VectorLinux
September 30, 2014, 05:42:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Some news  (Read 5766 times)
tomh38
Vectorian

« on: August 11, 2008, 06:20:11 am »

I apologize for not being around the VL forums lately; I try to be part of the community and help out when I can.  Recently my mother was in a fairly bad car accident.  She has no life-threatening injuries, but does have a skull fracture and a broken leg.  My siblings and I have been caring for her; for me this has even included taking time from work.  I don't have much time left to be in here.

I expect that my mother will make a full recovery.  Nevertheless, I ask that any of you who pray to pray for her.  For those who don't pray, your thoughts and good wishes would be equally appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 06:40:09 am »

Hi Tom, the best wishes for your mom. I hope a prompt and full recovery for her and to have you here as always.

Regards, Rodrigo

PS:  I will start to pray just for you Smiley

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 06:55:59 am »

Tom I'm sorry! I couldn't even think of "my" Mom going through that! I am glad to hear she's expected to recover. You do what you've got to do. I know if I was in your shoes and had to choose where my time was spent, the choice would be easy. I'd be doing what you're doing.

I wish your mother a speedy recovery. You are good people, so I imagine she is a gem.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 07:24:51 am »

Since I don't pray, I extend a little advice: your doctor may have already gone over this, but watch for signs of post-concussion syndrome, which, surprisingly, is not well-known. Close observation of a patient's mental condition after traumatic head injury is very important for ensuring full recovery.

/a complimentary post free of cynicism, just for you

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 07:33:21 am »

Best wishes for her speedy and full recovery.

We're glad to have you around whenever you can  Smiley
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 08:30:34 am »

Also no prayers from good 'ole atheïst me, but lots of best wishes in regards to your mom's health/recovery.

<Lame sig>
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 08:33:33 am »

Thanks for your wishes everyone.  One of the things I love about the VL community is that people do actually care about one another here.  I've found that to be kind of rare on the net (at least in forums and discussion threads).

EFG:  Thanks for the information about post-concussion syndrome.  I had never heard of it.  Tomorrow I'm taking my mom to see a neurologist.  If he doesn't mention it, I'll ask him about it.

Thanks again everyone.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 08:40:13 am »

I'm sorry to hear that.
Best wishes and I hope your mum recovers very fast.
Hang in there.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 09:28:31 am »

I hope she recovers well.
She is in my prayers.

Uelsk8s
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 10:08:27 am »

I am relieved that there were no "life threatening" injuries and do pray that she will have a full recovery (no lingering problems) and that you and your family will be well from this too.
Mike

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 10:15:30 am »

Let me add my voice to those offering good wishes for a speedy recovery.  Tom, my heart goes out to you and your family.

All the best,
Cait

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 12:36:52 pm »

And I'd like to add mine, time like this remind us how thin that thread really is.  Best wishes for a fast recovery all round.
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 03:55:34 pm »

Mine as well - I know first hand what it's like to look after an ailing parent, and the strain it can place on you.

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 04:05:43 pm »

Thanks for your wishes everyone.  One of the things I love about the VL community is that people do actually care about one another here.  I've found that to be kind of rare on the net (at least in forums and discussion threads).

Yeah on most fora, I can virtually guarantee that you'd probably get at least three "Suck it up, loser" responses.

EFG:  Thanks for the information about post-concussion syndrome.  I had never heard of it.  Tomorrow I'm taking my mom to see a neurologist.  If he doesn't mention it, I'll ask him about it.

np

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
dawnsboy
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 05:02:04 pm »

Tom,

As a health care professional with lots of experience in trauma/critical care medicine, long term and home care disciplines I can tell you that most often the thing that gets people over the "hump" in their recoveries is the love and attention provided to them by the ones closest to their hearts.  Humor will also help.  Laughter when possible is excellent medicine.  I am sure that  you are up to that task.  These things will often succeed when medicines fail.  She is in my heart this day and I will offer prayer for her recovery.

Custom Mini-Itx - VL6.0 Light
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: