VectorLinux
September 22, 2014, 10:00:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0 alpha testing ground  (Read 29737 times)
Vanger
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2008, 03:56:10 am »

http://s57.radikal.ru/i155/0808/78/40923bddc02d.jpg

There are too many sessions in gdm, don't you think?

Running silent, running deep
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2008, 05:44:23 am »

I believe we are missing out on a lot of functionality without a gnome capable desktop so the next idea is xfce with gnome bits and pieces.

Exactly what functionality is being missed out on? For burning K3B has
done everything ever asked of it.

IMHO changing to gnome because everyone else uses limits choice.

Bigpaws
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2008, 07:43:53 am »

Code:
On the subject of the installer, a way of setting the framebuffer mode before starting it would be useful, given the way it failed when defaulting to standard VGA when I tried it in a VM.

try "l3 vga=791"
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2008, 09:00:13 am »

In the mean time play with the new xfce and let us know the gnome apps we should include. My first choices would be evolution, rythmbox and gnomebaker............let us know your choices especially if you graduated from a gnome based distro and miss some things.

Evolution  -- yuck!  Slow, bloated, unwieldy.  OTH, it supports Exchange.  If you use it make sure you include an (optional) package for the Exchange connector.  I'd rather see Thunderbird for a mail client.

Gnomebaker -- inferior to K3B.  Stick with K3B.

Add:

grip --  much more functional and faster than ripperX.
dia (as an optional package)
xfce-xfapplet -- allows any GNOME applet to be used on an Xfce desktop.  (Very nice!)

I think the idea of offering the choice between GNOME and KDE in SOHO is a great one.   Xfce plus best of breed GNOME apps is what Wolvix does and it works out well.  Xfce for Standard (plus Fluxbox/JWM options) and LXDE for Light (plus Fluxbox/JWM) seems very reasonable to me.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2008, 09:07:14 am »

And since when is the *ahem* popularity *cough* of a piece of software an indication of quality?
Do I really have to remind you, what's STILL the most "popular" OS?....

Firefox is STILL a bloated piece of disfunctional crap that NEEDS a ton of add-ons to make it usefull.

<Lame sig>
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2008, 10:14:57 am »

And since when is the *ahem* popularity *cough* of a piece of software an indication of quality?
Never was.
Linux isn't that great either. You often have to go to great lengths to get the same functionality that you get in Windows. If you can get it at all.
Firefox is STILL a bloated piece of disfunctional crap that NEEDS a ton of add-ons to make it usefull.
Don't confuse opinions with fact. There have been browser wars in the past and there'll probably be in the future. Personally, I like Firefox and use it in both Windows and Linux. If it won't come with the next VL by default I'll slapt-get it though.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2008, 10:20:51 am »

Maybe, but that popularity drives web site design. We should be thankful that this cross-platform browser has gained sufficient popularity to influence webmasters around the world to write for something besides IE. While FF is far from perfect, I think it will be welcomed by a lot of people and provide the best all-around browsing experience for the widest audience.
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2008, 10:30:49 am »

Don't confuse opinions with fact.
I'm not the one that's confused here:
Opera- Downloaded Slackware package: 7.8MB. comes with: email-client, web authoring tool, a cartload of functionalities.
Firefox- Download: 9.2 MB, just a browser, nothing more. To come even close to Opera's set of functionality; get ready for a night of downloading "add-ons".
That's spelled: "BLOAT"

You are confusing "marketing"with "quality".

<Lame sig>
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2008, 10:34:01 am »

Maybe, but that popularity drives web site design. We should be thankful that this cross-platform browser has gained sufficient popularity to influence webmasters around the world to write for something besides IE. While FF is far from perfect, I think it will be welcomed by a lot of people and provide the best all-around browsing experience for the widest audience.

If webdesigners can't bring themselves to write their pages in PROPER html/php/whatever, they're not worth my attention.
Catering to FLAWS should be rooted out.

<Lame sig>
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2008, 11:32:33 am »

Opera also isn't Open Source and as such many in the Linux community refuse to use it.

My experience with Firefox 2.x has been good and there are add ons to make it incredibly secure (i.e.: tor, privoxy) that don't work with Opera or other non-Gecko based browsers.  Granted we're using 9.50 beta code in VL 5.9 but Opera crashes on me fairly often and Firefox doesn't.  I agree that you are confusing your opinion and preference with facts.  Vector Linux devs should try to provide what the majority of their user community wants.  Take a poll and I think you'll find Firefox probably scores better than any other browser in THIS community.

FWIW, I like that VL provides a wide choice of browsers.  I hope the next edition will include Firefox, Opera, and Netsurf (to replace Dillo which is not currently being developed).

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2008, 06:42:16 pm »

Installation went smooth. Yes that gui installer is somewhat hard to read.

As ususal with all slackies, except for VL-Life-CD, connection to the Internet having a Davicom eth card needed some prodding.
--rmmod tulip
--modprobe dmfe
--blacklist tulip
--enable dmfe in rc.modules
-- ../rc.inet1 start

CD-Player does not want to play, however, in terminal /usr/bin/cdda-player works.

There is a typo in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.lxde, it says slartlxde instead of startlxde and therefore won't start.

Otherwise all seems to function well. The vasm icon will not open unless one is in root. In terminal sudo vasm works.

Regards
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 07:20:32 pm by Pita » Logged
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2008, 08:15:04 pm »

I cannot understand the discussions about browsers, however I am glad that seamonkey is gone, never liked/used it. I am using firefox and opera interchangeable yet my main browser is dillo. If somebody misses a browser by all means install it.

Since I switched to slackware and now VL I always had gnome installed having become used to it from my Redhat days and it has great programs. Never used it as my desktop so, only the panel. My desktop is fluxbox with xfce4/gnome panel.

As for CD burners I only use xcdroast, tried others and did not like them.

Such is the beauty of Linux, --the multiple choices.
Vanger
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2008, 03:32:51 am »

Pulseaudio offers many wine problems.
Also, I wasn't able to find any audioplayer (xmms, audacious, even noatun)

Running silent, running deep
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2008, 09:47:13 am »

I never did understand reviewers who slammed Vector because it had a text based installer.  Hopefully, this will be able to keep them quite when it is polished.

Starting with "Find installation media"
       I think a new user will be confused by "Select which distribution to install from the list below" really how many           
       distributions are we expecting to find on this CD.
        Maybe it could be worded...Click "Search Again" to find installation media, if it is not found automatically.
        after the list bar. Maybe something like..."Click next once media is discovered."

There is a lot of room for coaching points on this page. Coaching the newbie on minimum disk space 
         requirements is good, unfortunately, the numbers provided may not be accurate.  I needed much more that 1800 mb for my root.

Disk Partitioning.
      I found this a little confusing. First of all, it assumes a new user would be comfortable with GParted without anything in the way of help points at all.

Secondly, All the functions available from gparted are not even necessary.
After playing with this disk partitioning section till 4 in the morning trying to get GParted to format a partition to this or that, I found out the systems going to do it for me anyway after I click next.

GParted needs only to be used to create the 3 partitions needed for the install, all of them can and should be unformatted.  All the formatting options, flags and labels is just confusing clutter.  Once the user sets up his 3 unformatted partitions he needs to be coached to click "apply" and then "next."  As it is now, I have to exit GParted by selecting Quit under the GParted drop down menu.

The next window then is almost perfect.  It sees the 3 unformatted partitions and lets you choose both mount point and filesystem. (Including Ext3 which was not in Gparted.)  The only suggestion I have here is how hard would it be to have the mount points automatically selected. The smallest being the swap, The largest being /home if three partitions of /root if only two.  Little more math to it than that but you get the idea.

After choosing Next I selected Full install and away I went. Then the surprises...
I first partitioned for a 128mb swap, 2000mb root, and 16gig, home.  The system errored out saying it ran out of space during the install.
Then I tried 128mb swap, 3000mb root and 15gig home. Again a system error, saying I ran out of space.
Finally, I tried 256 swap, 4000mb root and 14 gig home. This worked.

My last comment. Gnome with LXDE just does not make sense. If I have a computer powerful enough to get the most out of Gnome, why would I use LXDE.  The opposite, is also true, If I need lxde for a comfortable speed on an older computer, there is no way I can get good performance on that machine with gnome.

I agree with wcs, XFCE seems like the right fit for standard. Gnome Deluxe makes sense you could even charge for it.

It would be ideal for me if at the end of this testing process you come out with two releases. A traditional standard but now with an option to use a graphical installer, plus better compatibility with some prime gnome apps. And also a Gnome Deluxe version to complement the KDE Deluxe version. Which I would be happy to pay my 30 bucks for.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
abdula

« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2008, 10:11:30 am »

Hello.In Linuxes with kernel after 2.6.18 my usb modem zyxelp660 ru2 works fine.Your distib has 2.6.22 but modem does not work.I really want to use your distro?but i cannot unfortunatelly.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: