VectorLinux
April 23, 2014, 12:11:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0 alpha testing ground  (Read 28030 times)
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2008, 11:05:42 pm »

I rather like it....
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #91 on: August 29, 2008, 04:02:01 am »

Honest truth???

Not a big fan of it. Too much of that dark grey color, and the blue bg for the menues is not so appealing to me.

Nothing like a clearlooks theme Wink

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2008, 06:00:07 am »

Have been playing with some possible themes for vl 6 what do you think of this............ Smiley

http://imagebin.ca/view/SInOay.html

cheers,
Vec

Very nice, I like it!

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2008, 04:34:13 pm »

Here's one in the works. It is not even half way completed (at the time of this screen shot). Just another idea we were playing around with for themes. It's  based on the one Vector has shown. At this time it's obviously way too blue, but as I stated, it's incomplete, but ideas / comments to enhance this are very welcomed.
http://imagebin.ca/view/KeItmRuU.html
Sty
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2008, 09:20:45 pm »

I like Vec's theme.  I would suggest a lighter color (off-white / grey-white) for the actual window area, sorta like how the forums do it.  Other than that, it has a nice feel to it. Smiley

* Enterprise *
Running Vector Linux 5.9 Deluxe
|| Intel Core2Duo E6600 | 4 GB DDR2 RAM | ATi Radeon X1900XT ||
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2008, 11:00:21 pm »

I don't like the dark backgrounds and the blue parts are too dark for my taste, too.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2008, 04:37:40 am »

how about one dark theme and one light theme?  Quite liked the blue used in 5.8
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #97 on: September 05, 2008, 09:37:28 am »

All I ask is that we steer away from Vista/XP/OSX themes and widgets. Let's give Linux it's own look, please.... Wink

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #98 on: September 05, 2008, 11:29:55 am »

All I ask is that we steer away from Vista/XP/OSX themes and widgets. Let's give Linux it's own look, please.... Wink

Amen  Smiley
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #99 on: September 05, 2008, 11:35:14 am »

Actually, when I came in to read Uelsk8s' post, I figured I better be a bit clearer. I actually meant, widget themes, window decors and icon sets.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #100 on: September 05, 2008, 02:46:53 pm »

I wrote a message yesterday with the results of the day's testing but somehow it got lost in the ether. I'll include those results along with today's.

I copied a few of the libraries mplayer complained were missing when started from a terminal. I gave up when it wanted a library not on my VL 5.9 partition on this computer (where mplayer is working). I'll wait until a new release of VL 6 includes the needed libraries. Meanwhile, Xine is working for playing music and I've installed AmaroK from the repos and RealPlayer from real.com.

There is no htop and no photo viewer in this release. I installed htop and GQview from the repos. Both seem to be working fine. I downloaded Picasa for Linux from Google. They no longer have a bin version, just rpms and debs. I ran rpm2tgz on the version I downloaded and installed it. Everything looked okay, but when I tried to start Picasa from a terminal prompt nothing happened. Didn't start, no hard drive activity, no error message. I tried various ways to start it (including as root) but nothing worked and I got no error messages to hint why this was. I finally gave up and uninstalled it. I then installed the latest Wine from our repos, downloaded the Windows version of Picasa, and installed that under Wine. Works fine.

Installing a printer from VASM has the same problems as in the last alpha. You get a 404 from the browser, but if you add /admin or /printers to the localhost address you get into the CUPS screens. The graphics are missing, though, just as in the last alpha and in some of the betas for VL 5.9. Very few printers are included. I was able to install my PostScript LJ4 just because I have an HP PPD for it. I hope the rest of the CUPS parts will be in the next release because I'm eager to test printing, plus it's hard for me to make full use of this version without being able to print.

When I start VASM from the desktop icon (the panel icon for VASMCC doesn't work), the resulting window is very small and I have to resize it in order to type my root password and resize it again when VASM comes up. This is annoying.

I installed several of my must-have programs from a few sources. I downloaded a Slackware package for OOo 2.4.1 from linuxpackages.net and installed it. Seems to be working as expected. I installed TextMaker from SoftMaker Office and it's working. I installed Scribus 1.3.3.12 from my own compilation made on a different computer. It complained that there was no GhostScript, so I installed ESP GhostScript, GPL GhostScript, and Gutenprint from our repos. Scribus was now happy and is doing well. I also installed Inkscape .46 that I compiled on another computer. As I started it from a terminal, I had many, many missing libraries. I copied all of them over from my VL 5.9 partition on this computer and Inkscape is now working as expected.

I was hoping that Ghostscript and Gutenprint would enable me to install more printers in CUPS, but no such luck. I did install the driver for my Epson Stylus Color 760 but when I attempted to print a test page, I got a "Unsupported format 'application/postscript'!" from the browser. Looking at Jobs, nothing was sent. So I guess more parts of CUPS are missing than just the drivers. Maybe this will change when I restart the computer.

I installed K3B and Amarok from our repos. It wasn't smooth sailing. There were several dependencies to be installed and GSlapt downloaded all of them but would usually hang after installing a couple. I had to kill the GSlapt process. Then I would start GSlapt again and continue with the installation. It would install another downloaded package and hang again. I had to repeat the process several times before K3B and Amarok were installed.

I installed Google Earth for Linux. I can run it as root but not as user. I don't know why, as the permissions looked okay. I do get this message when I start Google Earth from a terminal:

do_wait: drmWaitVBlank returned -1, IRQs don't seem to be working correctly.
Try running with LIBGL_THROTTLE_REFRESH and LIBL_SYNC_REFRESH unset.

Of course, it doesn't tell me how to unset those two things, whatever they are. Sad  As root, it works nevertheless. As user, it loads, puts up a startup tip screen but no type is visible, and loads the program window, which immediately disappears. No messages as to why. I haven't checked the log files yet. Maybe there'll be something there. My video card is an ATI Radeon 9200 with 128 megs. I'm using the xorg radeon driver. I get about 1300 FPS from glxgears running in a window.

VL 6 alpha has been very stable. No system crashes. Not many program crashes. I'm happy with it.

I haven't found anything special in VL 6, though. What exactly is this new version going to gain for us? I'm just curious.
--GrannyGeek
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 02:51:26 pm by GrannyGeek » Logged

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
pevsner

« Reply #101 on: September 05, 2008, 05:43:40 pm »

Hi,

Regarding the theme: I personally dont like vista"esque", seems dated already, but I always change themes anyhow.
My personal favorite gtk,icon & xfwm theme is "nimbus" from sun-opensolaris. There are versions on xfce-look.
http://www.xfce-look.org/content/show.php/Nimbus?content=87634. Looks sweet with vector under the hood.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2008, 05:48:02 pm »

Installed VL6.0-STD-A0.35.iso and found that I could not print with my parallel printer
connceted to an USB port via an adapter cable.

In cups the entry in devices for USB printer connections is missing. It is present in VL-5.8
and slackware-12.1.

Installing from hosted iso the installation went fine until it reached the point for lilo. The screen
started scrolling showing all kind of .tgz programs running diagonally. When it stopped
I scrolled up found the lilo window entered my 'Do not install lilo' and continued from there.

Glad to see that at last xterm is behaving as it is intended to do. :-) :-)

Regards
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #103 on: November 22, 2008, 05:57:26 pm »

View Profile Email Personal Message (Online)

Re: VectorLinux 6.0 alpha testing ground
« Reply #102 on: Today at 01:48:02 am »
   Reply with quoteQuote Modify messageModify
Posted it first on testing ground which seems not to be active.

Installed VL6.0-STD-A0.35.iso and found that I could not print with my parallel printer
connected to an USB port via an adapter cable.

In cups the entry in devices for USB printer connections is missing. It is present in VL-5.8
and slackware-12.1.

Installing from hosted iso the installation went fine until it reached the point for lilo. The screen
started scrolling showing all kind of .tgz programs running diagonally. When it stopped
I scrolled up found the lilo window entered my 'Do not install lilo' and continued from there.

Glad to see that at last xterm is behaving as it is intended to do. :-)

Regards
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  

Jump to: