VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 10:45:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some bad bugs in 5.9 Light  (Read 2809 times)
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« on: August 10, 2008, 02:16:49 pm »

So, after playing with it for a while, here are the problems that I found.
Apologies if some of them have been raised before.
I also didn't find a bug thread for 5.9 Light final.

1. I couldn't remove certain packages using slapt-get/gslapt. This applied to gqview and opera. The packages do remove from /var/log/packages and do not show up in gslapt, but the files are still there.
Gqview gave me told me that it couldn't find any files, so they were not removed.
I don't know what the error was in opera, but it didn't delete the files either, and I had to do it manually.
This might apply to other packages...

2. I can restart from kdm, but if I click on it for a while to choose what to boot in lilo, it crashes. Pressing shutdown also crashes it. Big time, only a hard reboot fixes it.

3. I cannot choose services for runlevels that I'm not currently running in VasmCC. Whenever I go back there, everything is the same. I need to init to another runlevel, then go to VasmCC to change it, and so forth.

4. Mounter in VasmCC (VL-Hot or HAL) doesn't do anything.

5. Window Manager in VasmCC only gives fluxbox and jwm as choices... openbox isn't there (I suppose that's what's used by lxde).

6. RipperX icon was not there. The .desktop file is not right. It should say AudioVideo for the Categories and it didn't. Also the icon points to some other place, even though there is an icon called ripper.xpm installed.

7. Nothing opens in Firefox when double-clicking on the VL Docs desktop icon. It cannot find the file because it gets confused with the location. The launcher should read "browser_vl /usr/doc...".

And that's it.
All in all, I was amazed that VL Light was so good, but there were these things to iron out (at least in my machine), which might really confuse initial users.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 04:21:47 am »

Thank You for the feedback.

I have found that some packages that are "hard-wired" into an install may not uninstall cleanly. In those cases it may help to re-install from repo, then remove them.

The old window manager chooser would need a re-write to become aware of Openbox/LXDE. Using KDM works around that issue, although it seems it does not play nice with your system Sad   Not sure about the other vasmCC problems.

Did you run the "default browser chooser" script and specify Firefox?
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 04:29:33 am »

Thanks, nightflier!

It seems the crashes in kdm I mentioned are something to do with my laptop.
I get a LOT of crashes.
I got a similar thing with VL 5.9 Std (but strangely not with 5.9 Std RC3).
I'm starting a new thread for that.

Did you run the "default browser chooser" script and specify Firefox?

I did. Nice little tool, that one  Smiley
Thanks for an amazing release.
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 01:09:16 pm »

Hi
The only problem I found, yet, in VL 5.9 Light Final is that htop doesn't open from lxde menu.
It works fine from terminal.
seems like not only I experience such issue - http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=4344.msg48597#msg48597
Everything else works really impressing. Just switched from VL STD to Light - system boots much faster.
Thanks everyone involved for such a great distro.

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
smith

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 06:53:18 am »

Hello Masters,
sorry if this is not the right place for my question.
I'm using VL 5.9 light and it's strangely buggy,
but i can deal with that. My question is
Where's the recycle bin?
Can't find it anywhere.     Angry
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 07:33:29 am »

Wecome to the VL Forums - hope you enjoy VL.

"Light" means light. There is no recycle bin. You delete a file it gets deleted. In other words, think before deleting files!  Wink

And please explain what you mean by strangely buggy. If something is "bugging" you I'm sure one of us here can help work you through to a solution...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 01:20:35 pm by lagagnon » Logged

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
cah51o

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 02:18:28 pm »

When I enable firewall in vasm>network then I get an infinite loop of "starting firewall ........" Also during startup the system hangs, probably for the same reason. When I loaded from a livecd I noticed a file rc.FireWall in /etc/rc.d. After changing filename to rc.firewall the system managed to start, but I'm not yet sure if firewall actually works. Is that a bug?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 04:24:50 pm »

Definitely a bug.

You can test your firewall using Steve Gibson's ShieldsUp at http://www.grc.com/ (scroll down to the shieldsup link).
smith

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 04:32:33 pm »

Thanks Lagagnon,
Now it's clear, no recycle bin.
I tried VL 5.9 STD but
I can't install vmware workstation 6 on it,
pls post some instruction, vmware is important to me,
for educational purposes.
I really like VL because it's light and fast, i can allocate
more ram for the guest OS's.  Kiss
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 05:18:22 pm »

@smith:  Welcome to Vector Linux.  I think you'll find the community helpful and friendly.

Please start another thread for vmware.  People won't notice your question in a VL Light bugs thread.  Also, please explain in that thread what you mean by "can't install".  What problem did you run into with Standard?  What error messages did you receive.  For the most part Light is a subset of Standard so if it didn't work in Standard it's unlikely to work in Light.  If you adequately describe the problem it's possible one of us can help you work through it.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 06:39:21 pm »

When I enable firewall in vasm>network then I get an infinite loop of "starting firewall ........" Also during startup the system hangs, probably for the same reason. When I loaded from a livecd I noticed a file rc.FireWall in /etc/rc.d. After changing filename to rc.firewall the system managed to start, but I'm not yet sure if firewall actually works. Is that a bug?

I have been beating my head against this wall for some time. The firewall in 5.9 Standard and 5.9 Lite both have this issue as detailed in the following threads:

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=5454.0

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=6040.0

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
cah51o

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 09:15:22 pm »

Here is the code from rc.firewall that causes the problem
Code:
  ## if exist, start the new default firewall service 
  if [ -x $service_firewall ]; then
      if [ ! -x $rc_firewall ]; then
        chmod +x $rc_firewall
      fi
      echo "Starting firewall service ..."
      service firewall start
      return $?
  fi
$service_firewall is not defined, so the first test becomes true (same happens for $rc_firewall in the second test, but this is not fatal), and the script executes "service firewall start" which results in a never-ending implicit recursive call.

In another segment of the script you can see this code, which I think is an acceptable way of handling undefined variables.
Code:
  if [ "$FIREWALL_SCRIPT" ] && [ -x $FIREWALL_SCRIPT ]; then
     echo "Starting firewall $FIREWALL_SCRIPT ..."
     $FIREWALL_SCRIPT start
     return $?
  fi
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 04:25:34 am by cah51o » Logged
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 09:40:41 pm »

Don't know if this will help or not as I use 5.9 (standard, I believe-its not soho) instead of vector light. Here is what would happen to me.  I would add big paws code at the end of rc.firewall, and it seemed to work fine.  Then I would check services in Vasm and it said my firewall was not enabled, so I would enable it.  Then go to Network and, according to the instructions, open a firewall.  Then the machine would freeze and not boot.  I would then use Puppy to look at etc/rc.d on my machine and delete rc.firewall.  Machine would boot then into Vector. But no firewall.  At a friend's suggestion, and with no rc.firewall at all on my machine, I downloaded guarddog and set that up. It says it creates a new rc.firewall.  Anyway, it seems to work fine, though, sadly, I now have to remember to enable guarddog whenever I reboot. 

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 09:58:09 pm »

Don't know if this will help or not as I use 5.9 (standard, I believe-its not soho) instead of vector light. Here is what would happen to me.  I would add big paws code at the end of rc.firewall, and it seemed to work fine.  Then I would check services in Vasm and it said my firewall was not enabled, so I would enable it.  Then go to Network and, according to the instructions, open a firewall.  Then the machine would freeze and not boot.  I would then use Puppy to look at etc/rc.d on my machine and delete rc.firewall.  Machine would boot then into Vector. But no firewall.  At a friend's suggestion, and with no rc.firewall at all on my machine, I downloaded guarddog and set that up. It says it creates a new rc.firewall.  Anyway, it seems to work fine, though, sadly, I now have to remember to enable guarddog whenever I reboot. 

I believe that Guarddog is a solution for 5.9 Standard because the kdelibs are already installed. I'll have to see if they are already in 5.9 Light but, if not, it seems a shame to have to install them in 5.9 Light to enable the firewall.....

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 10:10:00 pm »

I am currently using firestarter. It comes with lots of dependencies (gnome libs) but you really only have to run it once to set it up (or to change rules).
Otherwise, the rules can be in iptables at reboot without starting firestarter.

I have packaged it for 5.9 so that it would create a "firestarter" service in VASM that you can enable (just like the "firewall" service).
It should be in the testing repo soon.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: