On the subject of the installer, a way of setting the framebuffer mode before starting it would be useful, given the way it failed when defaulting to standard VGA when I tried it in a VM.

paul.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 02:23:11 am by toothandnail » Logged
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2008, 03:55:47 am »

if you have gnome bits, include firestarted as default firewall (disable vector's).Its the best on linux and you can easily set ics/ports/anything..

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: