VectorLinux
November 23, 2014, 02:56:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Error on re-installing cxxlibs (Symphony won't install) (SOLVED)  (Read 3614 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« on: August 16, 2008, 12:04:02 pm »

I downloaded symphony from IBM.  When installing, it errored out, saying it needed libstdc++.so.5.  I checked on slackware 12 (I use Vector 5.9) and found that libstdc++.so.5 apparently should be loaded by default.  Tried to delete and reinstall cxxlibs in gslapt.  Got error.  Now gslapt shows that cxxlibs is not loaded and when I try to load it I get a PKgtools error.  Run Pkgtools and get no error.  Tried installing cxxlibs from slapt-get and get following error:

"ERROR: Package is corrupt: /home/ftp/veclinux/packages/./base/cxxlibs-6.0.8-i486-4.tlz
Failed to execute command: [sbin/installpkg /home/ftp/veclinux/packages/./base/cxxlibs-6.0.8-i486-4.tlz"

Tried deleting cxxlibs from /home/ftp etc and reinstalling, with same error.

I thought initially that I had one of those "link" problems, but now think I need to figure out how to get cxxlibs to install. 

Any suggestions are appreciated.

John
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 11:47:51 am by sledgehammer » Logged

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 11:07:21 pm »

UPDATE:  Well, I gather I really did something bigtime wrong.  I must have messed up cxxlibs somehow before I tried to install Symphony, for now firefox, tuxcards and likely other programs already installed won't run.  Only thing I can think of that might have messed it up was my attempt to load Star Office 9 beta, which wouldn't finish installing (I assumed it was a java problem) and textmaker, which would. 

All this started because I wanted to see if I could find a program other than kword which would export to wordperfect. 

So now my quest is to see if I can get cxxlibs to install without giving a pkgtools error. 

Any help is appreciated. 

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 04:05:10 am »

I meant to comment that I was able to install cxxlibs without issues yesterday. I wish I had some advice for you, but I don't.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 01:53:21 pm »

Do you use 5.9 standard?  I presume you used gslapt.  Was it not already installed?  If that's the case, perhaps I did something wrong while trying to install libstdc++.so.5.  That's what I first tried but can't recall how far I got.  I may have tried to directly download libstdc++.so.5 from slackware, though I doubt it.  I also recall getting on the Univ. of Oregon repository on gslap and looking around.  Anyway, here is a shot of my libstd files, which may trigger some thoughts by someone:

« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 01:55:02 pm by sledgehammer » Logged

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 05:36:14 pm »

I'm using 5.9 Standard as well.  I re-installed via Gslapt.  I just gave it a shot in a 5.9 Standard chroot I have laying around.  I'm not eager to risk hosing my "Oh so cozy" install.

My chroots are fully functional so here's my slapt-get output:
VL5.9-STD-Gold (CHROOT)://
root:# slapt-get --search cxxlibs
cxxlibs-6.0.8-i486-4 [inst=yes]: cxxlibs (C++ shared library compatibility package)
root:# removepkg cxxlibs

Removing package cxxlibs-6.0.8-i486-4...

root:# slapt-get --install cxxlibs
Reading Package Lists... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  cxxlibs
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 601.0kB of archives.
After unpacking 2.8MB of additional disk space will be used.
Get http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/packages/ cxxlibs 6.0.8-i486-4 [601.0kB]...Done

Preparing to install cxxlibs-6.0.8-i486-4

.-----.-----------------------------------------------------------------------.
| 1/1 | Installing cxxlibs-6.0.8-i486-4.tlz                                   |
'-----'-----------------------------------------------------------------------'

.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| cxxlibs (C++ shared library compatibility package)                          |
|                                                                             |
| This package contains the shared libraries needed to run dynamically        |
| linked C++ binaries linked with older versions of libstdc++.                |
'-----------------------------------------------------------------------------'

Executing install script for cxxlibs-6.0.8-i486-4...

Done
root:#

Installed without a hitch.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 08:36:41 pm »

Thanks Exeterdad.  Risking your stable install was beyond the call of duty, way beyond.  Tried same thing here and get corrupted file error.  Tried upgrading all programs but errored out at xdialog.  Tomorrow I will see if I can get the file off the 5.9 disk and physically replace it. 

Seamonkey, lyx, dosemu, abiword, kword and open office are still working.  Therefore, so am I.  I pray they keep working for the next couple of days. Then perhaps I can undergo hypnosis or waterboarding or some such. Vector is pretty bullet proof.  God only knows what I did.  Something might come up.  Or perhaps I will leave it as is and see if I can't do a better job of exporting to word perfect from kword.

Thanks again.

never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 08:37:23 am »

Remind me to make a motion at our Lions Club meeting tonight to revoke your root access privileges.....  Wink Grin Cheesy

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 08:52:15 am »

LOL
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 09:17:18 am »

never_stop_learning.

If I were you, I wouldn't turn my computer on today.  I have a drone programmed to drop an incendiary device on your IP.

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 10:29:15 pm »

I just reloaded Vector 5.9 and tried to install symphony from ibm and got the same error "Installation requires libstdc++.so.5 to continue."  This is what started the whole problem with cxxlibs.  Doesn't matter whether I am root or not.

And when trying to install star office 8, I still get the same error "The download file appears to be corrupted.  Please download staroffice again."  I have downloaded it so many times that Sun refuses to allow me to download again.  I plan on calling Sun and seeing if they will turn the download machine back on.

Perhaps I am downloading Star Office 8 wrong but I wonder if the file is really corrupted.  I think there is a problem with Vector 5.9. Or with Symphony and Star Office 8. Or, more likely, with me. As I said, this is a brand new install of vector 5.9 (I downloaded it today) and it contains the file libstdc++.so.5

Concentrating on Symphony for a moment, I created a symbolic link to /usr/lib for libstdc++.so.5, ran ./IBM_Lotus_Symphony_linux.bin and apparently got past that error. At least it didn't show.

I now get, whether or not in root, the following error (quoted in part)
"mktemp: cannot make temp dir /tmp/symphony3927122016122.tmp: Invalid argument
tar: option requires and argument -- C
Try 'tar --help ..."

I got on one of the symphony help forums and was told to do

*sed -i s/" \/tmp\/symphony.tmp\$RANDOM"/""/ IBM_Lotus_Symphony_linux.bin*

to cure the mktemp problem, but don't know how to do that. "Sed" is apparently for another flavor of linux. Looked on symphony forums and am told that you can't install symphony on versions with old mktemp as old mktemp supports only 6 characters.  I don't see a new mktemp in main 4 gslapt repositories, so, will try another day.  I gather slackware 12 must use old mktemp.

I tried loading both programs in vector 6.0 but got the same errors, except that, since I didn't do a symbolic link on libstdc++.so.5, I don't know if I would have received the mktemp error or not in Vector 6.0.

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 11:47:10 am »

Well, I got Symphony to load.  Had to install mktemp-1.6.  Seems to work fine.  Now, if Sun will just turn the star office 8 download machine back on.

Basically, to install IBM Lotus Symphony on VL 5.9 standard, one has to:

1.  create a symbolic link of libstdc++so.5 to /usr/lib, and
2   install the new mktemp 1.6 (from mktemp.org).

Also, finding the launcher is difficult after installation. Have to go to "/opt/ibm/lotus/Symphony/framework/shared/eclipse/plugins/com.ibm.productivity.tools.standalone.addin_3.0.1.20080602-1703/apps/IBM Lotus Symphony" and link to desktop.

John

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 08:53:28 pm »

Please let us know how you like Symphony and what it offers that OOo doesn't. I had the impression that Symphony was closely related to OOo.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 07:57:40 am »

I put "solved" on the title to this thread as the cxxlibs problem was solved and as symphony installs and works fine. However, symphony's help files which are online don't work right yet, so heavy use of symphony by my staff will have to wait awhile.  Problem is getting symphony to use my browser to access the help files.  I get a MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME error.

The thing I like most about Symphony is its simplicity in relation to Open Office.  Open Office does too much that I don't need. But there are tradeoffs.  For example, symphony only saves to odt. 

I am using it now and will report after heavier use and also when the help file problem is solved.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 08:47:58 am by sledgehammer » Logged

never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 11:54:26 pm »

Your incendiary device missed..... Wink Tongue

I am trying to figure out what you get with Symphony that  would cause us to install it versus Open Office.....Huh?? AbiWord and Gnumeric work just fine with OOO as an option for those who need the additional functionality.

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 10:12:30 pm »

A full response will have to wait additional use.  Open Office needs a "lite" version for folks who want to use it for daily work.  Or perhaps versions tailored to the various types of use.  It is simply too big and too complicated and does not, in my opinion, do all that good a job in rendering documents done by other word processors. I can never seem to figure out its numbering system. Getting the conversion fonts right and all that simply takes too much time.  Abiword is much easier to use but it too fails to convert other formats very well.  Symphony, to me at least, is less complicated and anything less complicated allows one to concentrate on more on substance, and less on form.  Though my use of it is still limited, my initial use of Symphony for other than odt docs has not been very pleasant. 

With the possible exception of Open Office, none of the free word processors are as good as Star Office or Text Maker in converting documents from one format to another and even star office and text maker don't port to Word Perfect, requiring the circuitous use of rtf as an intermediary.  To deal adequately with word perfect documents, one has to load the linux version of word perfect (the wine version, in my opinion, is useless) and I don't believe Word Perfect is still maintaining the linux version (and may not even own it anymore).

The future of word processing is probably to be found in online programs such as Google Docs and Symphony works well with Google Docs.   Google Docs still has some rough edges and occasionally Google Doc documents need additional formatting before printing.  I find Symphony an excellent partner with Google Docs for this purpose. Do the work in Google Docs.  Let others edit it in Google Docs.  Then use Symphony for final formatting and printing. In fact, I think Symphony and Google Docs, both presently free programs, may be all anyone would need for most purposes. 

I should probably note that lyx is the best writing tool out there right now, bar none.  However, if non-lyx users are going to be editing the document, conversion problems often make it a waste to start it in lyx. 

I will close by noting that, to get the Symphony Help files working right, one needs rbistolfi's MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME solution, i.e. after Symphony is installed, as above, a Seamonkey user starts it from the command line (not the icon) as follows:

$ export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/opt/seamonkey/lib/seamonkey-1.1.7/
then
$ cd /opt/ibm/lotus/Symphony/framework/shared/eclipse/plugins
then
$ cd com.ibm.productivity.tools.standalone.addin_3.0.1.20080602-1703/apps
and finally
$ ./IBM\ Lotus\ Symphony

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: