VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 09:10:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0 alpha testing ground  (Read 29408 times)
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2008, 04:55:58 am »

Experiences with install:

2)   Under custom install, maybe include a small window on the right of what that package includes, etc.  Perhaps, if possible, allow you to choose specific packages from there.  So you have a “master” install of everything gnome, then to the right you can have this game, that program, etc.  In my humble opinion this would be a nice clean way to do things.
This is in the works... already done for the individual packages... but need to do the bulk packages here.
3)   For individual packages: description window to the right.  When you click on the package name, you get a description, does not “check” or “uncheck” until you click the box though.
This is done (will show up in future ISO's I presume
4)   Prepare Host: this step doesn’t make much sense to a newb like me.  Also, wasn’t expecting to start installing right away, got used to the hundred warnings I suppose.
This is just to inform the user that a few steps are being done (like formatting partitions, mounting target and so on) dont want the user to think the installer just hung
5)   Install Operating System: The “Total Progress Bar” is slightly out of the window on my computer.  The master box ends higher than the bar sits, if that makes sense.  ----________-----  To give an example.  Numbers in the Total Progress Bar are hard to make out.
can you tell what screen resolution it was running on? maybe hard to tell by just looking at it... but it would help if I knew
6)   While waiting for it to install: perhaps change the penguins a bit.  Make them a little more in touch with the steps, if that makes sense.
Now there is something that's hard to do... this is because it would involve having a lot of little graphics and I think they're too small to see any detail anyway... but i'm open to suggestions.
7)   We need a cleaner way to configure the system.  The exit installer can be confusing.
True... but that was implemented purely for testing purposes... when finished, the installer will configure the system too Wink

Sty
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2008, 03:41:19 pm »

Ok, I must agree with the complaints about the install being slow.  My machine is no slouch, Intel Core2Duo e6600 (I think, been a while), 4 GB Ram, 10k RPM install drive, SATA DVD Burner, and the install still seemed to take time.  Gnome seemed to be the hold up.  Install took me about 40-45 minutes, virtually no difference between GUI and TUI installs.  (I installed about 3 times trying to see if I could figure out what I was doing wrong with LILO).  In comparison, 5.9 Standard Deluxe takes about 30 minutes.

For some reason I can't get LILO to work from the Alpha disc.  Finally going back to my 5.9 disc I was able to get it working.  On that note, I really don't like that greyed boot up screen.

The error I got during video config was:
make[2]: *** [/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.25.13'
make: *** [kmod_build] Error 2
build failed with return value 2
[Error] Kernel Module : Failed to compile kernel module - please consult readme.

Now that I have it going, what all should I do to be of value to y'all?

My system specs:
Motherboard: ASUS P5B Deluxe
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo e6600, 2.4GHz
RAM: Patriot 4x1GB DDR2-800
Video: (Sapphire) ATi Radeon HD 2900 Pro
Hard Drive: WD Raptor 10k RPM, 36GB
Monitor: Dell 2105FPW (20.1" Widescreen 1680x1050 Native)

Lemme know if there's any other specs / information y'all need.

* Enterprise *
Running Vector Linux 5.9 Deluxe
|| Intel Core2Duo E6600 | 4 GB DDR2 RAM | ATi Radeon X1900XT ||
Sty
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2008, 07:00:49 pm »

Ok, finally had a chance to read the rest of this thread and play with the alpha some more.
Over all things are going well for me, I have not had the problems with VASM that others have reported, works just fine for me.
I enjoy having Gnome around, other than the OS being sparse (to be expected), I haven’t had a problem with it.  At first I was a little turned off by it, but I come from a Windows background with KDE and XFCE being my primary linux desktops.  After a little while though, it’s grown on me.  I don’t want to see it gotten rid of.
Firefox.  Why all of the hate for this browser?  I actually am a big fan, being responsible for Web Development with my company among other things, I use Firefox very heavily and will be most disappointed if it leaves the Vector community.  Whereas some seem to believe that add-ons are a problem, I rather enjoy them, in fact several of them are the reason I use Firefox over other browsers.  So, let’s keep the ole boy around, eh guys?
Tuxcards, first thank you GrannyGeek, I have been looking for a program like this for a LONG time.  In fact, Onenote has been one of the big reasons I keep Windows!
Programs, off the top of my head, I would like to see incorporated:
•   Evolution
•   Firefox
•   Opera
•   AmoraK
•   Xine
•   Xara Xtreme (any chance of having this included again?)
•   Tuxcards

Hope this helps!

~Sty

* Enterprise *
Running Vector Linux 5.9 Deluxe
|| Intel Core2Duo E6600 | 4 GB DDR2 RAM | ATi Radeon X1900XT ||
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2008, 10:56:42 am »

VL6 A0.5 Testing, My Comments
=====================

Philosophy
======
OK, I've been out of the loop for a while and have had no input to what VL6 actually will be. I am assuming this version is our "Standard" version. My concern is using Gnome. I get Gnome requiring 256MB just to boot up with 134 MB of RAM used (excluding cached memory). This  compares to VL5.9 SOHO (with KDE) using only 111MB of RAM. So it appears as though our Standard version, is now using even more RAM than our SOHO version! OK, I understand we are providing LXDE, but it is using 81MB of RAM, much the same as xfce did on VL5.9 Standard. So we seem to have upped the memory usage significantly. Admittedly, there are more processes - ssh and the samba daemons are now running by default. But maybe we are getting away from being a fast distro for older machines. I understand we now have a VL Light version, but I am just raising this memory issue here to point out where we are headed.

Installer
=====
I used vinstall-iso and the text installer so will comment about graphical installer another time. Text installer went funny at Let's Configure the System screen. ASCII characters went crazy for a few screens. Anyone else noticed this? I will reload later to see if this was just a glitch, but it is a serious concern if not something just on my system.

Gnome
====
1) vasm missing from menu (in LXDE also)
2) xpdf a bit dated. What about a better pdf viewer?
3) do we really need to provide 3 browsers?
4) applications, programming, leafpad: it's really just an editor! What about providing geany and bluefish?
5) applications, system tools, manage printing: throws error: "failed to execute htmlview"
6) urxvt: replace with mrxvt for multiple tabbed terminals?
7) places, home folder: throws error: "could not open, no default application associated..."
8) gslapt: throws error: package_data: no such file....
9) system, help: takes over 15 seconds to load on a fast machine? Why?
10) system. lock screen: does not work.

LXDE
===

- right click on desktop, desktop settings: throws error: "/etc/bootsplash/themes/RA/images: no such file..."

OTHER
====

-login screen, Sessions button has more Window Mangers listed than are actually installed in the system
-VASM, SUPER does not work from icon launch
-VASM: has much cruder font than we had in VL5.9 - what happended?

Larry

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2008, 05:58:13 pm »

http://s57.radikal.ru/i155/0808/78/40923bddc02d.jpg

There are too many sessions in gdm, don't you think?
I think removing the un needed .desktop files from the sessions directory will cure that
Installer
=====
I used vinstall-iso and the text installer so will comment about graphical installer another time. Text installer went funny at Let's Configure the System screen. ASCII characters went crazy for a few screens. Anyone else noticed this? I will reload later to see if this was just a glitch, but it is a serious concern if not something just on my system.
I did experience this too, but thought it was how I went about things. Seems that the installer might have some sort of X hold as it shifts back to the text installer. I'm not sure this matters, because at boot prompt there will be an installer option to select between the two types of installers. But to verify that you're not the only one to see this. [letters-n-symbols in the shape of the dialog boxes]
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 06:05:35 pm by Masta » Logged
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2008, 12:01:22 am »

In Gnome Desktop on panel >System >Administration >Gslapt Package Manager will open the window to enter root password, however, not gslapt. On terminal 'sudo /usr/sbin/gslapt' will open.

As root >System >Administration >Gslapt Package Manager does open gslapt.

Regards
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2008, 11:50:27 pm »

I am somewhat confused. I reported that cdrom is not playing and gslapt will not open from the gnome-panel. In fact yesterday I could not get any sound out of the system al all. The day before I could use skype.

Today I booted again VL-6.0alpha and there is sound, cdrom playing. Gslapt started from the gnome-panel on first try, however, not anymore on succeeding attempts.

I have not changed any settings from the first install except installed some programs like joe, totem, gthumb and frozen-bubbles.

I will keep on reporting further on the mood of this VL version.
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2008, 05:56:49 pm »

You should post this release to Distrowatch. It doesn't matter if it's ready for people to use, they don't expect an alpha version to be, or if anyone downloads it. What matters is that VL gets it's name out there and people get accustomed to seeing it.
I disagree, posting about every early testversion on Distrowatch will just mean people will think we're big spammers. There's so much versions of VL out now, you can post something every day if Uel has a good week Smiley.

Also, I am used to seeing *buntu there, but I never ever click a single one of them.

True, you might not click on the ubuntu alpha releases, but others do. If people get used to seeing VL's name all the time, they will come check it out. Guaranteed we'd get more visitors and almost certainly more converts.

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2008, 07:23:42 pm »

Alpha and beta releases are commonly posted on Distrowatch.  I doubt anyone would object or think VL is spamming.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2008, 06:21:31 pm »

Alpha and beta releases are commonly posted on Distrowatch.  I doubt anyone would object or think VL is spamming.
Actually I think we were once already accused of "spamming" DW with our "many versions". We don't really get the center page on DW anyways, look where the Light is always at.... the side release colum.. where does ubuntu , fedora, and the other big mouthed distros go? Yeah you betcha  Wink

So really, I don't think it matters much if DW is notified about VL testing releases or not, it's probably NOT going to get posted, and even if it does, it would probably get shoved onto the side and at the bottom of the list while the big mouthed ones get the center AND the side (and that assumes there's room after the "favorites" get listed  Wink ) .

I'm all for exposure of VL, it very well deserves it. I think the best way to accomplish this is to have a community that constantly makes sure that places like DW get their act together.
Pester them !! Let them know you want to see it out there on their web pages. The more that do this, the more the chances it will be heard. Furthermore, the more places this is done at, the more places it will likely be.

Couple of Coins  Smiley
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2008, 06:14:59 pm »

In vasm services for different run levels cannot be activated since in /sbin the symlink @service to /etc/rc.d/service is missing. I put it there now and activation is started.

Futher I thought this thread for VL-6 alpha should be used as a testing ground, yet I find lengthy discussions about the merits of some programs and how to expose VL more in the media. Should such subject not be handled under different threads?

I reported that I can't print and never got a reply, or is it noticed silently and possibly corrected in the next testing release?
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2008, 12:57:34 am »

In vasm services for different run levels cannot be activated since in /sbin the symlink @service to /etc/rc.d/service is missing. I put it there now and activation is started.
Good catch with a solution there. I wondered where that went.

Futher I thought this thread for VL-6 alpha should be used as a testing ground, yet I find lengthy discussions about the merits of some programs and how to expose VL more in the media. Should such subject not be handled under different threads?
Oops   Embarrassed

I reported that I can't print and never got a reply, or is it noticed silently and possibly corrected in the next testing release?
May not be fixed in next testing release, but certainly will be before final. Perhaps around RC stages. It didn't go unnoticed .

Every bug reported is read, and added to a "checklist" (there isn't a real checklist per say, but bear with me on the explanation). As things get resolved and it gets nearer to the final, we then go back over reread to see if anything was missed. So please keep the reports coming in and thanks  Smiley
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2008, 06:44:09 pm »

I just tried a few times the program vburn and I think it's really cool. I will make it my standard burner instead of xcdroast.

Just a suggestion, the explanations are a little scant for my IQ.

Otherwise well done Nightflyer.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2008, 07:01:54 pm »

In /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall iptables are listed to be at /sbin/ instead of /usr/sbin causing errors.
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2008, 09:39:30 pm »

Have been playing with some possible themes for vl 6 what do you think of this............ Smiley

http://imagebin.ca/view/SInOay.html

cheers,
Vec
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  

Jump to: