VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 04:10:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Intel 3945abg wireless card  (Read 1715 times)
thuydon

« on: September 28, 2008, 05:02:14 am »

Hi Everyone
   I just installed VL 5.9.1 SOHO, and i can't get my wireless card to work.  I'm using VLwifi to try and configure it, it finds interface wlan0.  I go through the configuration process, Security=WPA, ESSID="myessid",   WPA-Passphrase="mypassphrase", Options="start at boot" & "dhcp".  After all this it says it finds an address, but when i run iwconfig wlan0, it says the access point is not associated.  The iwl3945 module is being loaded but i don't know if the firmware is being loaded or not.
   Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 06:32:03 am »

I am no wireless expert but have you tried everything in this HOWTO?:
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=1282.0

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
thuydon

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 09:59:09 am »

I finally figured out the problem, the firmware file was not being loaded, it doesn't seem to exist in /lib/firmware.  I had to download the firmware file from Intel's website.  I had to add a "1" in the firmware files name, because that seems to be what the driver was looking for, but after rebooting everything seems to work now.  I don't understand why VL has the driver installed but no firmware file, doesn't make sense to me, but then i don't get paid to think, live and learn.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 08:52:40 pm »

More often than not, proprietary firmwares are covered by various licenses that make it difficult (if not impossible) to bundle the actual firmware.  Unfortunately, this usually results in the user needing to get the firmware themself, accept the license terms, and install it themself.  I don't know that this is the case in your situation, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is.  Regardless, I'm glad to hear you got everything working.  If you'd like, or have the time, it would be great to get a post on how you accomplished getting your wireless device working so that the next person with your same hardware has some instruction to guide them - even if the process is generalized and there are some unknowns of what made it work; something is better than nothing.

Cheers!!
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 02:15:32 pm »

My 3945 card (not sure about the exact version) worked without having to download firmware from intel on previous versions of VL. The laptop with that card is gone now though, so unfortunately I can't test with soho . I'm not so sure it was chosen not to be included, may just have been forgotten.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: