VectorLinux
April 25, 2014, 12:09:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't remember how... [Solved]  (Read 3999 times)
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« on: August 12, 2008, 11:47:29 am »

This is really irking me.  I just did this a month or two ago and I can't remember for the life of me how to compile a custom kernel.

make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install

Then copy the image, System.map and .config to /boot
I was going by file:///usr/doc/VLHelpCenter/vlfaq/kernel2.6.x.htm
but I have a gut feeling that's not what I used for my last kernel.

I'm getting missmatch errors and lilo won't boot it complaining about something being too big. I must be screwing something up. Could someone please list the commands for me before I kill something?
Hanu's wiki howto isn't accessible anymore so I'm not having any luck "self-helping"

TIA,
Lee
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 04:18:24 am by exeterdad » Logged
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 04:55:41 pm »

http://kernelnewbies.org/FAQ/KernelCompilation

Bigpaws
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 07:27:05 pm »

Thanks Bigpaws, really appreciated. But the info seems as I'm doing it. I even went as far as digging Uels script out of our latest kernel's sources and issuing the commands one by one.  Still the same.

I'm sure it's the snd_hda_intel module sources I'm modding are causing this. I'm using this guide http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/11c11040/HOWTO-Agere-11c11040-HDA.html

In a nutshell my embedded winmodem doesn't work and I've been following the linmodem mailing list because there has been hope lately. This mod and a newly compiled alsa-driver that matches the kernel will allow a new modem driver to work
I'm confident it's not my .config, I'm using the same one for the earlier custom kernel I built for the same sources.

I guess my faxing will have to wait. Smiley
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 07:32:07 pm »

Which kernel are you using?

If you are using a newer kernel try downgrading.

HTH

Bigpaws
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 06:32:10 am »

The kernel is a custom 2.6.25.7 with a extra version added so it will live next to my VL compiled 2.6.25.7. The kernel config has much of what is suggested at lesswatts.org to green it up.  Also changed the arch and cut out support for some obscure hardware. Without modding the snd_hda_intel module the kernel builds and runs well. The same config with modded module just won't boot.

I did however notice the module "appeared" to build.  The directions on the linmodem site did instruct the user to mod the module sources, then build the modules, then manually copy the snd_hda_intel module to the correct location.  It didn't say anything about rebuilding and installing everything as I did.  Maybe the module will build fine and be useable, but the kernel build will flop.  I dunno.

So, I'm going to use my config to build the kernel without modding the module sources. If it runs. I'll then mod the module sources to build the module again and then slide it under the hood of the working kernel and see if it runs.

I'm not crazy about going back to a older kernel. This laptop is pretty new, and it seems better supported with each new kernel. And since my acpi brightness stuff needs to be scripted, I have totally rewritten my original scripts to fit the newer kernel as things have evolved and my scripts don't seem to be backwards compatible.  I just don't want to have to go through that again.  The winmodem is not that important to me.  I want the luxury of being able to fax or dial up if needed, but it's not something I need to do often.

I'll keep you posted.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 04:17:33 am »

Ummmm...  Figured out my problem. A brainfart actually. I haven't been running lilo after installing the kernel. I've been naming the kernel the same as my existing "green" kernel. I knew I didn't need to edit the lilo.conf since the names were the same.  Didn't occur to me that I should have to run lilo as well.

Got the module running, the additional modem modules built and loaded.  There is a new modem device in /dev as expected.  I don't know if it works or not as I can't seem to get any response out of it.  But I guess that's for another thread.

Thanks for the help Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: