VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 06:54:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Permissions issue with digital camera  (Read 3223 times)
Birdman

« on: September 12, 2008, 12:20:38 pm »

Following a recent update I had a few issues with getting gtkam to work. After a little help on another tread we tracked it down a library problem and created a symlink. I can now use gtkam as root but not user. I have checked the /etc/udev/rules.d/30-libgphoto2.rules file and the camera attributes look fine to me:
Code:
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04cb", ATTRS{idProduct}=="01c5", MODE="0660", GROUP="users"
Any ideas why the permissions aren't working?
BTW I am member of the group "user".
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 01:42:27 pm »

Following a recent update I had a few issues with getting gtkam to work. After a little help on another tread we tracked it down a library problem and created a symlink. I can now use gtkam as root but not user. I have checked the /etc/udev/rules.d/30-libgphoto2.rules file and the camera attributes look fine to me:
Code:
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04cb", ATTRS{idProduct}=="01c5", MODE="0660", GROUP="users"
Any ideas why the permissions aren't working?
BTW I am member of the group "user".

I had similar problems when I tried to run Gtkam with the new libtool package. Even after creating the symlink, some things didn't work the way I expected. In the end, I went back to the older version. I'm having similar problems attempting to build the new version of libtool.

As a first step, I would suggest that you back out the new libtool and reinstall the original. I'll let you know if I succeed in building a new version that works...

I would also suggest that you try accessing the camera using the command line. In the past, I've used that to check that I've got the udev rules for all the cameras built properly. Try a couple of commands from a terminal, as your normal user:

Code:
gphoto2 --auto-detect
Code:
gphoto2 --summary

and, in a scratch directory:

Code:
gphoto2 -T

If those commands work, (the last one should download thumbnails for all the photos on the camera), the permissions are correct and the problem is still Gtkam and libtool related.

Since moving back to the old libtool, I have no problems accessing my camera, but I've only got the one camera to test with. I'm also looking a rebuilding gphoto2 and libgphoto2 soon, since I think I've found a better way of handling generation of the udev rules for all supported cameras.

If you still have problems, it may be that there is an error in my original libgphoto2 build, so let me know...

paul.
Birdman

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 10:53:52 am »

Thanks Paul, I'll try a few things out and let you know how I get on.

Alan
Birdman

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 11:14:30 am »

Paul,

I can execute the auto-detect as a user just fine. The other two commands give this error:
Code:
*** Error ***             
An error occurred in the io-library ('Could not claim the USB device'): Could not claim interface 0 (Operation not permitted). Make sure no other program or kernel module (such as sdc2xx, stv680, spca50x) is using the device and you have read/write access to the device.
*** Error (-53: 'Could not claim the USB device') ***       

For debugging messages, please use the --debug option.
Debugging messages may help finding a solution to your problem.
If you intend to send any error or debug messages to the gphoto
developer mailing list <gphoto-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>, please run
gphoto2 as follows:

env LANG=C gphoto2 --debug --debug-logfile=my-logfile.txt -T

Please make sure there is sufficient quoting around the arguments.
Alan
Birdman

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 01:13:08 pm »

This is getting worse. My daughter has a new FujiFilm A820. Details are in the udev rules file and gphoto2 --auto-detect acknowledges this. However, I get errors even as root. I have downgraded the library (but not gtkam) and I get the same problem. The Finepix F40fd will work as root, but not as user with the old library.

Alan
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 07:54:24 pm »

This is getting worse. My daughter has a new FujiFilm A820. Details are in the udev rules file and gphoto2 --auto-detect acknowledges this. However, I get errors even as root. I have downgraded the library (but not gtkam) and I get the same problem. The Finepix F40fd will work as root, but not as user with the old library.

Sorry - you've downgraded the library. Which library - libhphoto2 or libtool?

