VectorLinux
August 21, 2014, 11:44:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Build-kernel script explanation?  (Read 5230 times)
kukibl
« on: June 10, 2008, 12:35:50 am »

Would someone be kind to explain how to use build-kernel script in /usr/src?

Basically, what is it for? For who is it meant? How it works? I don't know much about shell scripting, so I don't understand it that good. Is it meant just for 22.14 (VL59) kernel?

One more question... I've compiled kernel many times on Slackware and never had opportunity to apply patches. I would like to know can I compile vanilla kernel Slack-way (make bzImage; make modules; make modules_install) and what will I lose if I don't apply patches?

Thank you in advance! Smiley
kukibl
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 09:01:21 am »

Bump... come on, anyone? Undecided
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 09:12:55 am »

sorry kukibl,
I must have missed this the first time you posted.
The buildkernel script does just that, It builds the kernel.
you can use it to build any kernel, you just need to change the kernel version number in the script.
shell scripting is, just putting all the commands you would type at the CL in a file then they are ran one line at a time.
you can compile a kernel on VL the same as SW.
If you dont use a patch you will lose the additions it makes to the kernel, for instance if you dont use the bootsplash patch you wont have the fancy bootsplash at boot time.

HTH,
Uelsk8s
kukibl
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 03:18:19 am »

Thank you very much, uelsk8s!  Wink

I am sorry for being boring, but guess I will have to rephrase question concerning patches...

When I asked about patches, I meant is there any patch that must be applied, the patch that is directly related with some VL's system funcionality? I don't use bootsplash, so I don't need that patch. What about squashfs and other patches?

Also, do I need newer version patches if I would like to compile 2.6.25 kernel and what is advantage of compiling kernel using build script and manual way?

Thank you once again, uelsk8s!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 03:23:17 am by kukibl » Logged
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 04:58:39 am »

none of the patches there are essential, unless you need them of course  Smiley
the squash and lzma patches are for livecd's
You may need to update some, or even all of the patches with a newer kernel.
the advantage of using the script is you would only have to type the name of the script and not wait and type each command after the prior finishes.

Uelsk8s
kukibl
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 08:31:02 am »

Thank you very much for explanation, uelsk8s! It was really helpful.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: