VectorLinux
October 23, 2014, 12:21:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0 alpha testing ground  (Read 30252 times)
pevsner

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2008, 04:09:56 pm »

I have found VL 5.9 standard gold to be my favorite distro, fast and simple.
I must admit I have a preference for xfce over gnome or kde.
The earlier test VL6 dynamite versions loaded ok, but the STD with new gui installer won't recognise some partitions (2nd swap drive) and install seemed to abort.
Looking forward to see how this version develops.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2008, 05:09:06 pm »

Attempted in vm gets to the point of is this ramfs (not positive of wording)
answer ... yes then install hangs.

Bigpaws
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 05:15:57 pm »

Bigpaws,
Give it some more ram.  Smiley
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2008, 07:37:26 pm »

Just a note any of you having a problem getting the new installer to complete can access the old text installer by typing linux at the initial prompt when the cd first boots then hit enter.

Also the new installer needs at least 128 megs of ram to run. We are very interested if anyone has run into hardware issues with it that prevent it from loading..........
Thanks,
Vec
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 07:46:24 pm by vector » Logged
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2008, 08:35:15 pm »

Interesting that virtualbox continues to lower the RAM.

That did the trick. Now gparted has failed three times,
I will look at in the next day or so.

IMHO cfdisk is a little more intuitive than gparted.

Bigpaws
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2008, 11:22:11 pm »

Probably not really related to this specific release, but;
Since the file-system and all was already copied to the install-partition, I tried to boot into it via my 5.9Std-LILO.
All looked fine at bfirst, but the boot halted with some error-message about not being able to initialise sda6.
Quite strange, since this system has no SCSI or SATA discs; It's all default PATA(IDE) in there.

I'll give it another try with the ncurses-installer today.

<Lame sig>
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 07:53:15 am »

Installed to a VirtualBox VM. Since I normally set the video mode, I used 'linux vga=791' from the boot prompt first time round. That worked, but (naturally), I got the standard text install. So, after reading this thread, I reinstalled, this time just hitting enter at the boot prompt.

While I'm not fussed over GUI installs, it looks quite good. Went though the early stages without problems (though it took a very long time over processing the lxde stuff for some reason). At the end of the install, it dropped to text mode. Is that how it is supposed to work, or was there a failure of some sort?

Since I hadn't been able to set the vga mode, the install seemed to be in 640x480 mode. It got as far as the X setup, then stopped. A bit of disk activity, but no further progress. Not sure why, but eventually I had to abort. In text mode vga=791 allowed the VM install to complete.

Most things seem to work, though I've not explored it too much yet. I'm not a great Gnome fan - hope Xfce comes back soon....

More later.

paul
Vanger
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2008, 08:32:11 am »

I second the ext3 woes in gparted. There is no way to make an ext3 partiton.
Some people will be disappointed by lack of reiser4 too.

First I tried to install distro in VMWare. gparted failed to partition both IDE and SCSI VMWare drives.
I am going home and will start testing on real hardware this evening.

P.S. Gnome?!?!?! WTF?!!!!

Running silent, running deep
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2008, 08:34:52 am »

Seconded....

Especially since I still have a very vivid memory of the debates about getting rid of Gnome and ALL of it's stuff entirely during the development of 4.3.
Why come back on that at all?
Gnome, save for a few handy apps, is total garbage.
(And KDE is a close second...)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 08:38:02 am by SuSE-Refugee » Logged

<Lame sig>
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2008, 08:39:18 am »

The gparted woes are solely due to gparted releated libs... I'm sure they'll get fixed as the release progresses. Bare with us people.... The new installer can't configure anything after the install just yet, which is why it will drop to text-mode for the fist boot I guess, and go from there on to the new install.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2008, 09:19:08 am »

That was my initial reaction as well. However, the entire Gnome bulk is optional, so it's really not that big of a deal.
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2008, 09:50:51 am »

That was my initial reaction as well. However, the entire Gnome bulk is optional, so it's really not that big of a deal.
I'll get back to that one as the last point in this post...

So,
I went with the ncurses-installation method(which I think should be default and the graphical being the optional one...) and managed to get through with it.
But it took bloody AGES!...

OK; point-by-point:
  • I chose to install Gnome, since it' s been some years(Redhat5.<something>...) since I tried it.
  • Even though I didn' t install it to my fastest drive(I always install "try-outs" of a "std"-version to my Quantum Bigfoot 3.7Gig) I noticed, the installer took its sweet time, copying the Gnome-files to the system.
  • An old gripe of mine persists:
Code:
WARNING!
No modem could be detected!
    Well, DUH! That' s because there IS no modem in my system. No reason to isuue a warning over.
    CUT IT OUT!!![/li]
  • Over all, the installer sure takes it sweet time.
    And not just with Gnome...
    Feels like the entire system is slower.
    A LOT!
  • After reboot there' s a nice backdrop for the console as it displays the system's boot-sequence(I didn't install LILO, but used the one from my 5.9Std.), but it doesn' t improve the readabillity...
  • Compared to the previous Std(!)-versions, the login-screen is extremely spartan. What use is a graphical Install to woe the " converts"(Since that' s what I think it's all about) if you scare them to screaming death with a login-screen like that?
    Couldn' t you just have "recycled" a previous one?
    Even 3.2 had a less spartan login...(I think, I'm showing my age here...)
  • As promised: Why the <you-know-what-I-want-to-type-here-but-that-bloody-profanity-hound-won't-let-me>do you guys assume that just because it was installed, Gnome should be the DEFAULT?!?!?!?!?
    Not a good move...

On the plus side: Sofar, stuff seems to be working; I' m typing this from the fresh install.(In $$%&$%*&@ Gnome, no less....)
Will scold you guys more later on as I find more stuff to gripe about. Wink

<Lame sig>
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2008, 10:02:47 am »

How much is that in mins or hours?

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2008, 10:12:51 am »

Once again the kernel used in 6.0 does not include the toshiba_acpi module.  That means that most Toshiba laptop users get to build their own kernel.  NOT GOOD!

I am very, very sorry to see VL without Xfce.  I like Xfce.  I don't like GNOME.  I do like what Zenwalk did:  their 5.2 version uses Xfce by default and then they have a separate GNOME edition.  Ubuntu did it the other way around but in either case Xfce was still a valid choice.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2008, 10:28:41 am »

How much is that in mins or hours?
Let me put it like this: Installing 5.9std took me some 20-25 minutes.
This beasty took me over an hour....

BUG!!!: Sound doesn't do squat!
Pulse tells me:
Code:
Connection failed! connection refused.
Both in Gnome AND in Lxde.

And WTF is "pulse" exactly?
(Save for a disk-space-eater?)
What was wrong with ALSA? Jack?
Huh?

<Lame sig>
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7