I wish I could say I know what the problem is, but at the moment, I've no idea at all. I have seen a couple of problems with using a low number for the udev rules (though I'm far from sure why that should be), and I've also found a better way of generating the rules than using the complicated method of creating a temporary package, installing it, generating the rules and then uninstalling it (whew!). As a result, I've done a new build of libgphoto2. As soon as I can put it up, I'll give you a URL - I'd be grateful if you could install it and see if it works any better for you.

The really annoying part of all this is that the original 2.4.2 and the new build both work perfectly here.....

paul.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 12:07:54 pm »

Hi Alan.

I've uploaded the new libgphoto2 build to my own webspace. As below:

http://www.users.waitrose.com/~paulm/files/libgphoto2-2.4.2-i586-2vl59.tlz

Can you download it and try it? The rebuild consists of a different way of building the udev rules, plus a change to the number used for those rules (using a higher number has been suggested as a more reliable way to get udev to handle them). I don't know if its going to help - other than the change from 30-libgphoto2.rules to 90-libgphoto2.rules, the body of the rules themselves looks identical.

I also forgot to ask - what mode do the cameras you are trying operate in? ptp or as mass storage devices?

Beyond that, I think we need someone else to test - I only have access to the one camera, which works fine with the current build, so its difficult to know if its a problem with the libgphoto2 build or something else on your system.

Anyhow, hope that helps. Let me know how you get on, please.

paul.
Birdman

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 02:23:43 pm »

Hi Paul.

Thanks for your help. I've been out all day today and will not get a chance to try this until tomorrow evening at the earliest.

It was the libtool library that I downgraded.

The cameras are both ptp. I only have one to test now (F40fd). The other went of the university with my daughter - hence why I have been out today - 325 miles round trip!

Should I put the new libtool lib back in place before I try your new libgphoto2?

Alan
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 03:37:55 pm »

Thanks for your help. I've been out all day today and will not get a chance to try this until tomorrow evening at the earliest.

No problem. The updates to gphoto2 and libgphoto2 have been sitting in testing for a while. They work for me, but that doesn't mean that they work for everyone, so having you test them is very useful....

It was the libtool library that I downgraded.

Ok, wasn't sure from your last message.

The cameras are both ptp. I only have one to test now (F40fd). The other went of the university with my daughter - hence why I have been out today - 325 miles round trip!

Right. That removes one more variable - libgphoto2 handles both ptp and mass storage, and I have seen circumstances where it would handle ptp but not mass storage.

Smiley That's quite a trip - I guess she won't be visiting too often...

Should I put the new libtool lib back in place before I try your new libgphoto2?

Urk. No, please don't do that. It has a few problems, and from a message Caitlyn left earlier, I think it is being pulled.

I've had a try at building it myself since the problem arose, and so far I've failed to get it to work properly. Looks like it needs someone with more knowledge than I have to get a working build.

I've just built gphoto2 and libgphoto2 for VL 6.0. They both work here, but whether they will work in the wild is a different matter. I've also just tried to build Gtkam under VL 6.0, but that has failed - a dependency library it has isn't in the current repo and I can't get it to build. What fun....

Anyhow, good luck with the new libgphoto2 build.

paul.
Birdman

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 02:10:18 pm »

Paul,

That appears to have done the trick Smiley

To clarify:

I removed libgphoto2, and that took gphoto2 and gtkam with it. I installed your new version of libgphoto2 and then pulled gphoto2 and gtkam from the repo. I did a quick test with gphoto2 in a shell and all was well. I then fired up gtkam and downloaded a test picture and that worked fine.

Many thanks.

Alan
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 03:23:34 pm »

That appears to have done the trick Smiley

To clarify:

I removed libgphoto2, and that took gphoto2 and gtkam with it. I installed your new version of libgphoto2 and then pulled gphoto2 and gtkam from the repo. I did a quick test with gphoto2 in a shell and all was well. I then fired up gtkam and downloaded a test picture and that worked fine.

Grin I'm really glad to hear that. I could wish I knew a little bit more about why it always worked for me but didn't for you, but I'll settle for it working...

Many thanks.

You're welcome. Thanks for testing. I'll submit the new build to the repo tonight.

paul.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: